SASS Wire Forum

Food at work tonight

Subdeacon Joe

Last week we started having kind of informal potlucks at work on Tuesdays. I said that when the weather turned cool I'd bring in a pot of this and, well, it's cool and damp. So I have my 6 qt. slow cooker filled almost to the brim with it. Added some chopped up corn tortillas to thicken it a bit.

Could you explain something to me?

The recipe you posted calls for >3 lbs pork shoulder (preferably with bone), cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes (can also use pork shanks), make sure to use a cut well marbled with fat<

Why "preferably with bone"? Obviously, if you are cutting it into 1 1/2" cubes you are taking it OFF the bone. I didn't see anything about using the bone in the soup, like for stock.

So, why the bone?

Could you explain something to me?

The recipe you posted calls for >3 lbs pork shoulder (preferably with bone), cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes (can also use pork shanks), make sure to use a cut well marbled with fat<

Why "preferably with bone"? Obviously, if you are cutting it into 1 1/2" cubes you are taking it OFF the bone. I didn't see anything about using the bone in the soup, like for stock.

So, why the bone?

Tossing the bone into the pot adds flavor and richness to it, Alpo. Just like if you have loin cut pork chop, it always tastes better if it is on the bone rather than if you cut a "chop" out of a boned out pork loin. Good broth is always made from bones clean of meat. Best if you can roast them first, too.

Well, the guys like it. A lot. Two of them asked if there was anything they could pick up, so I had them get some tomatoes, red onion, and green onion for garnish. I already had some white onions and limes.

Looks like tonight we'll be having pulled pork sandwiches. One of 'em started a pork shoulder in a slow cooker yesterday morning, but it wasn't ready for last night. So we get it tonight.

Archived