SASS Wire Forum

Today is Dad's birthday!

EE Taft

Today is My Dad's Birthday! Just wanted to make a post in honor of him. Enjoy, Y'all!

My Ol' Man never talked much with us about Vietnam....I don't think it was due to the fact that it conjured terrible memories for him. I'm sure he has those bad memories of the sights and sounds of war, losing friends that he'd talked with about what they would do when they got back to the world. No....I think it was more out of humbleness than anything. He's no hero.......to anyone but me, my brother and sister....to us he's everything we could ask for in a hero, a mentor, a healer, a shoulder, a rock......a father.

I never asked him much about Vietnam until later in my years. Just now, about 15 minutes ago I got off the phone with him to ask what company he was with over there.....I couldn't remember.......He even had trouble remembering. :lol:

My Dad, James Michael Kitch Sr., Served God and Country as an ordinary man in the 805th and 446th Transport Company as a truck driver, hauling in convoys supplies, ammo, and other needed materials to fire base camps. From there his memory is a bit foggy but he said he thought it was part of the 12th Support Brigade....he mentioned also the 26th Support Group but....as we know time catches up with us all and he couldn't remember.

The thing that amazes me about this man I call Dad, is that while he had trouble reflecting on his own life, he could remember details of other family members. That of the fact (and I didn't know all of this until now) that my granddad's three brothers all served in WWII. He even recalls a story about uncle Dick....In Germany, going to the movies one night (during some period of ease in the war) and getting robbed and stabbed by a mugger,highway man, what have you......the story sparked a bit of laughter between us as he recounted that Uncle Dick had been stabbed in the back, but was only upset that he missed the movie.

Dad told me some of the places in Vietnam that he was regularly in. Some changes that were made moving him from one place to another.....it's all enough to make my young head spin! :wacko: I value these stories as (to me)his stories and many that I've gotten from other Vietnam Vets both locally and here on the Wire, Saloon, SASS Family are true unfiltered stories of the way things really happened.

Dad never talked about his homecoming after his tour......Probably best that he didn't when I was young.....I'd 'a never quit asking him "Why Daddy?"......He told me a bit today......about being held over in Vietnam due to a breakdown of the plane that was due to bring them home. They had to fly another engine in from the States, which made them all weary as to whether they would live through the ride home after being in hell.....hehehe :lol: Another chuckle point, now that he's looking back....He said they came in over Tacoma, Washington and landed in Seattle (I think that's what he said :unsure: ) He said in the cabin of the plane full of Vets coming home, you could have heard a pin drop on the carpeted floor as they touched down......then cheers!......Deboarding the plane, he was met at the gate by (his words) a hippy looking couple with flowers painted on their faces....they smiled and waved as he walked past, then said "Welcome home! How does it feel to be a baby killer?" then spit on him as he passed.........

Throughout my life and lives of my brother and sister, my dad has been rock solid....never loosing an ounce of love for my mother or us. I've seen him work in the freezing cold and blistering heat installing industrial HVAC equipment, Drive trucks from one end of the country to the other and being gone for weeks at a time, and still come home with a love like no other for us. He's never thought of himself over us.....or anyone. Never.

He's in a bit of bad health now with Emphasema (sp?) but has quit smoking and leads a very active life for someone in his condition. Even when tired he seems full of life.......not giddy or goofy.....just happy. He's never looked down on anyone for any reason, never hated, never made someone feel lower than him.......He is a good man....a gift from God, I say.

So....While we all gather here to share this family way that SASS is, to promote our sport, and to live the life we love.....I don't ask for you to honor him.....as he wouldn't ask for honor, I don't ask you to thank him.......as he feels he needs no thanks.

Just......tell my Dad happy Birthday.

He is the reason I am what I am......if I'm half the man he is, I'll be a great one.

Happy Birthday, Dad

~EE Taft~

I can no longer wish my Dad a Happy Birthday, so, EE, I'll be more than happy to wish your Dad one.

Mr. James Michael Kitch Sr., Sir, a most Happy Birthday to you and thank you sincerely for your service to our country. :FlagAm:

You must be a hell of a man, because you've raised a fine son.

EE you are very,very lucky to have you dad for a long time.I would like to wish him a very happy birthday.Give him a big hug from the old Pit Bull,I lose my dad with I just turned 15.

I do feel very blessed to have a father that loved us all.......Ya know, it's said that even the best loves on Earth shared between people carries a certain amount of conditions......."I love you, but"......

.......I, as well as many here and everywhere, will probably say the same, But If ever I saw unconditional love in this life it was from my Dad......

He kept us on the straight and narrow, loved us through it all, and never sank to any low levels to show us the right way to live. He never had to say "Don't do this because I did and look what happened to me"

With a house (life) built on a rock (solid ground and solid choices) rather than the shifting sand (uncertainty and immorality) one will find the true path. That's what he gave us.

.......It's funny......My dad has never been religious (at least not to the extent I am, and I'm not extremely religious)but with the solid foundation that he gave by simply showing us that there's strength in good, he led me to know God. He asked me humbly, after mom's open heart surgery, why I was so confident that she'd make it through as well as she did.....I said, "I prayed, and some friends of mine prayed. With prayer like that and the power of prayer to God all things are possible." Without directly asking me, this man that raised me and taught me how to live pretty much asked me how to pray.....humble enough to ask me to help him learn. :blush: I don't think it was a matter of he didn't know how to pray.....but more the idea of he wanted to know how I was so sure things would come out good in the end.........He ought to know, he taught me that.......whether he knows it or not.

Oh.......The Sr/Jr thing.....I'm not junior....That honor went to my brother.....He just had his birthday too.....22nd......He's another part of me........everytime I fell, he was there to pick me up........While we're at it, Mom's birthday was the 24th! What can I say about Mom........everyone loves their Mama! :blush: My Sis and I were just weird.....our birthdays were in the spring! :lol:

Lot's of bithdays this month! :lol:

Well.......my jibberish has been spread far and wide this weekend with this. :lol: Thank you all for warm wishes for my Dad.....and Mom and Brother if y'all care to say a few words for them.

I'm proud just to be a part of a family that is rooted on solid ground........This time of year I guess I just get mushy.

~EE Taft~

On the note of Dad's service in Vietnam, I'm beginning to talk to him and anyone else that will teach me about the real hitory of that war. I thought one day I might like to write a book of some sort to share with people of my generation and our kids, detailing the experiences of those that were there, in country. I think it would be helpful to my generation ans honorable to the Vets of Vietnam. I think the loss of education on these times and experiences is a dishonor to those that fought and died there, as well as all those that returned and made a good life for their families.......to some, the term "Baby killer" still lingers......I'd like to see to it that that label is removed and the honor and respect that these men and women deserve is protected and preserved for future generations. While there was some bad things that happened there, the honor of all that served should not be tarnished.

With resect to you all,

~EE Taft~

:FlagAm:

Will do!

I will send him to this site and let him read the postings.

~EE Taft~

EE, love him every day your alive, I lost my step dad 24 years ago, I wish I could talk to him even if it's a few minutes

Happy Birthday to him

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Sounds like all of us have dads that made the same impact on our lives.

A dad........common as they come......may never know what a great gift he is in the lives of his kids!

My apologies for my assumtive (is that even a word!?! :unsure: ) thinking.

While some here didn't have the experience that I had in this regard, you are all valuable to me. I would not share such heartfelt posts with people that I didn't value as family.....y'all are a good bunch of friends.

Thank you, Miss Mary, For correcting me on that.

~EE Taft~

No apologies necessary hon, I really enjoy hearing stories about people having a good relationship with their parents. It just confirms for me that's how it's supposed to be, and makes me appreciate the two people (totally unrelated to me) that I wish were my parents! ;)

I hope you got the chance to let your dad know today how much he means to you, and I'm happy that you two have such a strong, loving relationship! :)

Hehehe......it's kinda funny......when we're together doing something, it's kinda........we're both men of few words.......until we email or something.......I'm kinda the same way in everything......until someone gets me on a subject that's near and dear......then I don't shut up!

......On Birthdays it's .......ring........ring......."Hello?"......Hey dad, just wanted to tell ya happy birthday...."Thanks".......Welcome........"Y'all comin' fer thanksgivin', ain't cha?" .......yup........."OK, Bye".......Bye.

But we know what we're talkin' about......We laugh about it sometimes......It's sorta one of those unspoken things.

Now........If we're workin' on a car, truck, big truck, tractor, guitar, etc...........it's *(@$@%^&%$!$#$!(#%&*@*$)_@_$)!#&_^!*#%!$(!#$(*&%#$)%(*@%$@$#%!#^_*^*$_&@$^*%$)%&!#_%*((_!$^_*_$_%!$%!$*@+$^)(@%^@*$_!$^+)$(@%*@$^!#&+!#&+(^$^%@%+*@$^&)+!#)*#)*^*$&!$%*!$&*@^$@(%$.......stop and take a breath......_@*%%@^$#&&!$_$*(%)#%(%^(&@$&)%!@$#*%$%(@^$&^)*(@_(%*+@(&@*%^@&%)@($^+)$!

:lol::lol: :lol:

Y'all didn't know I knew so much foul language, did ya?

~EE Taft~

.......Then there's the broken toe when I kick a tire too hard.......thinkin' it's got enough give.......I ain't done that in a while though!

I think I finally learned my lesson on that! :lol:

Happy birthday to your Dad, EE. Some of the RVN era vets have some problems with bringing up their experiences there. I've worked with a few. Just be patient and if he's resistant, best let it ride for a while.

Oh yeah, I'm only 1 year younger than him. I'm not THAT old! 64 is just well seasoned :lol::blush:

Hehehe......it's kinda funny......when we're together doing something, it's kinda........we're both men of few words.......until we email or something.......I'm kinda the same way in everything......until someone gets me on a subject that's near and dear......then I don't shut up!

......On Birthdays it's .......ring........ring......."Hello?"......Hey dad, just wanted to tell ya happy birthday...."Thanks".......Welcome........"Y'all comin' fer thanksgivin', ain't cha?" .......yup........."OK, Bye".......Bye.

But we know what we're talkin' about......We laugh about it sometimes......It's sorta one of those unspoken things.

Now........If we're workin' on a car, truck, big truck, tractor, guitar, etc...........it's *(@$@%^&%$!$#$!(#%&*@*$)_@_$)!#&_^!*#%!$(!#$(*&%#$)%(*@%$@$#%!#^_*^*$_&@$^*%$)%&!#_%*((_!$^_*_$_%!$%!$*@+$^)(@%^@*$_!$^+)$(@%*@$^!#&+!#&+(^$^%@%+*@$^&)+!#)*#)*^*{:content:}amp;!$%*!{:content:}amp;*@^$@(%$.......stop and take a breath......_@*%%@^$#&&!$_$*(%)#%(%^(&@{:content:}amp;)%!@$#*%$%(@^{:content:}amp;^)*(@_(%*+@(&@*%^@&%)@($^+)$!

:lol::lol: :lol:

Y'all didn't know I knew so much foul language, did ya?

~EE Taft~

Ya know.....I think my Father would have liked you're Dad a lot.

Sounds to me like they would have gotten along quite well !

I loved my Father as much as possible. I admired him for teaching me about Mother Earth, and her ways. And sometimes he would ask me "Son what do this mean ?" and when I didn't quite know how to tell him he would say "Give it to me straight Boy...I can take it !" He would cuss and fight just because you asked him to be won't cross the street for all the tea in china ! I'll never forget.....one time we where working on my KW and a part that went in when the guy showed me would not fit at home. "Ya sure ya got the right part ?" "Yes Father." It fit there at the store ?" Yes Father !" Well what did you do wrong boy ?" I never answered. I just a ball pin hammer and stared taking my aggravations out on that part and to my surprise the part started to in and I felt a bump from him. Looking up with anger in my eyes he said, "Here son....make war at it with a bigger hammer !" I tried really hard to keep a straight face but a least I could not ! We walked off, laughing all the way to the bar !

I hope you're Dad gets to read this cause as I said before, it seems to me that they where alot alike !

Happy birthday to your Dad, EE. Some of the RVN era vets have some problems with bringing up their experiences there. I've worked with a few. Just be patient and if he's resistant, best let it ride for a while.

Oh yeah, I'm only 1 year younger than him. I'm not THAT old! 64 is just well seasoned :lol::blush:

:lol:

Nope, it's not old at all! Y'all are just at that age where ya start going from young and good lookin' to old and wise........basically what I'm sayin' is that my dad.....and maybe you....are currently.......neither! Bawhahahahahaaahhahahaa :lol: !

Seriously though, dad doesn't really have any problems talking about Vietnam. It's more one of those thing that we never asked so he never told.......now that I ask he seems almost proud of me wanting to know.......who'd'a thunked it! ^_^

I don't know if it's true or not, but dad says I have a gift for talking to Vets (especially Vietnam Vets) about their war experiences. Maybe so, maybe not, But I have benefited greatly from every story and every bit of information that any Vet has ever given me. I feel blessed just to be able to spend time with anyone who served and to get to talk so personally and emotionally.

......You Vietnam Vets out there are part of why I am the way I am.......in effect, you have all had a profound impact on my life.

I hope I can have the privilege of helping share that history with my children, and to make it special enough to them that they might share it with their children.

~EE Taft~

So many here that have lost their fathers.......some too early........it's always too early, I'm sure.

I wouldn't mind if we turned this thread into some stories about our dads. Good memories maybe?

Fishin' stories?

Huntin' stories?

What'cha got?

For me it would be hard to nail down any one time.......a more recent one, a few years back Dad and I were working on a guitar. I gave him some ideas of what I'd like to do on a guitar and he started on it. He would build the bodies and buy the necks and set everything up into a fine custom set up that you couldn't find in stores.......We got the idea to build one simalar to a Fender Tele 72 custom, but with an extremely aged body and special pickups and eletronics......I figured we'd just build it for the (as mom put it) Massive collection of guitars that were piling up in their basement. I got my hands in on this one more than most, doing alot of the work and making it what it was but Dad kinda walked me through the hard stuff.......just like teaching me how to work on cars when I was 14....

When it was done, Dad said "Here, plug it in and play it....." It was the sweetest sounding guitar I'd played yet.....Now, at the time I was a Gibson Les Paul nut.......But this thing had the twang of a Tele and the growl of the Les Paul....all in one. I played a few songs and had some fun......when I got done playing I took it off and set it in the nearest stand......"Good'un" I said.

He walked over, picked it up, and put it in a case and carried it upstairs. I didn't think nothing of it. I thought he was gonna show it to mom, which he did......then he turned around and handed it to me......"Here...it's yours." he said.

Well.....I got kinda teary eyed.......he said "git outta here! go home and play it. Have fun with it!

Now........I've owned and sold many guitars.......I've sold them in hard times, when we needed to get by, pay the bills.....ya know.

If I were dead and bound for hell come daylight tomorrow.....That guitar would go with me......and not even the devil himself will pry it outta my fingers! God help anyone that ever tries to take it from me!

Here she is. Strapped on my back, first song.....first time played.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac20/EE_Taft/167805_126290590773943_100001790074062_158920_1209903_n.jpg

~EE Taft~

I wish your Father a happy birthday !

I wish him the Lords blessings .

:FlagAm:

Archived