SASS Wire Forum

.38-55 Long Range shooters---What bullet do you like?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Are 340 to 350 gr bullets kind of heavy for long range single shot side matches?

What bullets do you long range cowboys like in your rifles?

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

I use the 260 gr from Desperado Cowboy Bullets for both BP and smokeless loads in both lever and single shot rifles.

They have different diametes to fit most old and new rifles,

Slug your bore to get the best fit (usually .001-,002 over bioe diameter)

Ol' #4

The 38-55 caliber rifle was Old Scout's (RIP) favorite caliber. He shot competitively starting in the middle 1940's. He also spent one day a week going to the range and testing anything and everything he could get his hands on. He wanted to know what did what. He shot everything over a chronograph and recorded 10 shot groups. (Sorry to say his life time of data collection was lost after his death. It got tossed out by someone not knowing what it was)

But we still have a few articles he wrote. There is one on bullets and rifle barrel twists. It is very basic and not very technical. Thank goodness.

From March 2007...."Put some spin on your Bullets" by Old Scout

I have 2 favorite loads for the 265 grain RNFP bullet, one with Unique and one with IMR 4895. The one with Unique is a great introductory round for your kids and women just starting off in their shooting careers.

For longrange Lever ,,, side matches I use 249gr. bullets they are RNFP bullets and can be pushed over 1,900 with-out leading for hunting ...

For use In Longrange single shot matches all thee of us use bullets weighing 328 gr. these a pointed bullets with a 2,5 mm (.10 cal) flat spot at the nose ...

Jabez Cowboy

Precision cast 265gr. RNFPGC the gas checks allow you to drive em a little faster if needed with no worry of leading an YES there sass legal. Both my 336 an my 1885 I had liked IMR 3031 but as any reloader knows not all are the same as far as pet loads. Finding load is half the fun ENJOY !!!! NK

My rifle H & R 38/55 likes .376 dia, 260 grain Desperado bullets with some IMR 4227.

My 38-55 rifle is an original Stevens Model 44-1/2 with a .379 bore. I usually shoot a 255 grain bullet from an original Winchester mould with 42 grains of 3F Swiss. At Cowboy long range distances it is an excellent load.

Lucky

Are 340 to 350 gr bullets kind of heavy for long range single shot side matches?

What bullets do you long range cowboys like in your rifles?

The remake of the Ideal 375166 has a long bearing surface and the 320gr bullet calculates to 17.65 in a 38-55 bore having a 1:18 twist. I shot this bullet with BP to 500 meters.

For cowboy long range, there is no distance that it won't be inaccurate

Give this a read ... http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13911

Archived