SASS Wire Forum

One heluva ride

Adirondack Jack, SASS #53440

Ya know what makes a good roller coaster or other carnival ride? It LOOKS scary as heck, and ya think "this might could be bad", yet ya get on and give it a whirl, with FAITH in the unseen men who designed and built it, knowing that even though it looks like it could be deadly, it is gonna be all right. You strap in and commit to taking the ride.

When I played with the cartridge that would become known as the Cowboy .45 Special, with no more a commitment than a few pieces of cut down brass, I thought, "this could be something IF the CAS shooting crowd embraces it."

So I took money I was saving to buy the wife a new car and parked a pile of brass in the garage instead. I launched a website and began the long, arduous process of TEACHING the CAS world why this was a good idea. I didn't know the economy was fixin to take the worst dive since my grandpa was a young man, nor that SASS was about to undergo the throes of the controversy that ended in the "firearms mods covenant" that winter. I couldn't SEE all the curves and hills of the roller coaster ahead, but I knew deep in my heart two things, CAS shooters are among the finest men and women alive, a fair and thinking audience, and no matter what lie ahead, I was an AMERICAN inventor and entrepreneur, and as such, I could handle the jumps, drops and curves as they came at me.

I was born into Dwight Eisenhower's america, and the first president I remember was JFK. I can "do" his "We will put a man on the moon by the end of this decade" in good Boston "english"??? and having seen it happen, there is no doubt in my mind, no fear in my heart that AMERICANS adapt, innovate, and survive. The impossible is what we do.

So the adventure that came to include three new products designed and introduced my me seem only natural in MY AMERICA. The lumps and bumps, curves and thrills that came with it, the smiles on shooters faces and glowing emails made it all worthwhile.

Over 6 1/2 years the ride was great, and the cartridge and carriers did well. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I got cancer and was wiped out financially, and decided to divorce. I needed the money, so I sold inventory and didn't replace it.

I put the website and rights to the cartridge up for sale.

I could never have imagined that I'd have a deal pending, all but done last weekend "about 99%" were the buyer's words, only to have the future of the Cowboy .45 Special beyond my personal involvement dashed by an election, where the fear of what might lie ahead for guns and shooting caused the buyer to back out when the current potus was retained. I got a call with an "I'm sorry" instead of a check.

I don't LIVE in that America. I live in the America that CAN do, an America where we laugh at the impossible. We went to the GD moon for crissakes....

In any event, it has been a heluva ride. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

In the off chance a strong believer in American exceptionalism, in the good nature of the citizens of the republic comes forward, then C45S will continue at cowboy45special.com

Meanwhile it has a front page explaining the current situation and thanking my loyal customers.

A.J.,

I feel your pain as I am currently dealing with a painful injury (which has effectively ended me shooting for now), no job and will be losing my house in the few months to the bank.

But you know what? As we look forward into the future as the economy continues to slide into a depression we are actually going to be in a better position to deal with whatever comes down the pike.

Sometimes you have to take two steps back to take three steps forward.

Oh...growing old ain't for sissies!!!

A.J.,

I feel your pain as I am currently battling a serious illness (which has effectively ended me shooting for now), no job and will be losing my house in the few months to the bank.

But you know what? As we look forward into the future as the economy continues to slide into a depression we are actually going to be in a better position to deal with whatever comes down the pike.

Something you have to take two steps back to take three steps forward.

Oh...growing old ain't for sissies!!!

SS ole pard, no it ain't. But as I grow "old"er??? I find myself drawn to the music of man in his thirties, who is battling the entrance into middle age. His name is Frank Turner. He is, by his description, "a skinny half (fast) English country singer".

A favorite part from his "Photosynthesis" song is this:

"Oh maturity's a wrapped up package deal so it seems

And ditching teenage fantasy means ditching all your dreams

All your friends and peers and family solomnly tell you you will

Have to grow up be an adult yeah be bored and unfulfilled

Oh when no ones yet explained to me exactly what's so great

About slaving 50 years away on something that you hate

Look I'm meekly shuffling down the path of mediocrity

Well if that's your road then take it but it's not the road for me"

Followed by the song's refrain:

"And I won't sit down

And I won't shut up

And most of all I will not grow up

And I won't sit down

And I won't shut up

And most of all I yeah I won't grow up

And I won't sit down

And I won't shut up

And most of all I will not grow up"

I didn't "sit down" or "shut up" when I launched my last venture, and won't with whatever lies ahead.

I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

We are all inique in our experieences, good and bad. I can relate. I owe my wife my life for sticking with me.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave

with the intention of arriving safely

in an attractive and well preserved body,

But rather to skid in sideways,

chocolate in one hand,

wine in the other,

body thoroughly used up,

totally worn out and screaming

"WOO HOO what a ride!"

AJ,

Life can and is a hard mistress. I know we went through a lot of our savings for CAS. We really enjoyed everyone, but the sales as always slow down when the markets fall, it happened to a lot of us. The one thing my friend that you can't be is, alone. You must have some one, it makes life much better, much more comfortable. If Katy didn't keep me grounded, I don't know whst actions I might take.

AJ,

Life can and is a hard mistress. I know we went through a lot of our savings for CAS. We really enjoyed everyone, but the sales as always slow down when the markets fall, it happened to a lot of us. The one thing my friend that you can't be is, alone. You must have some one, it makes life much better, much more comfortable. If Katy didn't keep me grounded, I don't know whst actions I might take.

Thanks for the kind words, Pard.

Alone ain't so bad, if yer the only one in the room....

I for one hope that a buyer can be found or realizes what a great opportunity it would be to take over your enterprise.

The Cowboy 45 Special is a cartridge that is to good to die.

A lot of pards have cut down colt brass to shorter lengths to some avail but having done it it's a PITA.

You on the other hand proved the idea to your satisfaction,had them made to the proper interior dimensions from a quality manufacture. Then went ahead and did something all of the rest of us didn't do.

You put your money where your mouth was and gave us all a fine cartridge to shoot the game with.

Thank You Jack for doing all that you have done for our game!

As my greatest hope is that some one can take over your enterprise because Dammit the Cowboy 45 Special is a cartridge that's to good to Disappear. Adios Sgt. Jake

Archived