SASS Wire Forum

Baikal vs Stoeger Shotguns

Brooklyn Slim

I have two single trigger Stoegers and they work great! My wife and I have not had any problems with either one of them. At our local club it is either Stoegers or 97's. One cowboy had a older Baikal and had some problems with it. It would not open very wide, just enough to pluck the empties out. I dont know if this is common with all the Baikals or if the new one are any better. I myself have not tried the Baikals. I do agree with one of the other threads you can over gunsmith a gun.

No experience with Stogers but I do love my Bakial. Have used it for maybe fourteen years now. What a neat little howitzer with black powder loads! :)

Started the wife with a Stoeger, it's gone and a Baikal replaced it.

What I was told is that the old Stoeger's are fine. The newer ones are built with a softer metal.

The good thing is the Baikal is cheaper tghan the Stoeger.

That's my thoughts,

Barry Sloe

If you are the middle of the pack shooter or slower either one will do just fine. But, if you run them hard the Baikal has a better track record for holding up over the long haul.

If you must have a single trigger SXS stay away from both and buy the SKB or Browning and hope you get a good one Even those two have been known to double of FTF one barrel.

If you are shooting any of these stock out-of-the-box your opinion doesn't add much to this topic. The only out-of-the-box SXS that even comes close to what we need for this game is the TTN/Cimarron 1878 hammer gun. Cut the horns off and go play.

I have two Baikals I purchased new from Bud's. I gave $240 for the first and $260 for the second one, so $500 total. I cut the stocks and added recoil pads, replaced the front sights with larger white ones, and slicked them up myself for a total of an additional $70 or so. They are both great shotguns and do what they are intended to do as long as I do my part. They are not very attractive, but the way they get thrown around that seems like a good thing to me. If they were pretty I wouldn't want to use them the way they should be used.

I started with a Stoeger that wouldn't shoot the right barrel to point of aim. Also had improved/modified fixed chokes. Combine the tight choke and the point of aim problem and it equalled lots of pick ups on the knock downs.

Last August I bought a Baikal from Gunslinger. He doesn't switch the triggers but he adjusts them so they line up one behind the other for a really quick second shot. Also the Baikal has a cylinder bore choke and BOTH barrels shoot to point of aim. I've even tried the SKB and still prefer the Baikal. It just works!

Well lets see now about the Baikals being bult like a Tank

First thing that broke on mine was the bottom rib came loose. Gun falls apart when that happens. Real embarrassing at a match. No problem drilled and taped the top rib to install some counter sunk 6-32 screws. No JB Weld does not work. Well next the stock broke at the receiver. No problem. Some epoxy and wood dowels fixed that. Next thing to come apart was the barrels at the muzzle. No problem a few wraps of .020 aircraft safety wire and a little JB Weld fixed that. I still shoot that POS and Pards ask what happened to your SxS I just tell them the tracks came off my tank :( .

Yea I did have the lug welded up on my Stoeger

I'm not a middle of the pack shooter so both get run hard :):)

Pard, I got a Baikal custom tuned and ready to go from Johnny Meadows. One of the nicest shotguns I've ever shot and it is fast! I shoot BP (GOEX) in it with 0 problems. His price is right and the work is fantastic.

Geesh... It's goin' again.. :unsure:

I started with a Stoeger about 9 years ago... gave it to my wife about 8 years ago.. she's still shootin' it.. not hard tho..

I got to buy another SxS.. I got another Stoeger.. I'm still shootin it.. I shoot 'em a lot harder.. :(

They are both double triggers...

From many past posts on the wire "Stoegers are not a good shotgun to rely on"

I thought...

Better get me a back up SxS.. :blush:

Bought another double trigger Stoeger.. shot about 8 rounds through it..

Still sittin' in the guncabinet... haven't done a complete slick up to it yet like I did our other 2.. probably should..

Never know when I'll need it...

I'm very sure the other SxS's are equally as good.. ain't gonna knock them..

But I'm happy with my Stoegers..

Only thing I do worry a little about...

I've still got the original firing pins in both of 'em..

Probably ought'a replace them...

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. another dead horse ressurected.. :wacko:

Shoot what ya like :)

ME THINKS JOHN WAYNE PREFERRED A STOEGER OVER THE BAIKAL...... :huh:

Happy trails :D

I have no experience with Stoegers, but I've been shooting the same Baikal for 13 years, and it's all I ever shoot. Never a glitch or an issue, except had to tighten the stock screw once. I bought another one several years ago for backup, shot it at one match, and put it in the safe, so it's ready to go "just in case."

So I have given some thought to a new Stoeger SxS but now after reading this post I'm going to have to look into a Baikal. Actually I think I want the Baikal now that I've read this and haven't even fondled one yet. Dang it man, decisions.

First shotgun I bought was a box-stock Baikal. I put in Papa Dave's cocking levers, polished the chambers & it shot like a champ. Sold it, bought a TTN hammer gun, then decided to get another hammerless gun. I found a Stoeger Supreme 2-trigger gun that had been worked over - nice gun, slick, but it's not as good a gun as the Baikal that I sold.

Having had both, if I was going to buy another, it wouldn't be a Stoeger.

Holler

ME THINKS JOHN WAYNE PREFERRED A STOEGER OVER THE BAIKAL...... :huh:

Happy trails :D

I think he preferred a Greener, but they are slow to load and a little heavier.

"Fetch me my Greener"

Good luck, GJ

Archived