SASS Wire Forum

Cowboys, How did they talk back then?

One of the classic quotes I have read about showing the difference between use of the English language in the Eastern and Western United Sates was by Teddy Roosevelt when he was ranching out West. When he wanted his men to hurry up and help him he was quoted as saying "Hasten forth quickly."

I think they talked like Festus Hagen in "Gunsmoke"....

You Ole' Skudder, Ah think you'se rhaaaat. Le's go out'n find us some Icy Creemey....

There are many sources that use real letters and diaries written in the 1860s

Time Life books has a series on the various battles of the Civi War which includes letters, etc. written by a variety of people during that time

There is a cheaper easier way with an IPAD App that traces the day to day events of the Civil War

It includes the actual diaries written by soldiers, civilians and politicians on a daily basis

ah dun no whut ju tawkin bout, ah talks gud merican tawk.

durn fool to not take his words to be truth, so yea, what he said!

Gabby Johnson: I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Olson Johnson: [after Gabby Johnson's speech] Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Thanks Possum, I was waiting for that ;)

I am from the West Coast and apparently influence from my Grannie, raised on a farm in Iowa influenced the way I talk. Wonnerful Hubby was raised in NYC and never heard some of the expressions I use all the time. He also makes fun of the way I pronounce a few words. That's with radio and TV being common, he still never heard any of them.

If you read Owen Wister's book "The Virginian". It shows that cowboys came from all over the country... Virginia, Massacusetts, Indiana, are just a few of the states characters in the book originally hailed from. I suspect folks talked a lot like they did back "home".

I really have to second this answer. Except for the Indians pretty much everybody came from somewhere else, so it makes sense you would hear a variety of dialects and education. I live in Colorado and everybody I meet sounds exactly like where they came from. That said, Colorado natives do sound a bit more "western" than the rest of us, kinda like a well-educated TV cowboy, if you get my drift. And regardless of your education you are going to sound a lot like your parents. If Festus was your dad, well...

Archived