SASS Wire Forum

Turkey Shoots

I am talking about the shotgun game where an X is placed on a sheet of paper and then a single shotgun

shell if fired at the target some distance away. The one closest to the center of the X wins the ham, turkey, beef quarter or side, depending on the prize.

I suppose the same thing could be done with a squirrel gun but most that I know of have been shotguns.

I've been to a few until I realized that they were mostly just a raffle using shotguns instead of tickets drawn from a hat. Assuming that everyone there has the tightest shotgun choke possible, the "winner" is determined by the random placement of a single pellet within the pattern. No skill in that at all.

I'd still go if one were a fundraiser for something I believed in, but not on a casual basis.

I attended one many years ago. IIRC it was pretty much a stock shotgun game at that time, but reading

a few things on the web here, it looks like they have begun to add scopes, tinker with the choke of the barrels and ad infinitum.

Maybe a long barreled Kentucky rifle with a single ball would be more fun and better balanced.

But then, perhaps someone would want to mount some glass on that also. Oh well.

Never been to one using a shotgun. Around here its iron sighed non target model 22s

That could be fun.

Do you partake? If so, what are you shooting. Could I use my stock 39AS?

Around here it's a big deal to some folks. I know two fellas with shotguns that have inserted barrels, back-bored with wad-stoppers and rifle sights. Lot of folks here go for the pot at a shoot, the ham or turkey is unimportant. Some guys even shoot shotguns with 4 foot barrels and four support rods from muzzle to breech. They have different classes, there is a "stock" class, but I've never seen a "stock" gun at any turkey shoot around here.

I use my dads coast to coast marlin bolt action. Not sure what model its had over a million rounds through it but shoots exactly where you point it. The bolt handle spins all the time.

Any 22 that has its stock barrel, no bull barrels and isnt a target model is allowed. No peep sights just flat top normal sights.

I used to compete every year. Won a turkey and ham for thanksgiving this way the first three years we were married. I couldnt afford to buy the meat so I shot for it. You only get one shot per round and no buy backs if you shot bad. normally three round to get you to the finals. All shots a are off hand no slings our sticks allowed. Shot at thirty-five yards standard pistol inch by inch grid targets used.

I use my dads coast to coast marlin bolt action. Not sure what model its had over a million rounds through it but shoots exactly where you point it. The bolt handle spins all the time.

Any 22 that has its stock barrel, no bull barrels and isnt a target model is allowed. No peep sights just flat top normal sights.

I used to compete every year. Won a turkey and ham for thanksgiving this way the first three years we were married. I couldnt afford to buy the meat so I shot for it. You only get one shot per round and no buy backs if you shot bad. normally three round to get you to the finals. All shots a are off hand no slings our sticks allowed. Shot at thirty-five yards standard pistol inch by inch grid targets used.

:)That sounds like my kind of shoot.

[/color][/b]

:)That sounds like my kind of shoot.

yeah its a lot of fun. Normally about a hundred shooters. Entry fee is $5 half going to a local food shelf the rest covers targets rent of the range and the meat

Haven't been to one in years, but the ones around here (or at least they used to be) are all fund-raising types. The Shrine always had one, for the Crippled Children's Fund. Couple of Volunteer Fire Departments had 'em. It cost a dollar, back then. There were 14 people in each shoot. The Shrine supplied the shells (normally Federal Game Load 8s - whatever was cheapest at Grants or KMart) for each shooter - you couldn't use your own. You got one shot. If you went up there without a gun, somebody (often several somebodies) would offer you the use of theirs. It was whoever's pellet was closest to the center of the target. Targets were 40 yards away. It was about a 14 pound turkey, back when turkey was around a quarter a pound. So it cost the Shrine 3.50 for each turkey (and they might even have been donated), they made 14 bucks on each one. Big fire blazing, one of them big 36-cup coffee urns brewing, everybody had fun. Win win.

Lord, it's been 30 years or more. Wow.

Haven't been to one in years, but the ones around here (or at least they used to be) are all fund-raising types. The Shrine always had one, for the Crippled Children's Fund. Couple of Volunteer Fire Departments had 'em. It cost a dollar, back then. There were 14 people in each shoot. The Shrine supplied the shells (normally Federal Game Load 8s - whatever was cheapest at Grants or KMart) for each shooter - you couldn't use your own. You got one shot. If you went up there without a gun, somebody (often several somebodies) would offer you the use of theirs. It was whoever's pellet was closest to the center of the target. Targets were 40 yards away. It was about a 14 pound turkey, back when turkey was around a quarter a pound. So it cost the Shrine 3.50 for each turkey (and they might even have been donated), they made 14 bucks on each one. Big fire blazing, one of them big 36-cup coffee urns brewing, everybody had fun. Win win.

Lord, it's been 30 years or more. Wow.

Man, I want to go.....That sounds like a great way to raise money for the charity and for a bunch of would be gun guys to have a fun day at the range.

The one our VFW is doing this weekend is like most of them around here. Its trap with 10 people in a line. everyone shoots from the far left 16yd line, 22yd center, and 27yd right. who ever is left plays follow the leader anywhere on the property. You miss your out. Last person left wins. Next group goes up etc. Most of the hardcore trap guys are quick on the bird, so when I'm first I go in front of or just off to the side of the trap house. Throws off their rythum. I guess the BP shells do also but....

November 3, 6am 'til 2pm at the Volunteer Fire Department. They've been doing it for decades but this is the first time they actually had a set ending time. The draw back is that they supply the ammunition, otherwise, I'd show up with my 1901 with the 32" barrel and full choke and shoot my BP CAS loads.

I am talking about the shotgun game where an X is placed on a sheet of paper and then a single shotgun

shell if fired at the target some distance away. The one closest to the center of the X wins the ham, turkey, beef quarter or side, depending on the prize.

I suppose the same thing could be done with a squirrel gun but most that I know of have been shotguns.

...we have them right 'ere in Indian Territory... ...they will be held on Saturdays and Sundays, the first 3 weekends of November... the house gives out the shotshells and gauges each shotgun used to make certain nothing tighter than a full choke is used. The winner has 'is choice of ham or turkey.

well now

just about all of em are done with s/g around here :blink:

we used to have one where you sould shoot a clay pigon hung on a string at 50 yd with a M/L rifle

Iron sights , off hand for the Vol Fire Dept ,

they quit doing the archery and the BP rifle :angry:

them were fun , and I WON lots of turkeys

CB

well now

just about all of em are done with s/g around here :blink:

we used to have one where you sould shoot a clay pigon hung on a string at 50 yd with a M/L rifle

Iron sights , off hand for the Vol Fire Dept ,

they quit doing the archery and the BP rifle :angry:

them were fun , and I WON lots of turkeys

CB

We had those in Georgia and its a hoot. Cut the string and you get an extra prize.

Do any of these matches use iron shot? I can't imagine that they would, but if they supply the shells, they might be buying off the shelf and maybe slipping in some steel shot.

...they use whatever they can get for Wally World...

The one our VFW is doing this weekend is like most of them around here. Its trap with 10 people in a line. everyone shoots from the far left 16yd line, 22yd center, and 27yd right. who ever is left plays follow the leader anywhere on the property. You miss your out. Last person left wins. Next group goes up etc. Most of the hardcore trap guys are quick on the bird, so when I'm first I go in front of or just off to the side of the trap house. Throws off their rythum. I guess the BP shells do also but....

BC,

Our TRAP "Turkey Shoots" are a combination of two games. We do one before Thanksgiving and then one before Christmas.

First, we divide the shooters by their handicap yardage (18-21, 22-24, 25-27) and give the top 15% (for 2 rounds or 50 shots) a turkey for each yardage group.

Then we go to a game we call Annie Oakley - it is a "pot" game for $$$, each throws $5 or $10 in the pot. We all line up parallel on the 27 yd line(first station, strung out to the right) and the first shooter calls for the bird and if he/she misses, the second can shoot it before it hits the ground. if the second misses, the third has a shot at it, then fourth. Once it is hit, all who shot & missed ahead of that shooter are eliminated, and you restart with the next shooter after the hit. If all miss, you go back to the second shooter and start again.

When you get to the last shooter in line and his/her call and shot, the remaining shooters (not eliminated) transition to the "follow the leader" game you mentioned. Sounds complicated, but it is not, and when you get to the follow the leader part it is great fun. I've seen folks with homemade heavy loads that hurt me to stand next in line as we shot from about 5o yd line on an extreme angle. Folks come out of the woodwork for this with handloads.

Lastly, we do the same game again as a "buddy shoot", with partners at the 27yd line and the trap set to continental. If you overshoot your partner, your team is out.

Of course, this is all followed by food, adult libations and storytelling...!

Harvey

...they use whatever they can get for Wally World...

Or what they can get a good deal on buying by the flat. They used to buy a LOT of 12 and 20 and then half a case or so of 16 because a couple of the older fellers in the area back then would pull out their 16 gauge Auto 5's for the turkey shoot. They would win their turkey then stay up there all day loaning the gun out to some young guy that needed the meat while they drank coffee (the beer stayed up up until the shooting was done) and told lie- I mean stories about the old days.

Or what they can get a good deal on buying by the flat. They used to buy a LOT of 12 and 20 and then half a case or so of 16 because a couple of the older fellers in the area back then would pull out their 16 gauge Auto 5's for the turkey shoot. They would win their turkey then stay up there all day loaning the gun out to some young guy that needed the meat while they drank coffee (the beer stayed up up until the shooting was done) and told lie- I mean stories about the old days.

That sounds like my Grandfather and his Brother with my 16 Gauge Winchester Model 37.

In the early 1970s the Bell County CB radio club put on turkey shoots that were real tests of marksmanship.

All shooting was standing, unsupported, shoot what you brung. The targets were saucers set at 100 yards for pistols and .22 rim fire and 200 yards for centerfire rifles. You got three shots for a dollar, and any hit won a turkey. Several people won turkeys and the bragging rights that went with a hit and the club made a lot of money.

Duffield

IIRC The black powder crowd over at Snaqualmie has a shoot. Maybe I will check it out and go watch. I sure am not going to get involved in another rifle, black powder and a new discipline, but it would be fun to see.

BMC

if ya still got that OLD ENFIELD , take her out there

I like markmanship shoots , LOTS better than LUCK shoots with a S/G

Just my outlook on it

CB

Hahahahaha, them 58 caliber slugs make a big hole, then pull the target through it.

Archived