SASS Wire Forum

Memories...Sweet memories

Ace_of_Hearts

What is missing now that you use to have as a youngster?

(Keep it clean guys)

Squirrel Nut Zippers

Decent affordable toys: electric trains, cap guns, bicycles, Erector sets, all those wonderful Marx and Hubley things, and all the rest.

I have these toys to play with and display. IMG_1684.jpg?t=1336101579

I call it "Toys for Boys of all Ages" Around $600 for them now.

Big Jake

This may sound kinda silly, but ya gotta remember.....I'm a younger guy.

When I was a kid we had the train sets and such and one of the things that we all collected and played with were Ertl farm toys. They were die cast, most likely even then made over seas, and man......When you woke up to head for the john in the middle of the night and found one in the floor with your bare foot.......IT HURT!....They were tough......I was always a nut for John Deere, and Case toys and when I could get my hands on them I'd get some Caterpiller toys as well. My Granddad and uncles worked for Cat Peoria (I think that's where it was :blush: ) so I was always looking for those.

The reason I mention these (And yes, they are still around today) Remember how heavy and tough they were?.....One of my boys wanted to start collecting JD toys and asked for a semi w/ lowboy and a JD tractor......Naturally, I thought this was great as I could enjoy the hobby with him.......I bought it for him, we got home and he popped it out of the box.......CHEAP PLASTIC! I can't believe they are making Ertl farm toys out of plastic now! They are junk and have very little detail compared to when I was a kid. They do make "Collector series toys".......If you want to pay $30 and higher for a tractor.

No quality in anything any more.

The real kick in the butt.......The same truck/trailor/tractor combo when I was a kid was about $10 for the diecast.....I paid $15 for the plastic, light weight, junk version for him..........He still likes them, and we still pick them up here and there, but I am losing faith in the quality of such products.........as much as everything else.

~EE (Who wishes I'd have kept a lot of my toys) Taft~

Thye radio shows. Saturday mornings with Big Jon and Sparky, playing The Teddy Bears' Picnic; Getting ready for school withErnie Kovacs (or Bob $ Ray); Thye Lone Ranger; Suspence,; Lights Out; Gangbusters; Mr. Keene, trace of lost persons. As I got older Martin Block's Make Believe Ballroom. A lot better than the crap they call music today.

I wonder how many of you watched a TEST PATTERN while waiting for the Saturday morning cartoons to come on.

I wonder how many of you watched a TEST PATTERN while waiting for the Saturday morning cartoons to come on.

I did! And the idea of saturday morning cartoons sounds like some kind of nightmare parallel universe to my kids! They don't understand the notion of two channels either.........Let's see......I think when I was a kid the prime time line up was Heehaw or Cheers. And when the Prez came on your night was ruined.......unless it was still light out. Then we'd go down to the pond and fish until dark. When it got dark we'd play hide and seek out in the yard....huge yard in the country.....I live in the country now and if my kids hide outside I run around like an idiot hollerin' for 'em until they show up gigglin'. Times have changed!

Mom and Dad pretty much knew we were still out there........and they knew if it got quiet, they better make sure we hadn't set fire to the garage or wrecked the lawn mower!

........Man........I still remember the first riding mower we had.......Me and my brother thought it was a go cart! Dad didn't think it was very funny though! $900 from Western Auto, brand new!.........Did you know that if you take one of those old MTDs, put it in 6th gear reverse, release the clutch and get moving, then slam it into forward gear......It'll ride one heck of a wheelie! Especially if there is two of ya on there! :lol: We were kinda ornery!......sometimes still are!

One of the main things.......Rabbit huntin' with my brother........I was ten and he was fourteen......no adult.....and we lived through it and have fond memories of it.

I could go on for hours...........

I'm sure we all could.

:)

I also remember........at night......before TEST PATTERN........Ol' Glory and the Star Spangled Banner playin'......

Use to be if I was up that late......I was tired!

Now, it's nothing for kids to get their days and night's mixed up with a mess of constant "entertainment" at their finger tips.

I really miss those summer nights, fallin' to sleep watchin' the Stars and Stripes flyin'.

Durn fuzzy screen........

:FlagAm:

Little bit of Mayberry'd be good right now.

I also remember after the tv went off.....Layin' on the couch fallin' asleep (it was always cooler downstairs in the summer with the windows open)to the sound of Dan Seals, Waylon and the Sweethearts of the Rodeo on the radio, staring at an old blue nightlight that my Sister couldn't sleep without........wake up a bit later to the sound of a thunderstorm rollin' in.......gettin' up and sittin' at the window with my brother.......everytime the lightning flashed you could see the gully washer goin' down the dirt road........

You said sweet memories!......now ya got me goin'! :lol:

Good luck gettin' me to stop!!!! :P

I don't think there's anything that could replace these simple memories.

I won't lie to y'all.....there's tears rollin' down my face right now!

~EE Taft~

I remember at 11 years old bicycling the 5 miles to the beach. If I wanted to go fishing, I strapped the rod and oars ACROSS my handlebars and cycled to the harbor (turning right to Green Pond harbor at the beach road, instead of left to the beach ), and rowing out to wet a line. Caught a 5 pound striper once that was great for dinner!

Now kids can't go outside without adult supervision, much less go exploring as far as their energy and bikes can take them.

eGG

(wistful for the words, "Go out and play. Just be home in time for dinner.")

My Big Wheel, cap guns, Star Wars action figures, Hot Wheels, model planes (alot of those!! - must've liked the Testors Model Glue), playing board games, Intellivision, and most of all - my surf board.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I also remember........at night......before TEST PATTERN........Ol' Glory and the Star Spangled Banner playin'......

I remember that the local station played the Elvis song "Trilogy." at the end of the broadcast day before going into the TEST PATTERN....always did like that song.

Playing "army" or cowboys and indians in the woods of Bower's Farm, which was just across the road from our home, which was "in town". We're well out of earshot of Mom so she couldn't call us home. She'd just tie a note to our dachshund, Schnapps's collar, and send him to find us. Worked every time - we never missed a message.

Five or six of us boys sitting on our side porch reading comic books. Everyone would bring their stash from home and we'd swap 'em around till we got tired and then we'd climb the maple trees that lined the street on both sides of our corner house and see who could climb high enough to see the church steeples downtown.

Going down to the end of the block to Clark's Store for penny candy or a popsicle in the summer. The store was in front and the family lived in the back. I was in Clark's Store, on my birthday, when they got a phone call from my Mom saying that Dad was coming home from the Korean War and that he had just called her from San Francisco where the troop boat had just come in. I ran all the way home so I'd be there when he called back in a few minutes to wish me a happy birthday.

Playing catch in the backyard with Mom while Dad was in Korea. She wasn't all that good, but she sure was game!

Going downtown for a haircut and the barber calling me "Sir", just like all the adult customers.

Going hunting with my Dad and his cronies. I was too young to hunt, but just old enough to tag along and (probably) be a pain in the a$$!! :D

Just like EE, I could go on and on!

What is missing now that you use to have as a youngster?

(Keep it clean guys)

Squirrel Nut Zippers

Dude.... Ya can still get 'em! :rolleyes:

Squirrel Nut Zippers ^_^

Okay.... One of the things I really miss is the Cox "U-Fly" gas-powered planes. I was astonished to discover just a few years ago ya can't get 'em any more... :(

I gave a bunch of 'em to friends and relatives kids over the years - wish I'd kept a couple for my own self.

Dude.... Ya can still get 'em! :rolleyes:

Squirrel Nut Zippers ^_^

Holy crap!

They weer two for a penny back in the day!

Several years ago my wife drug out her 1950s Sears sled. My SIL replaced all the rotten wood and I repainted the metal parts. It looks great under the Christmas tree. Since then I bought a 1950 Marx electric train like I had, we found a Betsy Wetsy doll, a neighbor gave me a toy Sew-Master sewing machine, we are restoring an original 1960s vintage Radio Flyer wagon, I have a replica Daisy Red Rider (the new ones are a POS, but it will hold a space until I can find a good original), we got a new Lincoln Logs set, I added my Rossi copy of a Winchester Model 1906.22 pump gun, I have an operational Hafner wind-up train that got some restoration work done, and we're on the prowl for more old timey toys for the tree.

I found a mid-50s Schwinn Commander, but haven't talked the lady into selling it yet. I see "bubbler" Christmas tree lights are back and might buy some of them to add to the look. I remember them on my Grandma's tree and walking across her Scottish wool carpet in our socks and making the foil icicles jump out and make sparks when you got close.

Had no money back then, just like now. So, most were handmade, sling shot from a branch, scooter from a couple of discarded 2x4's and a found skate, a barrel hoop, rocks for tossing and skipping, grass reed for a thumb whistle, and just about anything found. I like simple things, guess I just don't fit in today with all the electronic gizzmos and games.

Remember:

Dad's Rootbeer (glass gallon jug)

Fresh picked naval orange

Red Hots

Black Jack gum

Cracker Jacks

Mom's pot roast

Mac n' cheese

Beans and franks

Brown eggs from the hen house

Milk in glass bottle with cardboard cap

Train station where dad worked

My brother teasing me by throwing rocks, but backing me when I got in trouble

Spoiled sister

We had a war surplus store at th north end of town and we outfitted entire armies there for less than a buck and a half apiece. Helmet liners were a dime, US Enfield stocks were fifteen cents and a broomstick worked for a barrel. A gas mask pack was about fifteen cents and you could have a canteen and cover for two bits. A pistol belt was another dime or so.

We were a motley crew but you'll recall the Nazis never invaded northern Utah. Neither did the Japanese, Chinese, North Koreans, Martians, or the creature from the Black Lagoon. They wouldn't dare!!!

Years later...with prices way up...I bought guns, bayonets, knives, camping and hunting gear, tools, and a lot of my college wardrobe there.

Had no money back then, just like now. So, most were handmade, sling shot from a branch, scooter from a couple of discarded 2x4's and a found skate, a barrel hoop, rocks for tossing and skipping, grass reed for a thumb whistle, and just about anything found. I like simple things, guess I just don't fit in today with all the electronic gizzmos and games.

Remember:

Dad's Rootbeer (glass gallon jug)

Fresh picked naval orange

Red Hots

Black Jack gum

Cracker Jacks

Mom's pot roast

Mac n' cheese

Beans and franks

Brown eggs from the hen house

Milk in glass bottle with cardboard cap

Train station where dad worked

My brother teasing me by throwing rocks, but backing me when I got in trouble

Spoiled sister

With Mama workin' a lot of nightshere lately, it's up to Dad to do the supper thing (notice I didn't call it dinner!). The other night about 1am I put on a pot roast and all the fixins' (Taters, Carrots, celery, cabbage, onions, salt, pepper)......The boys woke up the next morning and said "Dad, what is that smell?!?!" I said, "That's supper for tonight."

The kind of pot roast that falls to pieces at the mere sight of a fork!

they said, "Dad, we want you to fix supper from now on!"... :lol: ...I told them that Grandma taught me how to cook it.....throw it on and be patient!

Yesterday's memories will never fade........and the memories of today will soon be fond!

One year for my birthday I had a party planned......my friends all came expecting pizza or some such.....I asked Mom to make Pot roast....They all laughed at me!......until they got that first bite in their mouth..... :D

~EE~

I still have my most treasured possession....just need someone that can repair and restore my first elephant gun. Well it was to me.....namely a 1954 vintage Benjamin pellet rifle.

Gato Gordo mentioned it...kids just don't have the freedom some of us had. Of all the generations I think the Boomers had their cake and ate it too!

Wow. So many memories come to mind.

Camping down in SE Kentucky, and setting up our tents, hiking "up the creek," catching crawdads and minnows. Lunch consisting of potted meat or vienna sausages with crackers. Baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked in the coals of the fire and hotdogs and hamburgers from a charcoal grill for dinner and then listening to the Grand Ole Opry on a battery operated radio while we drifted off to sleep.

Toys would be Tonka, capguns, Hot Wheels (complete with tracks), and plastic models. Of course, I still build plastic models as a hobby.

As for TV, yes, I remember getting up early for Saturday morning cartoons, and I recall a local station playing "High Flight" before the National Anthem at sign off.

Even though it says it was for KSAT, I am pretty sure this was the same one our station used:

I still have my most treasured possession....just need someone that can repair and restore my first elephant gun. Well it was to me.....namely a 1954 vintage Benjamin pellet rifle.

Gato Gordo mentioned it...kids just don't have the freedom some of us had. Of all the generations I think the Boomers had their cake and ate it too!

Wish I was a boomer. We were poor except for one thing: no one ever told us we were poor so we didn't know it.

I miss da smell of da spring rains out in da desert.

The sound of my Great Grand Father's snoring !

And my Grand Father's singin' Native songs.

I miss da smile I saw on my Father's face when I came back from war not in a body bag !

And his sausage scrambled eggs wif sausage gravy wif hole cake !

I really miss his homemade cho-o-late chip cookies !

Ifin' I close my eyes and listen hard and breath slowly, I can still smell those smells and here Father hollarin' "Come git it fer da hawgs do !"

Damn fuzzy screen........

MMMmmmm, chocolate chip cookies!

I remember riding bikes to the library with Wendy and Audra, then coming back to my house and making chocolate chip cookies, then eating half the batch while reading our books.... :)

Archived