SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Rule Change

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

Bro King: they probably got you on their 'ignore' list..... :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure that I'm on a few list myself. ^_^

..........Widder

Me too - usuallly the one's who put folks on the ignore list are the one's who want to dish it out but can't take it in return....kinda the whiners bunch.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whinin', short version, for editors and other spellin' gurus; whinnin' for ddrraawwwiinngg out the word to emphasize the act. All the complainin' could be described as "whinnyin'", but that wouldn't convey my distain... "brayin'" would be more appropriate. Same Genus, different Species. Jst as n txtng, spllng rls r sspnded n frms, xcpt whn th mnngs nt clr. svs bts y'knw? Ny Qstns?

SR, next time, blame a sticky keyboard... we can do our own jumping to conclusions as to what causes that! In my case, it bounces around and I don't always catch the doublin' of some letters when I do that quick proofreadin' thing!

Proofreading is always good. All should do it especially those who never do and leave out a key word thus reversing the meaning they intended. One of the most commonly omitted meaning-reversing words is "not". By leaving out a word, the reader is left to mind read the intended meaning. Not good. Proofreading would catch the omission but I guess too many are too busy to take the little time required.

Phantom, your name-calling only reflects on you and vindicates me. I am not about keerect spelling OR understanding. For the umpteenth plus time I am about communication. I understand ye are still swole because you couldn't spell oops and me pointing it out put me on your pick on list. Oh well. Sticks and stones. You calling a decorated American combat vet any kind of a Nazi reflects on you bud. But I fought for you to have that right. Carry on. While ye are busy being swole, one more time: there is no "a" in consistent. But since I don't care about speeling, carry on "consistant" communicates just as well.

Uh no, one more time Griffster: whinnying is the sound a horse makes. It won't do for whining. Neither will whinning. Nor, as you pointed out will winning. Winning communicates not at all for whining. Even tho it is acorrectly spelled word, it makes the reader go "huh?" and wonder what the writer means. The meaning of the word winning is nothing like that for whining. The reader should not have to wonder what the writer intended to say.

Of course I used to shinny up trees and hunt birds in shinnery oak thickets. But the point is shinny works not at all for shiny. Makes the reader go "huh?". Shiney works but shinny just does not. Doesn't sound the same when you read it in your mind and doesn't mean anything like the intended meaning. Almost as common as the unnecessary doubling of consonants is the droppin of an essential letter. Groves is a correctly spelled word but works not at all for grooves. Doesn't sound the same in the mind and means something entirely different. Not as common as loose for lose but you see it almost every day here.

I am against anything that makes me pause and wonder "huh?", what is the poster trying to say. Consistant works, shinny and winning (when shiny and whining are intended) do not. As cowboys we cannot be expected to speel gud. Nobody cares, even me (in spite of a certain ethereal presence continually insisting otherwise) and creative speeling is to be encouraged. But effective communication requires a modicum of getting it right enuff to be understood by the least literate amongst us when they read it. And not having to scratch their noggins goin' "huh?".

BUT it does and should behoove us to TRY to be communicative to the best of our ability so the reader does not have to wonder what is meant.

And proofread.

Always.

See, here's the thing: I have a serious affliction and I am seriously afflicted. It is the overwhelming irresistible most-times-cannot-be-risen-above-and-the-tongue-bitten NEED to correct others. Tho it is an affliction it engenders no sympathy for the afflicted. None. Instead of gratitude it most times results only in umbrage and rancor from the person(s) being corrected. Go figger. If it were me I would be grateful for being lined out and give thanks. But that's me and not the basic human response which in my experience is to get huffy or even mad and take umbrage and even lash out at the person trying to help and call them Nazis and such. Oh well. So it goes.

Just like in this instance when a poster used "winning" when he meant whining. I was able to bite my tongue but Griff wasn't. He and others are similarly afflicted albeit to a much lesser extent with "corrective-itis". What made it funny and forced me to chime in is ole Griff bungled the correcting. I thot that was just too funny. If it bothered me to be called a Nazi at all I would have continued to bite my tongue. But the opportunity to gig ole Griff was just too ripe and rich.

Griff is real good at corrective-ising. He always gets away with it and everyone carries on with good humor. I envy him that. I cannot seem to pull it off without knotting knickers drat and dang it. The absolute master of correctivating is ole Utah Bob. He has a special way of doing it with aplomb and humor that I can only hope to aspire to a small measure of.

So that's the story. I have had this affliction all my life and I will die with it. Born a wise@$$ gonna die a smart@$$. It is what it is. In the army they called me the Professor. If you personally become a target of my attempts to help you get it right please realize that THAT is what I am trying to do -- to help, you and everyone else. I am not intending to belittle or cast you as ignorant or illiterate, just trying to grease the wheels of understanding a little. So please don't take it personal or get indignant or lord forbid irate. No need to even get the feathers the least ruffled. I am just succumbing to the infernal internal irresistible affliction. The only afffliction I know of that tends to make others tend to resent and even hate the afflicted.

No really big deal for me. We all have our cross to bear. I just hate it if it causes anyone else any consternation. Forgive me I beg you and let it roll off like water off'n a duck's back. Please. And I will keep biting the ole tongue as hard and often as I possibly can.

But there are some things I have to chime in on every time. Calvary for Cavalry. The Battle Flag being called The Stars and Bars. A few others that just cannot be let go by or ignored... I would ask for everyone's forbearance in advance.

Anyway, regardless of mertis or lack thereof of the idea, and even setting aside our personal preferences in the area, does anyone actually think that the rule ever will be changed to allow for on the clock stokeing?

I don't think the change will ever happen. (And I am in favor of it)

Did anyone read all that?

Nope.

To long winded for me.

I am not a good speller. I know it. Don't need to be told about it.

And really don't know how the spell check works on this thing either.

If someone does not like how I try and spell something. DON'T READ IT. MOVE ON.

I am not in school and you are not my teacher.

Is Lone Dog the guy who tried to pay compliment to a woman by telling her "You don't sweat much for a fat girl"?

Life got easier when I discovered that most folks don't want to have someone correct them unless it's a classroom situation.

CR

Amazing the last 26 messages have not even touched upon the original post.

Not even a mention of the 97.

Actually, post # 115 did:I

I don't think the change will ever happen. (And I am in favor of it)
Although no, he didn't specifically mention the '97. Does that make it an 'unmentionable'?

Sorry to be so long winded pards. Just trying to explain the pedant's point of view. And failing mizzably I guess...

Al you spell fine. (...if ye cud jest realize that there is such a word as their and they're...HAR!). You communicate quite well. Especially for a horse shoer and fine projectile maker. I especially like the way you write in half sentences. Very expressive. And I know I and I am sure all here enjoy your posts and your no-bs blunt way of cutting to the quick and telling it like it is. So don't be defensive about yer style, it's fine. Better'n mine.

The rule needs to go away. Only Deuce and maybe a handful of others could make stoking on the clock pay off. It would only slow me and most of the rest of us down, way down. Will it ever go away?

Not likely...

Phantom, your name-calling only reflects on you and vindicates me. I am not about keerect spelling OR understanding. For the umpteenth plus time I am about communication. I understand ye are still swole because you couldn't spell oops and me pointing it out put me on your pick on list. Oh well. Sticks and stones. You calling a decorated American combat vet any kind of a Nazi reflects on you bud. But I fought for you to have that right. Carry on. While ye are busy being swole, one more time: there is no "a" in consistent. But since I don't care about speeling, carry on "consistant" communicates just as well.

Actually, you have very poor communicative skills. Your "Correcting" me on my spelling error was nothing short of weird...and that lead me to understand you're an ill person.

And just because you served...doesn't exclude you from being called a Spelling Nazi. Now perhaps if you served in WWII...I'd appologize.

It's one thing to be helpful...you are not. You are "In your face" about simple errors.

:FlagAm:

I have proven over and over in spite of your continual insistence sir that I do not care one whit about small errors or misspellings. That is your perception and just because you re-iterate it over and over does not make it so. None of us has that power. To speak it so. I have admitted to a failing and tried to explain it in too great a detail for everyone here above. It's a minor thing akin to OCD. Nothing grievous. And certainly not an illness.

I am no more ill than you always lashing out at folks and belittling them. Especially those you don't think are deserving of being treated as equals and respected. Those folks you wouldn't think of verbally assaulting. The rest of us must suffer your slings and arrows. So be it. Sticks and stones.

I have shot with Al. And his lovely wife. We got along fine. I can shoot with anybody. I offered to posse with you at CD '09. You nixed that. Fine. My feelings weren't hurt, I learned a long time ago that feelings are a detriment to me. Just didn't think it was very cowboy. Planning on coming to CD 13 but I will be sure to advise MEM and FS and them I can be on any possee and shoot with anyone but you.

Wouldn't want you to have to put up with an ill person.

Oh and the term Nazi is offensive to all those of us who fought under this flag :FlagAm: in all of America's wars.

I have proven over and over in spite of your continual insistence sir that I do not care one whit about small errors or misspellings. That is your perception and just because you re-iterate it over and over does not make it so. None of us has that power. To speak it so. I have admitted to a failing and tried to explain it in too great a detail for everyone here above. It's a minor thing akin to OCD. Nothing grievous. And certainly not an illness.

I am no more ill than you always lashing out at folks and belittling them. Especially those you don't think are deserving of being treated as equals and respected. Those folks you wouldn't think of verbally assaulting. The rest of us must suffer your slings and arrows. So be it. Sticks and stones.

I have shot with Al. And his lovely wife. We got along fine. I can shoot with anybody. I offered to posse with you at CD '09. You nixed that. Fine. My feelings weren't hurt, I learned a long time ago that feelings are a detriment to me. Just didn't think it was very cowboy. Planning on coming to CD 13 but I will be sure to advise MEM and FS and them I can be on any possee and shoot with anyone but you.

Wouldn't want you to have to put up with an ill person.

Oh and the term Nazi is offensive to all those of us who fought under this flag :FlagAm: in all of America's wars.

You're welcome to your own reality...but facts are facts.

You are a Spelling/Grammer Nazi. You constantly correct folks...and talk about belittling???? Man, look in the mirror!

And why would I want to shoot with you? Seriously..Why? But please don't attempt to have folks believe that you wanted to shoot with me and I said no. That's not accurate...

:FlagAm:

Your exact quote at the time was "I don't need the distraction". But we've slept a thousand or so times since then. And I can certainly respect the concern as you were in contention for overall and didn't need any distractions. No big deal. Didn't ax ye ta go fishin' tho...

I wanta shoot with all my CAS pards. That's my dream. An impossible dream I know...unattainable...but it's my dream...

My how the topic has wandered. When it comes to the rules change that was once the topic of this thread: Yes, 97s should be allowed to be loaded, full magazine, OFF the clock, just like a rifle (just the way John Browning intended). If that's a competition problem, re-create the modern class, and only allow 97s in that class.

My how the topic has wandered. When it comes to the rules change that was once the topic of this thread: Yes, 97s should be allowed to be loaded, full magazine, OFF the clock, just like a rifle (just the way John Browning intended). If that's a competition problem, re-create the modern class, and only allow 97s in that class.

So... anyone runnin' for the "Overall" title better plan on ownin' 3 '97s and be forced into the Modern category? While you're at it, why not allow the 1911 in "Modern" and do away with WB as a side match. Since they're only allowed to load five rounds.

Let the screamin' commence on page FIVE! :ph34r: :ph34r:

So... anyone runnin' for the "Overall" title better plan on ownin' 3 '97s and be forced into the Modern category? While you're at it, why not allow the 1911 in "Modern" and do away with WB as a side match. Since they're only allowed to load five rounds.

Let the screamin' commence on page FIVE! :ph34r: :ph34r:

I was mostly kidding -- but I think you're right about the screaming. I know, next we'll resurrect a discussion of a separate class for non-short stroked rifles (running for cover now).

Who cares how its spelled ! :angry:

We all are hear for the love of the game . :wub:

The friends we see and the new friends we make . :)

Shoot the guns we love to shoot. :wub:

And when its all done the food and drink we share . :huh:

When it ceases to be fun Ill cease to do it. :o

So far I LOVE the Game :wub:

In that case, banish the Ruger as well.

Yep ban the Rugers but while you are at it ban all those Italian clones, most have been modified to the point that they no longer look anything like colts anyway.

Me I’ll shoot my AMERICAN made Rugers with pride in knowing I’m supporting a true American company that provides good American jobs to American craftsman

Yep ban the Rugers but while you are at it ban all those Italian clones, most have been modified to the point that they no longer look anything like Colts anyway.

?? :unsure::blink::huh:

Me I’ll shoot my AMERICAN made Rugers with pride in knowing I’m supporting a true American company that provides good American jobs to American craftsman

Yep ban the Rugers but while you are at it ban all those Italian clones, most have been modified to the point that they no longer look anything like colts anyway.

I am a Ruger fan.. .but....the clones look the same as a Colt as a Vaquero does.

GG

Me I'll shoot my AMERICAN made Rugers with pride in knowing I'm supporting a true American company that provides good American jobs to American craftsman

Yep, kinda funny how those Italian clones of Smiths and Remingtons don't look anything like Colts. But then, neither did the originals! :ph34r:

The original rules were no external modifications, now follow the evolution of the different Uberti models. Lowered hammers, different grip angles, modified sight profiles and you will see what I mean

Henry, just bustin' yer chops. :blush: Look at the mods allowed for Rugers also; lowered hammers, different grip angles, modified sight profiles. As they say, that horse is already outta the barn. As with some other things.

Archived