SASS Wire Forum

question on modification rules

Widder, SASS #59054

I know that any adjustable sighted pistol cannot be used in shooting GF, like the blackhawks.

BUT, if a person took off the rear adjustable sight and made a solid steel replacement that can neither move R-L or U-D, could a pair of these be used shooting GF category?

This becomes an external mod but I'm thinkin the Rules might allow this setup to be a legal mod for shooting GF category.

A friend of mine is inquiring before he spends some money on another pistol and I just wanted to be sure before I advise him (or ill advise).

Thanks

..........Widder

Widder, the only acceptable way per the mods covenants to make a adjustable sighted gun into a fixed sighted one is to weld and reshape the top strap to a colt/vaquero profile.

Page 7 shooters Handbook

FRAMES AND RECEIVERS

• Frames and receivers may be drilled and tapped (e.g., to accept approved type sights).

• Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, recontouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames. The reconfigured frame must be mated with a conventional Ruger Vaquero type barrel, hammer, and the original grip frame assembly in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

Widder, the only acceptable way per the mods covenants to make a adjustable sighted gun into a fixed sighted one is to weld and reshape the top strap to a colt/vaquero profile.

Page 7 shooters Handbook

FRAMES AND RECEIVERS

• Frames and receivers may be drilled and tapped (e.g., to accept approved type sights).

• Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, recontouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames. The reconfigured frame must be mated with a conventional Ruger Vaquero type barrel, hammer, and the original grip frame assembly in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

Thanks Deuce. You probably just saved my friend a few 000 of money.

..........Widder

I know that any adjustable sighted pistol cannot be used in shooting GF, like the blackhawks.

BUT, if a person took off the rear adjustable sight and made a solid steel replacement that can neither move R-L or U-D, could a pair of these be used shooting GF category?

This becomes an external mod but I'm thinkin the Rules might allow this setup to be a legal mod for shooting GF category.

A friend of mine is inquiring before he spends some money on another pistol and I just wanted to be sure before I advise him (or ill advise).

Thanks

..........Widder

Does Senior Gunfighter not count as a age-based category allowing adjustable sights? The rulebook is a little confusing to me on this.

Thanks

Randy

Thanks Deuce. You probably just saved my friend a few 000 of money.

..........Widder

Widder,

If I understand it, the new model Vaq's have the same grip frame as the old Three-screws so I don't know why someone would ruin a pair of three screws. Now, if the Blackhawks are the bigger models, then why no just go with the Old model Vaq's? I am not sure what we were trying to accomplish.

Does Senior Gunfighter not count as a age-based category allowing adjustable sights? The rulebook is a little confusing to me on this.

Thanks

Randy

You would have to ask at the clubs that offer Senior Gunfighter as it is not an official SASS category.

Fillmore

Thanks

Randy

Please see post #'s 17 & 19 on THIS THREAD

Widder,

If I understand it, the new model Vaq's have the same grip frame as the old Three-screws so I don't know why someone would ruin a pair of three screws. Now, if the Blackhawks are the bigger models, then why no just go with the Old model Vaq's? I am not sure what we were trying to accomplish.

Howdy Dan.

my friend (really, it ain't me) has a NEW stainless superblackhawk in .44 mag with (believe it or not) Sheriff model barrels of 3.5" WITH Bisley grips/hammer. He has found its twin and is considering buying it IF he can use them in GF.

RANDY: he is far from being a senior.

Thanks all

..........Widder

Howdy Dan.

my friend (really, it ain't me) has a NEW stainless superblackhawk in .44 mag with (believe it or not) Sheriff model barrels of 3.5" WITH Bisley grips/hammer.

Thanks all

..........Widder

Ok, nevermind. "Wow" is all I can say. Wouldn't 2" barrels be even better?

Page 7 shooters Handbook

FRAMES AND RECEIVERS

Back before my time in the early days of SASS, I understand that turning a Blackhawk into an acceptable fixed site gun was fairly common. They called them Cougars. Colt/Ruger Since Ruger came out with the Vaquero, the practice has not been necessary.

It is prohibitively expensive. I have a Ruger that says New Model Blackhawk on the frame but looks just like a Vaquero with a half a silver dime for a front sight. It came that way to me in a trade. Great gun but I am sure glad I'm not the one who paid to have it done. Think about it. It would cost a pretty penny to have a smith weld it up and smooth it back down to shape and change out the front sight.

Howdy Dan.

my friend (really, it ain't me) has a NEW stainless superblackhawk in .44 mag with (believe it or not) Sheriff model barrels of 3.5" WITH Bisley grips/hammer. He has found its twin and is considering buying it IF he can use them in GF.

Thanks all

..........Widder

They might be a special run my local ffl had two but one sold the first day he had it

Does anybdy know who would do that conversion on a Ruger Old Army? I have one that I would like to shoot in Frontiersman, but it has adj. sIghts.

You could probably buy one of the fixed-sight Old Armies for less than the cost of the conversion. If not , my guessing is way off.

Good luck , Rex :D

Back before my time in the early days of SASS, I understand that turning a Blackhawk into an acceptable fixed site gun was fairly common. They called them Cougars. Colt/Ruger Since Ruger came out with the Vaquero, the practice has not been necessary.

Cruger.....I believe......Cougars are a beast of a different nature ;)

Stan

Howdy Dan.

Thanks all

..........Widder

Sorry Widder, I thought you were talking about you shooting them.

Randy

OK I get that Gunfighters can't use adjustable sighted guns but I'm unclear on this, can a B Western shooter shoot adjustable sighted guns as a Gunfighter?

YES.

"B" Western shooters may shoot GF-STYLE using main match revolver(s) with either adjustable or fixed sights.

“B” WESTERN

• Any main match revolver.

• Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters’ discretion.

SHB p.15

Archived