SASS Wire Forum

Leatherman MUT

Anyone have one of these?

Looks fascinating! I've always preferred a Gerber, but this thing seems to have everything BUT a bell and whistle.

I'll stick with my Gerber, but there are birthdays and Christmas coming up.... :rolleyes:

MUT

Well, I have never owned one, but a fellow over on the Marlin thread uses his Leatherman to fix rifles. Must be some fiber to it. Myself, I just use the 8# hammer. But I am all about finesse.

Looks interesting. I lost my Gerber a few years back. I liked it better than the Leatherman. Christmas might be a thing.

Review

I own a Leatherman 300 and the MUT, I doubt the MUT will be truely useful.

The 300 looks much more useful.

I also like the Victorinox Swiss Tool.

Yes the same company that makes Swiss Army Knives and now owns Wenger.

I have used a Leatherman Wave for years and love it. Finally broke down and bought a new one a couple of months ago. At work we are commonly cutting bale wires that get tangled around conveyors at stuff. The Gerber I had a long time ago couldn't handle the wire cutting. I broke all the replaceable cutters real quick. I noticed the MUT has replaceable cutters, so I'd be suspicious of that.

The saw on the Wave is a very good saw, will go through a deer pelvis pretty quick. Normally I don't like serrated knife blades, but I can cut through 2 inch poly rope with the serrated blade in 2 to 4 strokes.

I've also had a Buck utility tool. Of all, I like the Leatherman Wave much more than any others I've owned.

The only downside to the Leatherman is the handles will hurt your hands when cutting wires. Gloves are just about a necessity.

Seriously, I have kept our recycled fiber plants running because I had a Leatherman with me. If we'd had to wait on an electrician to show up, we'd have been forced to shut down.

Thanks, Guys.

I'm familiar with a bunch of multi-tools, but was hoping for feedback specifically on the MUT.

A fella had one at a Scout event I was at last weekend, and it was fascinating indeed, particularly in it's AR-15 and M-16 applicability.

Yeah, I agree with ya on the "gloves" thing with Leatherman tools, Pulp. That's what I like about the Gerber... pliers slide out and the handles are quite comfortable. Regarding the "replaceable cutters," though, I'd think that a positive. With the non-replaceable cutters (like on my Gerbers), once the cutter's worn or damaged, it's done. You can only dress 'em so much.

I have two of the Leatherman multi-tools. One is older than the other. Only kick I have is one of them, the knife blade doesn't hold an edge very well. and yes, I do use them on my guns when I have to......... :blush:

Buck, are either of them the M.U.T. model....? :mellow:

I haven't tried the MUT, but I bought the SOG Pocketplier Deluxe multitool a few months ago. The gear action of the pliers is incredibly smooth and powerful. I chose this tool for the 1/4" adapter. I carry screwdriver/hex/torx bits for all of my guns/optics along with it so I can use it to fix anything at the range. The knife on it is razor sharp too. Very good tool that is relatively inexpensive in comparison to other multitools.

A C4 Punch? I'm all over that. I don't know how many times I have been preparing a C4 charge and could not find my punch.

Just what do you plan to do on Christmas, Utah? :unsure:

I think you are refering to is the MUT EOD or EOD MUT.

There are last time I checked are 3 versions of the MUT.

It was on the link that Utah Bob posted. Reading down the list on the right side it says it has a C4 punch.

I didn't know Utah Bob was into C4 so much.

Don't really need the mut for that.

Still have my demo knife. :lol:

Archived