SASS Wire Forum

Car Hit By Airplane

Subdeacon Joe

From 2000 to 2002, I was a test driver for the National Center for Asphalt Technologies track outside Opelika, AL. We drove the trucks used in a wear study (putting 20 years of wear on the surfaces in 2 years). The local airport is only a few miles away from the track and while I was on night shift, I had a small plane almost land on one of the straightaways of the track on top of me. It was close enough that when I looked up through the windshield, I could see the glow from the exhaust.

I can't imagine what would have happened if that little single engine plane had gotten down onto the track since the rigs we used on the track were pulling a set of triples loaded with steel plates, weighed around 80 tons (the trucks varied in a weight a little from 156,000 pounds to 161,000 pounds with a full fuel load- mine was in the middle at 158,000) and I was doing 45mph. Needless to say, stopping is a time consuming affair (we did a panic braking test and it took over 1200 feet to stop from 45) and stepping on the brakes was more of a suggestion. Add to that the fact that the straightaway was basically a 2 lane road that's less than 3/4 of a mile long, on a raised causeway between what used to be 2 hills with step drop offs on both sides and the curve they were headed for had been blasted out of a hill side.

What don't folks understand about the fact that, AIRCRAFT HAVE RIGHT OF WAY.

I don't think that driver ever stopped to check for air traffic........

LG

On taxiways, runways, and surfaces authorized for aircraft use, yes, but that's it. Check out this video and satellite image of the airport. Note near the end of the video it's stated the airport doesn't own the road, so it has no authority to control traffic. The "stop" painted on the road can only be a recommendation. Zoom in on the satellite image and you'll see there's a displaced threshold. In this case, the aircraft is supposed to touch down beyond the white line where the numbers 17 appear. This pilot was way low and below the glide slope for a proper touchdown. While airborne, it's the pilot's responsibility to remain clear of obstructions. This guy was so low he barely cleared the fence and it's doubtful the car would have been visible from the cockpit.

Video

Satellite image

I also don't think the pilot could even see the car. But the car should have seen the AC.

Listen to the audio.....She was asked why she did not stop......

Have'n spent part of my early life as a 'ramp-rat' at LAX. I know of close calls via truck vs AC.

LG

I also don't think the pilot could even see the car. But the car should have seen the AC.

Listen to the audio.....She was asked why she did not stop......

Have'n spent part of my early life as a 'ramp-rat' at LAX. I know of close calls via truck vs AC.

LG

We don't know who asked the question, so it's really pretty meaningless.

I've flown in and out of small airports for 15 years. Sure would have been better for the car driver to stop look and listen, but ultimately, he wasn't required to do so. I'm betting when the investigation is done, it's going to come down on the student pilot.

Gonna involve insurance companies, lots of lawyers and gobs of money to determine fault and redress. Sure glad injuries were minor and hope no one sues for more than actual damages.

Off the plane, or the deer?

LL

I've had coyote and deer run in front of me on a couple of occasions late at night at small airports where there was minimal runway lighting. Fortunately they weren't that close. As a precaution before takeoff, I'd taxi up and down the runway in each direction to let 'em know I was there. Better to hit one taxiing than at speed. I'd also "drag the runway" (a low altitude pass) before landing, hoping see who might be there.

I hate it when that happens!

It don't do none two good fer yur pants, neither !

Saw the film of the accident when it happened. Dang lucky for those on board of the plane, was quite a hit. Also showed the painted "STOP" sign. Too bad there was not a posted stop sign also for vehicles. I think the title of this thread should have been, "Airplane hit by Car". Guy just drove right into the plane and I don't think the piolt had a chance to react. One of the problems having a road on tarmack crossing the runway. The vehicle never stopped at the marked stop.

SUV into Plane

Finally something I can actually comment on and know what I am talking about.

I work for the FAA in Flight Inspection. We are the guys that certify airports and NavAids.

A bunch of us have looked at this film and it is obvious to us all and we unanimously agree.

Unfortunately we can not share that with you as we are not authorized spokes persons.

I will ask you to consider what is historically the number one reason found for aircraft accidents.

Finally something I can actually comment on and know what I am talking about.

I work for the FAA in Flight Inspection. We are the guys that certify airports and NavAids.

A bunch of us have looked at this film and it is obvious to us all and we unanimously agree.

Unfortunately we can not share that with you as we are not authorized spokes persons.

I will ask you to consider what is historically the number one reason found for aircraft accidents.

So this was pilot error??....I did read that this was a student pilot. Also looked like he was going to undershoot the runway.

Archived