SASS Wire Forum

Recommended WW2 Book The First Heroes

What a great book, highly recommend to any WW2 History buffs. Its the true story of Doolittles Raiders, also events and history of how bad the U.S. was prepared for war. U.S. ranked 17th in military power in 1940. Even behind Blegium, Netherland, Switzerland, Portugal,and even Sweden.

A B-25 needed a speed of 105-110 MPH for takeoff, they did it in 50MPH short, heaving deck of a carrier with sometimes inches to spare to miss the island. How the B-25 was untested, and problems that occurred just in training. How they practiced everything down to the wire, except one thing, which led to many dying, and injuries to many.

Even James Bradley recommends this book, along with many interviews of the crewman alive when book was first conceived.

I again recommend this book, I finished it in 2 days. MT

And for a cool movie, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo.

Some things that I didn't know and found out. Doolittle was not the first pilot to take off the carrier Hornet. In fact 2 other planes and pilots took off the Hornet prior to the raid to see if it could be accomplished. The Japanese intercepted a Halsey message and were aware that a carrier and ships were headed to Japan and were making plans to intercept. The President, who wanted a plan put forward to re-taliate for Hawaii sneak attack, and put hope into the nation, was even not told of this plan till underway. It was probable the most secretive mission of WW2, only a handfull of people were aware, and not till underway were the Hornet crew told.

That there was also a 2nd plan involving Chenault and land based bombers in China that would carry out if the Doolittle failed.

Once you start reading, you can't stop. MT

Archived