SASS Wire Forum

Ruger vs. Tauras

Widder, SASS #59054

This ain't zackly Cowboy but this ole Cowboy needs some info/help.

I'm thinkin of buying either a Ruger SP101 in .22, 4" brl, stainless.....one of their newest models.

BUT, I like the looks and feel of the Tauras Tracker in .22 just as well but can't find much about it except the price is considerably less for the stainless.

I think both models are 9 shot.

EDIT: Ruger is 8 shot. Tauras is 9 shot.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not interested the duel cylinder Tauras because I don't shoot magnums and I don't want to pay more for it.

Anyone have any 1st hand experience with either?

Does anyone know of a good site for me to visit that might have reviews?

Thanks Pards

..........Widder

I am a die hard Ruger man.

The Ruger sps101 is a heavy .22 .

I have two Pards with the Taurus SS 9 shot Tracker ,They have thousands of rounds threw the guns and are very happy with them .

I have shot them and they are a accurate and a good dependable gun.

I shoot my Ruger single six just as well or better .

I did buy a Uberti Cattlemen 10 shot .22.

I am very happy with it and its a tack driver.

The Ruger single Ten with the big ugly sights just did not do it for me.

Good luck .

Widder I have had a SP 101 in .22 for years. It is my favorite .22 plinker. It was the first revolver my wife and kids shot. It's a regular SP 101 with smaller holes, so it is heavy. I was under the impression that they had quit making these in .22. My revolver is a 6 shot; do the new ones hold more rounds?

Guest Rio Grande Slim

Hey Widowmaker,

Whild I don't have a ruger double action revolver, I do have several of their single actions in 22.

both old 3 screw and new modles. All shoot very well. I also have two revolvers one rossi and one of the Tauras Trackers in 22/22 mag. Perosnally if your choosing to go with the less expensive go for the taurs. it is a much smoother action than the rossi, however with all the rounds I've fired through my rossi, it is as smooth as silk. It will take a little time for it to get that way unless you smooth it up your self. the Tauras was smooth from the box. I'm like you and want to pick up a sp101 in 22 as well. One note about the tracker. It's HEAVY even in the 22lr version. The full under barrel lug and that big old cylinger (the whole idea behind the tracker is to handle heavy loads) make it very heavy. If you are going to plink with it, choose the 4" barrel if hunting, choose the 6" barrel. Also, even though you won't use 22mag's, consider getting the convertable. It's only about $25-$30 more and you do have that option. I love mine as it's accurate with some of the strangest ammo out there. Ex. in 22lr Aguilar's 22SSS is great groups well out to 25yards and hits like a light 38 This is a 60gr. bullet. This round will cost you about $4.70 to $4.90 a box depending if you buy a brice of 500 or not. For the 22Mag cylinder use Feveral's Game-Shok at $8.99 a box it's in the lower average price for 22mag loads. This round is supper accurate in just about any 22Mag gun you can immigan it has a weight of 50gr and a great stopper too.

Hope that this helps

Alot of VERY GOOD information my friends. Thanks

I also like the technical info about weight, optional .22 mag info, etc.....

I already own a couple Ruger Single Sixes. My shootin Pard owns one of the newer 9 shot SP-101s's and it IS a dandy. EDITED: ooops, it really an 8 shot.

Its just I also like the Tauras Tracker in the 9 shot configuration, 4" barrel, Stainless that feels good to me. Yes, the action is nice.

The big deal is,( although all my guns are sponsored by Korupt Karl... :lol: :lol: :lol: ), is that this Tauras is nearly $2 BIG ONES cheaper. If I can save on top quality, I'll probably still go with the Tauras. But, I still like that RUGER name and quality and my friends new SP101 is a superb little pistol.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting. It is helping me decide what I might do.

p.s. - What would Ben Cartwright do?

..........Widder

Doubt you'd have the problems with a .22 that this fella did with his .38/.357, but as a testament of quality it bears looking at:

Taurus Barrel Launch

:blink:

The new SP101 is an 8 shot Widder not a 9 shot. I don't know why Ruger went with 8 when there is plenty of room for 9. 9 shot speedloaders from HKS are available, don't know about 8 rounders. Only one barrel length: 4". And those damnable fiber optic sights. I despise fiber optic sights.

I would go with the 6" 9 shot Tracker and I would get that new one with the trick button on the side that changes out cylinders between lr and mag just pronto. Pretty neat. You may think you don't want or need the 22 mag cylinder but why not. Hornady makes a new 22 Mag round that makes a 6" Tracker a viable self-defense round.

Just my take. Ruger lost me by going with 8 rounds and fiber optic sights.

If you can make do with 6 shots, the Charter Pathfinder is cheap and made in USA.

I have several Ruger 22's (single six's and Bearcats) and I have a Taurus M94 (9 shot .22LR, stainless steel 4", about the size of a S&W J frame). If I had to keep just one, it would be the Taurus. It shoots great, low maintenence, good sights. Just my $.02.

More thanks

Lonesome Canine: thanks for the info on the Ruger being just an 8 shot. You Sir, are correct. I added an EDIT to my other post to correct my misrepresentation of the SP101.

..........Widder

Archived