SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Stock Repair

el Gato Gordo - SASS #15162

After shooting black powder loads in this for a couple of years with no adverse effects, I had an aberration and shot some AA featherlites through my Stoeger SxS. Naturally, it only took a couple of shots before the corner chipped off the stock. But I found the piece and glued it up ~ but that didn't last. So, once again I found the piece, glued it up, and REPAIRED it so it can't happen again (on that side!).

Second attempt at posting:shotgun stock repair.

Buena suerte,

eGG

After shooting black powder loads in this for a couple of years with no adverse effects, I had an aberration and shot some AA featherlites through my Stoeger SxS. Naturally, it only took a couple of shots before the corner chipped off the stock. But I found the piece and glued it up ~ but that didn't last. So, once again I found the piece, glued it up, and REPAIRED it so it can't happen again (on that side!).

Shotgun stock repair.

Buena suerte,

eGG

It happen again X 2 so might happen again. Rear tang should be glass bedded where thru bolt goes thru as well as front of stock, this will probably give you a chance. GN

Your link doesn't work for me.

Marshal Stone

+1

Just call Stoeger about it. My stoeger stock chipped several times. It got to the point where I could watch the hammers function inside the stock. Then when the forehand fell apart in my hand I called Stoeger to see if I could buy new wood for it. They asked me to return it to them and they decided that the chambers were also loose so they sent me a brand new shotgun, even though I had disabled the automatic safety voiding the warrenty. Only down side was that I had to do a whole new action job on it. I was impressed with their customer service.

Thanks for all the advice, compadres. All good suggestions, but I wasn't complaining or asking for solutions ;) . I was just showing off a piece of woodworking that I had never tried before and it came out pretty good. The dog-bone key fixed the problem. Of course I relieved the action/stock interface before doing even the first repair, and a little more for the second. Then I glued it, and inlet the dog-bone. After letting the glue cure for a couple of days, I tried a half dozen rounds of #4 buck with no signs of stress on the repair (or other side, luckily).

My normal loads of FFg don't have anywhere near the shocking recoil of the buckshot ~ or even of Featherlites, for that matter!

Stoeger service may be great, but they need to have someone who knows wood select for their stocks. The angle of the grain on this is just asking for trouble, and this is a common Stoeger failure. As Mom used to say, "if you DO it right, then you never have to MAKE it right."

Buena suerte, amigos, y muchas gracias!

eGG

Second attempt at posting:shotgun stock repair.

Buena suerte,

eGG

This is a normal occurrence and is easily prevented. If one sands a clearance gap where receiver metal touches the wood there will be no breakage. This is a fairly easy fix and seems to work.

This is a normal occurrence and is easily prevented. If one sands a clearance gap where receiver metal touches the wood there will be no breakage. This is a fairly easy fix and seems to work.

Agreed that the breakage is to be expected with Stoegers; disagree that it should be considered "normal." And yes, I sanded that surface when I first got the gun. I sanded it again after the first break. And I sanded it yet again after this final fix.

I do think that this type of break on Stoegers is due not only to poor fitting at the factory (about which I think we all can agree), but also due to the factory's habitually irresponsible misalignment of the wood's grain with the forces encountered. I have encountered no other shotgun make (in my limited experience) that actually has a reputation for this kind of problem.

But with that hickory key tying the break together, there will be no more problems on that side. The other side has been relieved even more, I hope sufficiently to prevent the other side from chipping out, also.

Now, after all those negative comments that I've written ~ I still like the way it handles, and I am not in the market for a BSS or SKB or whatever to slam down on a table!:D

Buena suerte, amigo!

eGG

Archived