SASS Wire Forum

Loading lead 30 30 rounds

Come On Christmas

I have cast 120 grain Lee Gas Check Bullets without the gas check with a lighter load of Trail Boss. Store bought bullets are fairly accurate at 100 yards. The cast bullets are all over the map. The lead bullets are mic-ed out at .310 I used an SPG like lube and crimped them.

How can I improve my accuracy?

Shameless

1. Use the gas-checks. Check for accuraacy. If not acceptable;

2. Size to .309. Check for accuracy. If not acceptable;

3. Change lube to something with more "stayin' power" and load them a little "hotter".

What's the twist rate for your rifle? Sometimes the little 115s or 120s aren't long enough to stabilize well.

Try a gas checked no it must be gas checked and trail boss is not good for a 30-30 you are bruning the buts off the bullets try R7 and 4198 well work good and how hot do want them to be. I like soft 1350fps this got me 6th place at Winter Range 1st Colorado State good luck.

GK

Try 150 or 170 grain bullets with gas checks. IMR 3031 powder is the go-to for powder that equals factory loads. Very accurate 100-400 yards. .310 should be OK.

Jake

* Heavier GC Bullet in the weight range of 155-170gr

* Use SR 4759 powder ... if you want the charge, send me a PM

* Slug your bore - 310's sound on the small side

* Use Lyman #2 as your lead alloy

Here's an example of what a 30-30 can do. Increase the bullet weight to 200-220gr and your in the 1000yd range capability

OK, here's my FIRST experience with maximum distance with accuracy shooting a 30-30:

Here's what I read in the 1949 Ideal Handbook:

The Ideal 311413 ... Squibb gas-check bullet for the Springfield and other 30-06 rifles. Perhaps the most accurate gas-check bullet yet produced. Excellent for target practice up to 600yds

Note the words ... most accurate and up to 600 yards

So, I watched eBay 'hard' for that mold and was lucky to win a bid on the 311413, then - cast a 100 - put GC's on them and reload 20 with the powder charge in the 1949 Handbook

I had the pleasure to shoot it for the 1st time last Sunday ...

http://www.three-peaks.net/images/311413_169g.gif ... with Gas Check

... after our 2 day Lever Action Silhouette Match at Ridgway.

Winchester M94, 30-30, Williams peep and a too fat diopter pin on the front sight (which was replaced today)

Ideal 311413 - Brinell 15.3 - 170.8gr

xx,x gr IMR 4759

A box of 20:

* got the 0.481" setting for the 300m pigs - downed 3 in a row

* got the 0.700" setting for the 500m rams - (an approximate 7 inch, 5 shot group on the 500m swinger per my spotter) and then downed 1 ram ... no more rounds

I'm a believer ... 500 meters = 546 yards Plus No Leading!

:)

These bullets are for Sass. Are Gas Checks okay for Cody Dixon? Wanna be legal. The places I shoot put the target at @ 75 yards. I have not loaded smokeless much. Black powder is so forgiving.

I am with you on the heavier bullet. I was thinking power factor.

My buddy suggested not crimping them as I would be loading them one at a time.

The other thing I thought of was the old fashioned paper wrapped bullets.

Thanks guys,

Shameless

Hey, what about a black powder load with cream o wheat?

I know the history of the 30 30 being the first gun designed for smokeless, but ours is a different application, accuracy at a shorter distance.

Shameless

BP in the .30-30 is a dismal performer in my experience. Whether trying for power or accuracy. Fouls terribly and performance lacks, 2F, 3F or even 4F; none seem to work. I've read that the 32Winchester Special was developed specifically to allow reloading with BP. The larger diameter allowed better performance w/BP.

Yep, the 311413 bullet is great. I'm a RE7 fan in the .30-30, meters very well and I've found the best accuracy at near max loads. Although my favorite mold is the Saeco #316.

Unless your range has some specific prohibition, gas-checks are legal for long range rifle. @ 75 yards, I don't think there'll be an issue with gas-checks separating from the base, too light to travel very far.

Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.
SHB, pg. 17

You don't mention what rifle you're using. If it's a Micro-Groove (MG) rifled Marlin, accuracy may be tough to find. I've shot a few cast in my Mg rifled Marlin 45-70 and never could get anything to shoot well in spite of trying the recommended over-sized bullets and hard alloy. I'd suggest heading over to the Cast Boolit website. There's volumes of information over there.

If you're shooting a decent rifle with standard rifling, accuracy shouldn't be hard to find. I've not tried any Trail Boss, but have fired a few thousand .30 caliber cast loads out of .308's, 7.5 Swiss, and 30-06's with reduced loads of Bullseye, Red Dot and AL2400 with a large pistol primer. Any of them work wonderfully and I've assembled some extremely accurate loads with all these powders. I prefer Bullseye for loads in the 1000-1100 fps range, Red Dot for 1100-1400 fps, and 2400 for faster hunting loads.

Your little bullet should work fine, but like others have said, it'd probably work best with the check applied. Isn't SPG a black powder lube? If so, it may be too soft, as others have said.

I have an NEI mould that casts a bullet that I'd say was designed specifically for the 30-30:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Cast%20bullets/?action=view&current=NEI3081457.jpg

From wheelweights it casts out at about 155 grs. and with it out of a good match rifle I've fired groups that approach 1" @ 100 yds:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Cast%20bullets/?action=view&current=NEI308145group.jpg

If you'll shoot me an e-mail or message next time you're coming to a Shortgrass Rangers shoot, I'll bring or send you a bunch to try out! I also have some home-brew lube that's soft-ish and easy to work with I can let you try out.

Good luck!

Cholla

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Just my most recent results (2008)

My 1964-built Win M-1894 carbine likes 150gr+ bullets (monotype metal only).

BTW: I never checked the twist (factory barrel).

.309" sizing dies worked well. .308" opened up the groups.

It only shot decently with gas checks. Both Hornady and Lyman worked well.

My best accuracy was with Unique and 748. But I never could go past 1800 FPS and get good groups.

Rooster Red lube worked the best.

I had to use a poly filler.

Good luck, Pard.

MG

Gas Checks, 309 sizer, prolly Alox lube, and powder change. Can do. Will do.

I am using a post 64 Winchester.

Thanks

Oh yeah, clean ALL copper fouling out of it!

I use a 175gr gas checked in .311 with 3031 that shoots well to 300yd in my Highwall and 1948 era Marlin, but I'm sure it would work out farther if I tried. Used to get 'en from Bonus Bullets, but I think Sundance had those or similar molds. Not sure if they're still around?

CR

I have been using True Shot gas checked 170 grainers to good affect from both a Marlin 336 and a pre 64 Winchester over H335. Heavy gas checked bullets are a must (I was told over and over!)

A few of things, of course another's mileage may vary. In my experience, gas check bullets don't work well with out the gas check. I'm not sure why and am not going to speculate.

What alloy are you using?

If it's to soft or hard, both can contribute to leading and inaccuracy.

Marlin MicroGroove rifling can be very accurate with cast bullets.

As with others, I do recommend a lube designed for smokeless and a heavier bullet.

Again, just my experience.

I have cast 120 grain Lee Gas Check Bullets without the gas check with a lighter load of Trail Boss. Store bought bullets are fairly accurate at 100 yards. The cast bullets are all over the map. The lead bullets are mic-ed out at .310 I used an SPG like lube and crimped them.

Shameless

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I used to load a 130 gr LRN w/ gas check over 10 grains of Unique.

I used a Kapok filler (synthetic stuffing from a throw pillow)to keep the powder near the primer. Averaged

around 1100 f/s out of a model 94.

Good rabbit load - accurate to 100 yds without trying - past that I was too lazy to try - YMMV... but Unique

is great for these type of pistol velocity loads in bottle necked cartridges . . .

Shadow Catcher

Use the 173 Lyman Bullet with a Gas Check,Then try 5744 Powdwer with the suggested load.Then Cut a patch of Scotch Brite and soak it in REM Oil and run it through your rifle barrel a few time to clear out any old lead particles and to smooth out out any and all rough bores and then clean it. This will help you with the accuracy part.

This was an old Strategy used by an old soldier that new more about accuracy secrets that I will ever begin to know.

It worked for me in my Winchester and it should work for you...

Respectfully,

CBA

Archived