SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Rule Change

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL sorry dang spell checker :blush:

Don't blame the Spell checker -- it doesn't help if your word is spelled right in the first place. But in this case, even a grammar checker wouldn't help. Need some sort of editor software that can read your mind and pick the right word.

EDIT

Never mind. I hadn't read the whole thread before posting, so I didn't know many pards had already expressed what I wanted to say better than I could. I've gotta remember not to be in such a hurry to post something.

Henry, just bustin' yer chops. :blush: Look at the mods allowed for Rugers also; lowered hammers, different grip angles, modified sight profiles. As they say, that horse is already outta the barn. As with some other things.

Nothing to be sorry for. I was doing the same thing with my comments on all the mods, just poking a little at those who hate Rugers because they aren’t Colts. The Italian clones aren’t Colts either. Nothing better than a good clean spirited debate without name calling

Just to be clear, I do not hate the Ruger. Nor do I think it should be banned or "banished" to some sort of recreated Modern category.

I just really don't care for people saying that the 97 should be so banned or banished. I don't understand their logic. The 97 IS an example of a gun "of the era" that our game is based on. Yes, the tail end of the era, but it is authentic. Those who have a hatred for the gun to the point that they wanna see it eliminated or sidelined just don't make any sense to me.

On the other hand, you have two guns, the Ruger and the Henry Big Boy that are NOT guns of the era, but they ARE made in a way that is evocotive of other guns that were made in the era. The Ruger is the same type of a gun as the Colt, and the Henry Big Boy has a lot in common with the Marlin. I know of nobody who thinks that the Ruger should be dissallowed, and in spite of some very real detractors, I have not seen any real calls to elimate the Henry Big Boy from our game.

And yet, whenever the topic of changing the way the 97 is used comes up, there are the inevitable calls for its elimination.

If you don't wanna use a 97, or don't like it, nobody is forceing you to buy one. But for those of us who DO like the 97, please stop telling us that we should not be allowed to use our shotgun of choice.

And if we wanna occasionally talk about how we should be allowed to fully load the magazine on the clock so we can use the gun the way it was made, then let us talk about it, and argue for or against the practice on the merits or lack thereof.

The change is probably never gonna happen anyway, so what's the harm in letting 97 users, (or for that matter 87 users) comment about how they'd like to stoke their magazines from time to time?

Prior to the 1969 release of the film The Wild Bunch, were any pump shotguns featured in any western movies or TV series? None?

Anyone?

Bueller?

What would John Wayne say?

He'd say they ain't cowboy guns.

Prior to the 1969 release of the film The Wild Bunch, were any pump shotguns featured in any western movies or TV series? None?

Anyone?

Bueller?

The Professionals.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The Professionals.

But that movie was about the Mexican Revolution that started in 1910, after the SASS time period and during the 20th Century Wild Bunch era.

:lol:

Col. Mortimer carried a Colt pump carbine in "For a Few Dollars More" in 1965. (OK, it's not a shotgun, but it is a pump).

He also wore a modern shirt and necktie, and I don't know what timeframe this movie tried to represent, but Col. Mortimer's shotgun was SxS. I like checking IMFDB. :) :)

Colt Lightning rifles were around in the 1880's, before those newfangled trombone shotgun contraptions were invented.

I don't really want to ban '97s, someday I'll join the turn of the century rough riders with their horseless carraiges and bolt action rifles and flying machines. :D

He also wore a modern shirt and necktie, and I don't know what timeframe this movie tried to represent, but Col. Mortimer's shotgun was SxS. I like checking IMFDB. :) :)

Colt Lightning rifles were around in the 1880's, before those newfangled trombone shotgun contraptions were invented.

I don't really want to ban '97s, someday I'll join the turn of the century rough riders with their horseless carraiges and bolt action rifles and flying machines. :D

The Spencer pump was available from 1882 on. The Burgess pump debuted in 1893 (I can't think of a movie using either, so I didn't mention them).

But that movie was about the Mexican Revolution that started in 1910, after the SASS time period and during the 20th Century Wild Bunch era.

:lol:

Well sir - you asked "Prior to the 1969 release of the film The Wild Bunch, were any pump shotguns featured in any western movies or TV series? None?"

The Professionals, deemed a western in movie genre, qualifies correctly in regards to your inquiry...;) Thus - your answer...

Well sir - you asked "Prior to the 1969 release of the film The Wild Bunch, were any pump shotguns featured in any western movies or TV series? None?"

The Professionals, deemed a western in movie genre, qualifies correctly in regards to your inquiry...;) Thus - your answer...

Well,,,,in another 20th century western made in 1968, a hitman shoots a '97 at Bullitt from a Charger, and it really was out west in San Francisco,,,,,,but it sure ain't cowboy. :lol:

Well,,,,in another 20th century western made in 1968, a hitman shoots a '97 at Bullitt from a Charger, and it really was out west in San Francisco,,,,,,but it sure ain't cowboy. :lol:

This game/sport...whatever...is not based on movies. So who in the hell cares if a 97 was used in one???

:FlagAm:

Why change the rule? If it is slower to stoke the 97 on the clock, then you (the people for stoking) are not worried about their time. Right? Then no rule change or stage writing change needed. Take the penalty and move on, you still have fun. I don't understand why some want to change this and change that, then say I just want to have fun.

Better yet, when you decide you want to do something outside the rules, just tell the score keeper to not record your scores for the match. After all it is just for fun and something to do every now and then.

Regards,

Blue Wolf

This game/sport...whatever...is not based on movies. So who in the hell cares if a 97 was used in one???

Well the "fantasy" certainly is no longer based on history -- so what the heck is it based on?

Well the "fantasy" certainly is no longer based on history -- so what the heck is it based on?

It IS based on history...movies...whatever.

You just like to whine about not being competitive cuz you have some weird thing against short stokes.

Geeze...do you whine and cry about a lot of things...or just this issue???

:wacko: (Wanted to put a "Crying" emoticon...but they don't offer one here.

It IS based on history...movies...whatever.

You just like to whine about not being competitive cuz you have some weird thing against short stokes.

Geeze...do you whine and cry about a lot of things...or just this issue???

:wacko: (Wanted to put a "Crying" emoticon...but they don't offer one here.

Now wait a minute. Here above you said it WAS NOT based on movies. In the past, you've said it wasn't based on history. I'm asking a question having nothing to do with short strokes. We engage in a "fantasy" sport. I believe I can show you some SASS documentation saying the fantasy in question has to do with silver screen heroes, in short, movies. You're saying here it isn't based on movies. You've said in the past it isn't based on history. I may "whine" but at least I'm logically consistent. "Whatever" is neither a movie nor historical perspective of which I'm aware (there isn't a "moron" icon, either).

Now wait a minute. Here above you said it WAS NOT based on movies. In the past, you've said it wasn't based on history. I'm asking a question having nothing to do with short strokes. We engage in a "fantasy" sport. I believe I can show you some SASS documentation saying the fantasy in question has to do with silver screen heroes, in short, movies. You're saying here it isn't based on movies. You've said in the past it isn't based on history. I may "whine" but at least I'm logically consistent. "Whatever" is neither a movie nor historical perspective of which I'm aware (there isn't a "moron" icon, either).

Heeheehee...Let's match intellect...it'd be fun!

SASS isn't based on History...

SASS isn't based on B-Westerns...or Westerns...Dime Store novels...you name it.

SASS is a mixture of all. You usually like to reference one as though IT is the foundation of SASS.

Phantom

PS: You need to shoot more...

SASS isn't based on History...

SASS isn't based on B-Westerns...or Westerns...Dime Store novels...you name it.

SASS is a mixture of all. You usually like to reference one as though IT is the foundation of SASS.

Phantom

PS: You need to shoot more...

SASS is based on a few old guys tired of the equipment race in IPSC startin' a new one with SAAs and leverguns; but mostly just wantin' a good time shootin'!

Yeah, I need to shoot more!

Actually, it didn't start out that way, but is the result of unintended consequences! 1st, it was no modifications; and broken guns due to HARD use. Then it became, "what we can't see, we can't call." And then someone short-stroked a rifle... and it became so flagrant a rule was needed. Now, 30 plus years later, many that used to play don't recognize the game or the modifications allowed. Whereas there used to be 650fps minimum, now it's 400, And the 60 power factor? I'm STILL laughin'. Yes, there's a few excuses for some of the changes, some're good ones. My wife sstruggled to reach the hammer on her Ruger BH also. I bought her a Colt clone. EOP; (end of problem); no whinin' or cryin' for a rule change, Gettin' Ladies Traditional as a separate category... it was a matter of pointing out the numbers, no whinin' or knashing of teeth.

It took 7 YEARS for the 1st "Traditional" shooter to win the Overall title @ EOT. But it wasn't due to a rule change... Nope, just a Modern shooter gave up trying to win using cap & ball revolvers, and as I recall, he wasn't THAT far off.

But seriously, you want the "load 2-shoot 2" rule to change. Here's my suggestion: Get YOUR club to recognize a new category, call it "stokers", Get others in your club to shoot it with you; each of you shooting under SASS rules in your usual category, then a 2nd time on each stage as a "Stoker". Keep close records for all of you for a year. Then, write up an article for the Chronicle with the results showing that "stoking" under the clock is no advantage and call for a rule change. Talk it up at other local, state & regional clubs, Get other interested shootesa to help show the rest of us that you're right.

I'll guarantee you 2 results. 1- if you put honest effort into the study, shooting your VERY best under each "rule", you'll know the truth of your assertion. 2- you'll be a better shooter!

Why change the rule? If it is slower to stoke the 97 on the clock, then you (the people for stoking) are not worried about their time. Right? Then no rule change or stage writing change needed. Take the penalty and move on, you still have fun. I don't understand why some want to change this and change that, then say I just want to have fun.

Better yet, when you decide you want to do something outside the rules, just tell the score keeper to not record your scores for the match. After all it is just for fun and something to do every now and then.

Regards,

Blue Wolf

Exactly.....the best thing I ever saw was T-bone do a pistol run pulling both triggers at the same time and ran it in under 2 seconds......”back then” you earned a P for that but not too sure these days…….but anyway he didn't care....it was fun and he wanted to do it. I will never forget it....thanks for the memoires T-Bone.

Exactly.....the best thing I ever saw was T-bone do a pistol run pulling both triggers at the same time and ran it in under 2 seconds......”back then” you earned a P for that but not too sure these days…….but anyway he didn't care....it was fun and he wanted to do it. I will never forget it....thanks for the memoires T-Bone.

Hi Junky,

PaleWolf recently set us straight on "intentionally" shooting in a manner that is against the rules; it is a SOG penalty. From page 25 of the ROI, a simple P is for "Any unintentional procedural errors caused by ―brain fade, confusion, ignorance, or mistakes (not to exceed one for any given stage)."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Anyone?

Bueller?

Try 100 Rifles, with Raquel Welch, Jim Brown and that Burt guy. The scene where Raquel is washing under the water tower. She uses a Winchester M97 when she starts the shooting. You guys were looking at her gun during the movie, weren't you?

Archived