SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger SxS Shotgun Blues

Come On Christmas

I bought this gun used with two chips out of the wood at the receiver which I have repaired. I test fired it before going to a match and 10 shells or so everythang was jest fine.

Then she went to light primer strikes on the right cylinder. I had another shotgun with me so no big deal. My shells worked fine in it.

I went to the match and there was a pard there with a double trigger and his was a doing the same thing.

My 12 gauge is a single trigger. My Black Powder shells are conservative by some folks standards, but not wimpy.

Is there a usual cause for this?

Shameless

1) dirty

2) weak hammer spring

3) internal burrs in action

4) mushroomed firing pins due to the soft steel in Stoeger FPs - see LongHunter's site for some stainless pins of much better steel.

5) using really deep set primer cups. I've recently had some batches of Federal 209As that have a very deeply set primer inside the steel battery cup (outer shell of the primer). An SKB 100 would not fire the primers. Replaced with a batch of Win 209s with VERY flat primer cups, and problem disappeared.

Good luck, GJ

best bet...mushroomed firing pins.I had to DRIVE mine out they were so flattend,and I don't shoot thousands of rounds a year,nowhere near it.

Had the same problem, Long Hunter's pins are better and slightly longer than stock. No problems since, but I also took the correct size drill and worked it by hand in the holes to clean up the burrs...

ODD...i just this weekend had issues with W209 primers...the primer is set LOW in the cup, first time EVER having a missfire with my trusty stoger..at the match, looked over shells, tossed a few, and no issues after that..

the primer itself was low in the cup...now im "leary" of the trusty w209's...

anyone else have this issue?

First off.. I ain't a gunsmith :wacko:

Lots of times when this happens.. someone has weakened (shortened) the lever locking spring..

When this is done it makes the lever easier to push to break the barrels open..

If too weak.. the barrels will pop open (not real noticable) just a little.. then usually the second barrel won't fire..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' it's just somethin' ya might check :blush:

I have encountered the same issue with my Stoeger Coach SxS, and discovered that the firing pin bushing was loose. Tightened it up, and fixed my problem. This TOOL is handy to have, but a split ring pliers will also do the job in a pinch.

I have encountered the same issue with my Stoeger Coach SxS, and discovered that the firing pin bushing was loose. Tightened it up, and fixed my problem. This TOOL is handy to have, but a split ring pliers will also do the job in a pinch.

I have one similar to this from Longhunter. I use it to check the bushing after every shoot and have had no problems. This tool from Longhunter has a flat handle compared to the screwdriver type from Midway.

I have one similar to this from Longhunter. I use it to check the bushing after every shoot and have had no problems. This tool from Longhunter has a flat handle compared to the screwdriver type from Midway.

I ordered the tool and stainless firing pin from Longhunter.

Thanks,

Shameless

I ordered the tool and stainless firing pin from Longhunter.

Thanks,

Shameless

Keep'ing the firing pins clean and oiled is a good thing. Getting Stainless pins from Long Hunter is a good thing. Making sure the round plate(s) which cover the firing pins are tight is a good thing. Since your gun is used, it's also possible that your hammer springs are ragged out. Might replace them. Other than that, if you're reloading shotshells, make sure some of the primers aren't too low.

If you keep having troubles, switch to a '97. Nothing ever goes wrong with them.wacko.gif

-Pico Pistolero

www.picopistolero.com

ODD...i just this weekend had issues with W209 primers...the primer is set LOW in the cup, first time EVER having a missfire with my trusty stoger..at the match, looked over shells, tossed a few, and no issues after that..

Same thing here on Win 209. Now check primers in the tray before loading. Nota John

Same thing here on Win 209. Now check primers in the tray before loading. Nota John

Archived