SASS Wire Forum

Gold Panning with Boy Scouts

Curley Cole, SASS #56849

real gold

I took Prof. Bullspits boy scouts up to Lytle Creek to show them how to pan for gold. one young fella came up and showed me the palm of his glove, and it had picked up a nice gold nugget. About 1.5gm (I think I was so shook up by his beginners luck is why I blured the pix...

may have him loan me his gloves....

curley

I am pretty sure the nugget was about 1.5gm at about $1750 per oz that amount would be worth abuut $60-70, but nuggets often have a couple of variables. first how pure is it? It looked pretty pure (no quartz or anything in it...) and the impurties would drop the value, but then again, nuggets that size and larger also come with a jewelry or collectable value. I have smaller nuggets set in my wedding band, so a jeweler would pay good money for that purpose.

then larger nuggets then come with a collector value, often times maybe 2-3x the gold value.

I know that is the long way around the barn, but I know a couple of places that would pay $50-60 right now for that piece...

I didn't say how the kid found the nugget. he was scooping dirt out of the stream and putting it in the gold pan, and the nugget stuck to the velcro in the palm of his glove much like the "miners moss" in a sluice box.

I am looking for a pair of them gloves right now...\

curley

PS: sorry Pulp, gold is in troy ounces. there are 31.1gm per oz and that would put it at about $75. Troy ounces equal: 24 grains= 1 pennyweight or 1.55 grams, 20 pennyweight = 1 ounce or 31.1 grams. 12 ounces = 1 pound

cc

Archived