SASS Wire Forum

Wounded Warrior Project

Well, yes and no. What they said was they welcome a 'wounded warrior' to appear on the show and talk about their experience.... they will not have a foundation representative appear on the show or talk about their policy....

Looks like they are trying to 'spin' this to save donations and not reversing their stance,

AND as of today the policy is STILL on their website here:

Wounded Warrior

Here is the update on 'GunTalk'. It sure took a lot of pressure from the public as well as media organizations to get an answer....

Examiner/ gun talk posting

Looks to me like they are standing by their policy as unchanged, but still want our money....

JJJ-D

:ph34r:/>/>/> :ph34r:/>/>/>

that's good, but in a way this is a good thing that happened, as other good charities will also be included in my contributions - it certainly has opened my eyes to the other good works others are doing besides WWP.

But yes, for five years I have been proud to help out WWP and still will give what I can to them, but also to other good charites and programs. I am no JP Morgan though :lol:/>/>

GG~:FlagAm:/>

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WWP is like a lot of charities that began with lofty goals but somehow....other things got in the way.

A lot of charities asking for a very limited amount of (my) available money makes me research any organization that I contemplate making a donation to. Organizations with big administrative costs and well paid directors usually go to the back of the chow line.

At the same time, I'd be less than honest if I said that I'd be donating to groups who think sponsoring shooters (no matter what they are shooting) is an effective way to spend the donations.

I sincerely hope that wasn't a slap at the Green Beret Foundation. They do much more than sponsor shooters. Much more.

The Green Beret Foundation does not "sponsor" me in the way one normally thinks of sponsorship. While I am "sponsored" by the Green Beret Foundation, all that means is that the GBF has given me permission to say that I represent their organization. I receive no money or support of any kind from the GBF. I donate a minimum of 10% of all money I win to the GBF...which, thankfully, is beginning to add up. In effect, I am a sponsor of the GBF. But, for legal purposes, when my horse (Super Six Two...google it) and I enter the arena, the announcer can plug the GBF because they have a letter on file from the GBF stating that they are an official sponsor of mine. The GBF does not, to my knowledge, pay any professional athlete to promote their cause.

Here is the latest update, seems the Wounded Warrior Project is stepping up to clarify their stance....

Let's hope it turns out well for everyone!

Veteran Groups and More - This Week on Gun Talk Radio

Mandeville, LA – It’s clarification from the Wounded Warrior Project, a firearms engraver, the founder of MarineParents.com, and more, this week on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk® Radio, the original nationally-syndicated radio talk show about guns and the shooting sports.

The CEO of the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP), Steven Nardizzi, will be a guest on this Sunday's show. This follows a week where show host Tom Gresham shared his email exchange with the PR director of WWP in which she indicated that the organization does not do interviews with media or appear at events which are related to guns. This set off a firestorm of reaction by hunters and shooters, many of whom have donated to help wounded veterans as well as putting on fundraising hunts and shoots for the WWP.

"I'm really glad that the Wounded Warrior Project is coming on the show to clarify their position on this," said Gresham. "It has been really confusing to see them taking donations from firearms manufacturers as well as hunting groups, and then to be told that they won't appear in public with us. The latest communication from WWP is that this is all a big mistake and that they want to clear it up with me this Sunday. "

JJJ-D

:ph34r:/> :ph34r:/>

I know this man. You have inadvertently misjudged him.

I stated my concern about his statement. I do not pass judgement. If you knew me, you would know that.

WWP does great work and the mission is completely different from other veteran orgs. I take it as a good sign that so many care enough to do SOMETHING. Because frankly most of America (now 99%) has absolutely no association with anyone or anything in our military today.

Thank you all who donate to any veteran's and military family organization.

In my mind, I have NO problem differentiating between an "antigun" stance, and the WWP's "apolitical/neutral" stance. To me personally, they are NOT the same thing. Though there are those who would argue that if you are not "progun" then you must automatically be "antigun".

I feel as Brother King does, that the WWP provides services in areas that most other organizations do not address. Because of that reason I will continue my support for them and a few other Veterans organizations I feel comfortable with.

We need to keep in mind, that in dropping your support for the WWP, it is not the board of directors who will suffer, it is the soldiers and their families. 61.6% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Thank you to all who contribute - be it WWP, Green Beret Foundation, American Snipers, Vettes for Vets, Red Cross, et al.

Professor Tull

that's good, but in a way this is a good thing that happened, as other good charities will also be included in my contributions - it certainly has opened my eyes to the other good works others are doing besides WWP.

But yes, for five years I have been proud to help out WWP and still will give what I can to them, but also to other good charities and programs. I am no JP Morgan though :lol:/>/>/>/>

GG~:FlagAm:/>/>/>

Just to let ya know, I found this a big surprise as well. I certainly hope it is resolved quickly and all our satisfactions..... I know other large charities that work with WWP are now watching this as well, including FNRA.

JJJ-D

:ph34r:/> :ph34r:/>

I sincerely hope that wasn't a slap at the Green Beret Foundation. They do much more than sponsor shooters. Much more.

This wasn't meant to be a dig or slap at anyone. But, your admonition prompted me to do a little research at GUIDESTAR.ORG and CHARITYNAVIGATOR.ORG about Green Beret Foundation. Neither of them have any information at all about the org's funding or % to project (how much actually goes to complete their mission). I find that a bit curious.

On further searches I did find this list of both A+ rated and F rated Vets/military charitable foundations. As a military brat I was pleased to see that the National Military Family Association to which my own foundation Carry the Flame contributed 100% of our proceeds is an A rated charity. You can see some of the results here: MILITARY CHARITIES

That's a pretty inflammatory email exchange for sure. But, worse is your assertion that the CEO's salary is "money being stolen from needful veterans". That's just BULLSH** and you should watch what you accuse someone of especially in a public forum.

The WWP has a board of directors. There is no organization that has done as much FOR wounded military personnel as has the WWP, plain and simple. They raise multi-millions of dollars and run an international organization. Do you imagine that can be done without paying someone and a staff of people to actually do that kind of work?

The Salvation Army seems to manage quite well. I'll keep on give them my money.

I hear this kind of crap all the time when it comes to charitable orgs. What it amounts to is asking top talent to work for nothing. All that will get you is a lousy organization that does darn little good. Running any org the size of WWP requires full-time effort from dedicated, talented management. Support them or not, but accusing them of theft may be actionable at worse and is certainly irresponsible bashing at best.

Jittery Jim - thanx for posting the update.

Nardizzi has some serious explaining to do, although the damage has already been done.

There is no plausible denial in this case, and the only reason he's appearing at all is because he sees all those dollar signs running away.

But you DO pass gas. :o/>/> :lol:/>/>

It's dang healthy to do so sez I.

A doctor told me.

I think it was Doctor Drew.

Or Doctor Who.

It's gratifying to see so many care so much about charitable giving. Let's not be too critical and get trapped into the idea that no good or little good is being done for those who need it so much.

Yes, there are many good charities, maybe sometimes too many or so many that we can't choose. The Salvation Army does great work and gets a large % of their funds to project. But, let's face it, they don't do what Wounded Warrior or National Military Family Assoc. or so many other veterans/ military family charities do for our veterans, wounded, and military families.

What scares me most is that now that Iraq and Afghanistan are being drawn down (or planned to be) that America will forget. You only have to visit Walter Reed or any VA MED facility anywhere to know that these soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen wrote a check with their lives...whether they died or not from their wounds.

It's important to understand that not all wounds are visible and there never has been a soldier return that wasn't wounded in some way.

I'd ask that we please take a deep breath, understand that mistakes can be made, but let's not abandon real help for those that truly, truly need help in a way that most people and most families will never understand or be asked to endure.

In fact, go ahead and give that Christmas present you were going to get me to any military/ veteran/ military based charity this year. Let's all be thankful and proud of the men and women that are on our side. Now is the time for us not to forget what a gift they have given us.

It's gratifying to see so many care so much about charitable giving. Let's not be too critical and get trapped into the idea that no good or little good is being done for those who need it so much.

Yes, there are many good charities, maybe sometimes too many or so many that we can't choose. The Salvation Army does great work and gets a large % of their funds to project. But, let's face it, they don't do what Wounded Warrior or National Military Family Assoc. or so many other veterans/ military family charities do for our veterans, wounded, and military families.

What scares me most is that now that Iraq and Afghanistan are being drawn down (or planned to be) that America will forget. You only have to visit Walter Reed or any VA MED facility anywhere to know that these soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen wrote a check with their lives...whether they died or not from their wounds.

It's important to understand that not all wounds are visible and there never has been a soldier return that wasn't wounded in some way.

I'd ask that we please take a deep breath, understand that mistakes can be made, but let's not abandon real help for those that truly, truly need help in a way that most people and most families will never understand or be asked to endure.

In fact, go ahead and give that Christmas present you were going to get me to any military/ veteran/ military based charity this year. Let's all be thankful and proud of the men and women that are on our side. Now is the time for us not to forget what a gift they have given us.

+1

And some folks in Texas need our thoughts tonight. :(

http://news.msn.com/us/train-crashes-into-trailer-carrying-veterans

+1

And some folks in Texas need our thoughts tonight. :(

http://news.msn.com/us/train-crashes-into-trailer-carrying-veterans

If the group High Ground Hunters has already been mentioned, I apologize as I don't have enough time to read the enire thread. They work with wounded veterans in taking them on hunting trips etc. Please check out their website. I'm sure it's something that many of you might find a worthy cause. One of the young men involved is a personal friend and wounded warrior that had a life changing experience in getting involved in this group.

The WWP is like a lot of charities that began with lofty goals but somehow....other things got in the way.

A lot of charities asking for a very limited amount of (my) available money makes me research any organization that I contemplate making a donation to. Organizations with big administrative costs and well paid directors usually go to the back of the chow line.

Sounds like some churches out there :wacko:/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Well, yes and no. What they said was they welcome a 'wounded warrior' to appear on the show and talk about their experience.... they will not have a foundation representative appear on the show or talk about their policy....

Looks like they are trying to 'spin' this to save donations and not reversing their stance,

AND as of today the policy is STILL on their website here:

Wounded Warrior

Here is the update on 'GunTalk'. It sure took a lot of pressure from the public as well as media organizations to get an answer....

Examiner/ gun talk posting

Looks to me like they are standing by their policy as unchanged, but still want our money....

JJJ-D

:ph34r:/>/>/> :ph34r:/>/>/>

Kind of like Carrie Nation asking for support from vineyards, breweries, and distilleries.

I stated my concern about his statement. I do not pass judgement. If you knew me, you would know that.

In my reading "hindsight", and from my post, you are correct and I am the one that appears to be judgmental. My poor communication skills and choice of words are to blame.

In all fairness, I do not consider anybody here to be judgmental. Instead of "misjudged", I meant to indicate "misinterpreted" or "misunderstood". However, a more appropriate action on my part would have been to refrain from making any remarks at all. Sometimes, if we all step back and think before we post, a more harmonious outcome will ensue.

In my reading "hindsight", and from my post, you are correct and I am the one that appears to be judgmental. My poor communication skills and choice of words are to blame.

In all fairness, I do not consider anybody here to be judgmental. Instead of "misjudged", I meant to indicate "misinterpreted" or "misunderstood". However, a more appropriate action on my part would have been to refrain from making any remarks at all. Sometimes, if we all step back and think before we post, a more harmonious outcome will ensue.

Well and humbly stated!

Good for you, GGG!

That's the cowboy spirit and a proper man's response.

Gun Talk Radio w/WWP spokesman

click on directdownload: 121118guntalkA.mp3

Above is the Tom Gresham interview of WWP's Steve Nardizzi from earlier today.

I have listened to it twice, and will probably do so again.

It appears that the main core of the WWP policy concerning firearms/weapons, is that they will accept donations from the weapons community, but feel no obligation to allow the use of their logo in return for said donations.

This IMHO does not make them "antigun", and as a result they will continue to receive my support, though I firmly believe the WWP leadership and the WWP policies could use an overhaul or restructuring to make them more compatible with gunowners.

I believe the WWP would be able to do this without their allowing the use of their logo in return for a contribution. It might be as simple as acknowledging on their website that a firearms manufacturer has made a major contribution, and then allowing said manufacturer to use the acknowledgement in its advertising. WWP [the Vets] would get the needed funds, the contributor would get the public recognition of having contributed to the veterans thru WWP.

Professor Tull

I define anti-gun as a group or individual actively seeking to take away our rights and our guns.

Using that definition WWP is not anti-gun. I am inclined to think that while they greatly appreciate donations from those of us who own guns, they are reluctant to be seen as too closely associated with gun owners for fear of boycotts from those out there that are anti-gun, a source of revenue that may very well exceed what those of us who are pro-gun donate. It seems likely that they are trying so hard to offend no one, that they have managed to offend some of us anyway.

The WWP, like the NRA, is a flawed organization, but also like the NRA, the WWP is, to the best of my knowledge, the largest and most effective organization out there.

Chantry, according to your definition President Obama is not anti-gun?

isn't that odd!

Instead of implying things have the courage to come right out and accuse me.

I'm inclined to think ANY politician who comes up through Chicago political machine is anti-gun. I also happen to think the President is intelligent enough, at least during his first term, to not, publically at least, go near the issue. Given the current make up of the House of Representives, I don't expect any serious efforts until at least 2014 and that presumes a significant change in control of the House.

Since I just put on a Cops, Cowboys, & Soldiers charity match this past week I am going to chime in here.

We chose the WWP because it benefits heros and I was very suprised to find out just how difficult it was to deal with the WWP when we were doing the shoot to raise money for them. Now seeing this thread I am finding out why. I had a friend who did a bake sale and silent auction and did not have any of the problems we had with the dealings with the WWP.

They were allowed to use the WWP logo and we were strickly forbidden from using any of the logos or specific wording except "procedes benefitting the WWP".

After reading all of this, dealing with the WWP for the past 6 + months I am firmly in belief that that are NOT neutral in the Anti/Pro gun issue. By doing what they are in regards to "gun related" issues they, IMO, are showing support for the gun control party and shying away from the honest gun owners in theis country who are the same person(s) who donate the most to the organization. I think the latest Facebook posting is just some political backpeddeling from the backlash from some of their major supporters, but it doesn't change their deep down stance and feelings.

I think I will start doing some further research for more supportive charities for my next C,C,& S match like maybe some of those mentioned here in this thread, Carry the Flame or the Green Beret Foundation.

This issue really upsets me.

JEL

Instead of implying things have the courage to come right out and accuse me.

I'm inclined to think ANY politician who comes up through Chicago political machine is anti-gun. I also happen to think the President is intelligent enough, at least during his first term, to not, publically at least, go near the issue. Given the current make up of the House of Representives, I don't expect any serious efforts until at least 2014 and that presumes a significant change in control of the House.

you asked for it... here it is.

If you noticed my hypothesis was phrased as a question.

A question is a solicitation for a response not an accusation.

However, I disagree with your way of assigning the anti-gun status.

But you left your definition open enough and weak enough that my hypothesis is possible.

To me anti-gun means, thoughts and plans, actions past and present.

I was pretty saddened to hear how little money they actually use for the troops. Then came the anti gun part. Well to me I see them as anti gun people who saw there cash cow going away so they had to come up with some bs to try to save face. I won't be sending money their way. Plus I'll caution others against it. The green beret will get mine from now on

Archived