SASS Wire Forum

We got snow in the Sierra!

Subdeacon Joe

L@@Ks like winter, Joe. We have been flirting with snow in the Cascades for the last couple of days. Cold front from Alaska moved in on us. But I doubt that we will get the accumulation that you folks in the Sierra's get.

I do expect a bit of snowfall this year in the local environs, however. :unsure:

Yeah, same storm, been watching it move in.

I'm hoping for a hard winter, Badger. I remember seeing a photo from in January of one of the teams out to measure the snow pack, about a dozen people with the tubes for coring out samples, gathered around a patch of snow in the shade of trees, couldn't have been over an inch deep. And it should have been several feet there.

Those snow packs can be worrisome at times. Especially when you realize that is what you will be drinking in August.

I recall a trip that my wife and I made to Palm Springs for a winter vacation. On the plane ride back we flew over the Sierras and you could see the deep snow below. I would guess that we were probably no more than three thousand feet above the tree tops. You could see them quite clearly.

The Cascades do not usually get that much and the melt seem to be slower. Perhaps because of the climate and location further north.

Lookin' good! As Badger MC says, we've had a bit this last weekend in the Cascades, too.

I'm a fanatic Nordic skier and I always have my fingers crossed for an early and long season. I go out every weekend as soon as there is enough snow.

I've skied twice over the years at Royal Gorge, right there at Soda Springs. One of the trips I stayed at Rainbow Lodge; a great place.

:lol: I wish you all the snow and fun you can handle, Red. Just keep it in the mountains.

That serves me in two way. I get water to drink in the HOT ? summer and I get water in the rivers for some fly fishing. A real win win for me.

After hearing about 17 semi's getting stuck trying to get over Donner, I'm even more glad to not be driving OTR anymore!:lol:

You an me both Clay !

Devil's Postpile sounds like some place I would want to go for a vacation.

I don't care if it is a National Monument. Now the folks over in New Mexico

got it right. Angel Fire is a nice place.......in summer. :rolleyes:

Archived