SASS Wire Forum

97 disassembly?

Alpo

I was watching a youtube video about how to disassemble a 97. Is it really that simmple, or did they leave something out?

Hammer all the way down. Push the little pin out, in the magazine tube cap. Grab barrel/forearm/magazine tube assembly and turn a quarter turn counterclockwise, just like you were unscrewing a bottle cap.

Take barrel/forearm/magazine tube assembly off of receiver.

That's it? Really?

I've never taken mine apart. But still - that's it???? A quarter-turn and it comes off????

Even a cave man could do it! Just remember, after you push the little pin, rotate the magazine tube using the little pin as a lever, then you have to push the action slide forward to get the magazine tube out of the receiver, then do the 1/4 of rotation of the magazine, forearm and barrel.

Blackfoot :)

If everything is put together right, it should come apart slicker than Gorilla snot on a glass doorknob. I have see some where the mag tube was put on 180 degrees out and then forced into the receiver. They have interrupted threads that only line up if everything is right. The mag tube will have a little piece of metal that's screwed on with 2 tiny screws or a louver pushed up from inside the mag tube, that should be under the barrel when it's in the right position. If it's on the bottom of the gun when installed, it's on backwards....change it.

Jake

Even a cave man could do it! Just remember, after you push the little pin, rotate the magazine tube using the little pin as a lever, then you have to push the action slide forward to get the magazine tube out of the receiver, then do the 1/4 of rotation of the magazine, forearm and barrel.

Blackfoot :)

Aaaaahhh. That didn't show in the video. I wondered why you had to push the pin, if you turned the whole thing.

So, you push the pin and then using the pin, rotate the magazine? Until it won't go any more, or how far?

Then once you've rotated the magazine tube, it is unlocked from the receiver, so you push the pump handle forward, which pulls the magazine tube out of the receiver?

Then, holding the barrel/mag tube/forearm, turn the entire assembly, which unscrews the barre from the receiver?

Then, to reassemble.

The barrel has interrupted threads? You put the barrel back, with the magazine at 90 degrees, then rotate the assembly to lock the barrel back?

Then push the mag back into the receiver, and using the little pin, turn the magazine tube to lock it in?

Then, to reassemble.

The barrel has interrupted threads? You put the barrel back, with the magazine at 90 degrees, then rotate the assembly to lock the barrel back?

Then push the mag back into the receiver, and using the little pin, turn the magazine tube to lock it in?

You learn so fast Grasshopper. Try it, you'll like it. Next, we'll teach you how to tighten the collar to take up any slop in barrel head space.

Jake

Archived