SASS Wire Forum

tracking guns that are stolen, lost, or whatever

As a 'law-abiding' gun owner I thought all of us have to do this in the case our firearms were lost, stolen, etc... - I know I would.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-police-superintendent-wants-tighter-gun-tracking-20121024,0,2036563.story

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The first time I got guns stolen the police never got around to typing an distributing the report. In the meantime I asked my neighbors about a total of ten questions and recovered the guns and some other item myself...even some items I hadn't realized were gone...seven days later. When I told the police I'd found them myself I found about the report not being typed and was told that my actions were "dangerous and foolish".

The second time I was burgled and lost 13 handguns and a rifle the cops didn't even take a report for three days, then sent an unsworn woman who barely spoke English and screwed the report up entirely. Didn't seem anyone was overly concerned about guns being stolen and on the street.

Four years later they sent a letter asking if I had recovered any of the items. I send it back with : "Hell no! Did you?" I never heard from them again.

Now every department in the country wants laws passed requiring reports on stolen guns and making it a crime not to file such a report. Maybe their in boxes aren't full enough.

I agree with stolen, am apprehensive about "lost", and say HELL NO to sold/transferred.

As for a crime for not reporting a stolen gun, I don't like that either.

But how long does one have to report it stolen. Measured from date of stolen or date of realization that it is stolen.

Zackely........der on boxes aint full nuff !

I have a nice gun collection.........need tree safes an dat dpon't count da powder. I have da serial #'s on all of dim, wrote on paper, dim in cased wif plastic in safe # 1.

I doubt der be anybody foolish nuff to try to break in dis place. On da winder of da outer door dew is a NRA Life Membership sticker.......just below it a bumper sticker sayin.......Dis property protected by da good Lord an guns !

An din there's dis sign at da end of my driveway coming off the street........ "My dawg can reach dis point in 2.2 seconds.....can you ?"

Sides.......I sleep wif a 1911 under my piller an a 97 under da bed...........me an da wife have drills on what we're gonna say when we call da cops.

The first time I got guns stolen the police never got around to typing an distributing the report. In the meantime I asked my neighbors about a total of ten questions and recovered the guns and some other item myself...even some items I hadn't realized were gone...seven days later. When I told the police I'd found them myself I found about the report not being typed and was told that my actions were "dangerous and foolish".

The second time I was burgled and lost 13 handguns and a rifle the cops didn't even take a report for three days, then sent an unsworn woman who barely spoke English and screwed the report up entirely. Didn't seem anyone was overly concerned about guns being stolen and on the street.

Four years later they sent a letter asking if I had recovered any of the items. I send it back with : "Hell no! Did you?" I never heard from them again.

Now every department in the country wants laws passed requiring reports on stolen guns and making it a crime not to file such a report. Maybe their in boxes aren't full enough.

What he said!

It is one thing for a person to keep a list of the particulars to be able to give to the cops, pawn shops, etc. It is quite another thing to make an otherwise law abiding citizen, and who is the VICTIM of a crime, into a criminal for not reporting a crime against him in what some capon thinks is a timely manner.

Plus, it would not, as the good Police Superintendent (PS - good initials there ;) ) claims, "significantly limit the number of firearms in the city of Chicago." All it would do is cause headaches for the citizen whose gun was stolen years before when that gun turned up at a crime scene, or in possession of someone caught committing a crime. You can bet that the full force of the law would be unleashed not on the thug, but on the last known legal owner.

Well...I would report a gun if it was stolen just in case the perp used it in a crime. At least I would have a chance of not being pointed to as a suspect.

Well...I would report a gun if it was stolen just in case the perp used it in a crime. At least I would have a chance of not being pointed to as a suspect.

I don't think anyone is saying not to report it. I'm against making the victim of a crime a criminal if he fails to report it. Or doesn't do it soon enough to suit some burro-crat.

I don't think anyone is saying not to report it. I'm against making the victim of a crime a criminal if he fails to report it. Or doesn't do it soon enough to suit some burro-crat.

Understand that point....;) But if it's not reported and it's used in a crime by the perp who stole it....?

Of course, as with all gun laws....the good civilian gets the shaft whilel the bad civilian don't give a cr%$....

No more laws.

IF my guns are stolen, I will report it as soon as I realize they are gone. I have good records, serial numbers and photos. But if I sell them, to whom and when I sell them is no one's business but mine.

Buena suerte,

eGG

No more laws.

IF my guns are stolen, I will report it as soon as I realize they are gone. I have good records, serial numbers and photos. But if I sell them, to whom and when I sell them is no one's business but mine.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Yep +1.

In my opinion, someone in possession of a stolen gun should have some very serious consequences. If it can be determined that he was the one that stole it, Branding comes to mind along with some hard jail time.

If my gun is stolen, I would report it. Not because "the thief might use it to commit a crime". He's already committed a crime. I'd report it because it cost me several hundred dollars.

If my shovel was stolen I probably would not report it. What good would it do? If they actually sent a cop out to take a report (in my town they would, but in bigger towns, it's quite doubtful) it would just get filed. So I'd cuss a little about the worthless scum who stole my shovel, and get another one. BUT WAIT!!!! The man that stole my shovel might use it to hit my neighbor upside his head!! I must report this stolen shovel, in case someone uses it to commit a crime.

Baaaa.

And the idea that the Morons In The Government want to make a law requiring me to report a theft. See, I'd be much easier to arrest (for failure to report) than the scum who actually did the stealing.

It ho hum just about with any stolen item and thats pretty close to what was experienced 8 yr ago when they(dopeheads) stole some family type guns pretty important to me. Haven't seen any of them since even tho serials were on record for them. Being somewhat wiser now to how the system works, or doesn't, I would have palmed the person of authority a coupla thousand saying "maybe there are some snitches you need to visit." :ph34r:

If my gun is stolen, I would report it. Not because "the thief might use it to commit a crime". He's already committed a crime. I'd report it because it cost me several hundred dollars.

If my shovel was stolen I probably would not report it. What good would it do? If they actually sent a cop out to take a report (in my town they would, but in bigger towns, it's quite doubtful) it would just get filed. So I'd cuss a little about the worthless scum who stole my shovel, and get another one. BUT WAIT!!!! The man that stole my shovel might use it to hit my neighbor upside his head!! I must report this stolen shovel, in case someone uses it to commit a crime.

Baaaa.

And the idea that the Morons In The Government want to make a law requiring me to report a theft. See, I'd be much easier to arrest (for failure to report) than the scum who actually did the stealing.

OK - if a thief uses your stolen gun in a crime and they check the serial number and your name comes up - they be comin' after you first...enjoy the interrogation :lol:

Uh...a shovel isn't the same as a gun and doesn't need to be registered.

Your smarter than I thought....:wacko:

Uh...a shovel isn't the same as a gun and doesn't need to be registered.

Your smarter than I thought....:wacko:

Guns don't need to be registered either.

Guns don't need to be registered either.

You are correct for the most part - I meant more of a record keeping process of the FFL where you bought the gun. In some states and even here in Michigan handguns need to be registered with your local county sheriff/ state police.

in this regard it's a far cry from comparing a shovel to a firearm....

Wow! I'm not sure if I feel more sorry for gunowners that live in a state where they have to register their handguns or for owners that choose to surrender part of their rights by complying with such a overreaching law.

No wonder the purposal in Chicago seems mild.

Several years ago, I was going to the farm and had an OM Blackhawk and my old '91 Mauser (my first deer rifle) stolen out of my truck thru a smashed window WHILE I WAS IN CHURCH!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Called the law, they took the report, Monday morning before I got out of bed APD called wanting to know if I wanted my guns back. :) I'm not sure, but I think the dopehead who stole them tried to sell them to an undercover cop. Somehow ATF got involved (I think the perp stole guns for a living) but I got them back less a few rounds of ammo in a few days. I got LUCKY!!! If you don't report it it's a lead pipe cinch you won't recover them.

JHC

My 1st question would be, why wouldn't you report the gun as stolen? <_<

Officer: This gun was dropped at the scene of an armed robbery and it's registered to you.

Suspect: Uh...it was stolen from me.

Officer: Did you report it stolen?

Suspect: Uhhhh.....no.

Officer: When was this pistol stolen from you?

Suspect: I don't remember. When did the armed robbery take place?

I maintain a list and decsription of my guns that can be accessed through two levels of passwords by me from any computer. This list is updated regularly and easy for me to access if I need to make a police report. There is fuzzy data in the file that would be hard for tohers to decipher.

I use the story of the two fellas running from a bear. #1 stops to put on his running shoes while #2 informs #1 that he cannot outrun the bear. Fella #1 simply returns that his only needs is to outrun fella #2. Thieves are interested in the softest of targets. I make sure that my house, my truck and such are not soft.

I carry enough insurance to replace my guns and am not emotionally tied to my guns as irreplaceable items. They make more everyday. My original 19-th century guns were found relatively easily and finding new ones would be an adventure. I have also learned a great deal while collecting these guns and would use that knowledge in finding replacements.

Wow! I'm not sure if I feel more sorry for gunowners that live in a state where they have to register their handguns or for owners that choose to surrender part of their rights by complying with such a overreaching law.

No wonder the purposal in Chicago seems mild.

Feel sorry for yourself, not us in Michigan - there are PLENTY of guns in Michigan and we are working on legislation to overturn it.....

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/6/michigan-house-votes-overwhelmingly-to-repeal-permit-to-purchase-and-registration.aspx

No more laws.

Buena suerte,

eGG

This.

I had a theft some years back and made the report. Deputy came out and made a written report (needed for insurance claim). Every six or seven years I get a call from the Sheriff asking if the weapons were ever found. When I say "no" they say "thank you" and keep the computer entry active.

I also have the serial numbers on my Razr and if I note weapons like the one's I lost on a table then I discretely compare the weapon to my list. If I ever get a "hit" I'll look for the nearest officer and we'll go from there.

SQQ

No more laws.

Buena suerte,

eGG

True - just common sense folks...

No more laws.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Don't misunderstand me: I will report ANY stolen property, if for no other reason than to have something to show my insurance company and so I'll have evidence that it was stolen on or near some given date.

I seriously doubt I'll ever have anything recovered and returned to me unless I find it and get it back myself. (I could be wrong. A friend, long since deceased, had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle recovered and returned after 22 years. More of an accident than any deliberate act by law enforcement.)

I object to being made a criminal when I am in fact a victim. Government's job is to protect me, not pass laws to criminalize me for being victimized by true criminals.

Don't misunderstand me: I will report ANY stolen property, if for no other reason than to have something to show my insurance company and so I'll have evidence that it was stolen on or near some given date.

I seriously doubt I'll ever have anything recovered and returned to me unless I find it and get it back myself. (I could be wrong. A friend, long since deceased, had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle recovered and returned after 22 years. More of an accident than any deliberate act by law enforcement.)

I object to being made a criminal when I am in fact a victim. Government's job is to protect me, not pass laws to criminalize me for being victimized by true criminals.

True - to bad 'common sense' isn't with our government.

OK - if a thief uses your stolen gun in a crime and they check the serial number and your name comes up - they be comin' after you first...enjoy the interrogation :lol:

Not in Cleveland Gunner.

They have their annual feel-good buyback program where they'll give you $100 in Big Mac coupons (or some such stupid crap) and they don't check the numbers, run forensics, or trace them in any way. They just collect them and toss 'em in a smelter at the local mill.

So if you're a punk in Cleveland Ohio, the cops will basically pay you to steal a gun and then rob somebody.

Not in Cleveland Gunner.

They have their annual feel-good buyback program where they'll give you $100 in Big Mac coupons (or some such stupid crap) and they don't check the numbers, run forensics, or trace them in any way. They just collect them and toss 'em in a smelter at the local mill.

So if you're a punk in Cleveland Ohio, the cops will basically pay you to steal a gun and then rob somebody.

Ah yes...I forgot about that common sense civil program LOL....

GG

Archived