SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Rule Change

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

Hey Griff: I was in the Navy.....and so are my 'Carriers'. HEHEHEHHE (I couldn't resist the moment)

..........Widder

Wife called... said someone from TN sent you a gun part. It could only be a cowboy shooter. So... how much was the rest of the gun? :lol: :lol:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wife called... said someone from TN sent you a gun part. It could only be a cowboy shooter. So... how much was the rest of the gun? :lol: :lol:

Don't forget.....the carrier is just a 'loaner'. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it works in your rifle just fine. Remember, its set up to feed the C45S AND the .45 Colt interchangably at the same time in my Marlin and it may work just as well in your Marlin.

Anyhow, it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about on 'advancing the timing' and 'creating a timing curve'.

Talk to you sooooon.

..........Widder

This sport/entertainment event has drawn inspiration for its permitted firearms rules from a number of sources, not limited to history, hollywierd history, firearms availability, alleged safety situations, etc.

Based solely upon the wordings in the shooters handbook one might conclude that indeed SASS is a form of reenactment shooting.

This observation is reinforced by the logo on the bottom of your web page you are viewing now; SASS is "as close as you can get to the old west short of a time machine".

Since it is most likely true that non of the current SASS shooter were active cowboys or other western characters during the period of interest upto 1899 or 1900, we must utilize historical info.

But lets get real.

Nothing screams to me not real old west more than a person having more guns than can be managed on a horse, Shotgun, rifle and 2 revolvers. Yes, I have seen movies where one rifle, and one revolver were common. And I have seen 2 revolvers and a rifle, but never a shotgun on a horse. A shotgun and revolver(s) on a stage yes.

But tell me movie/or picture where a cowboy (NOT A LAWMAN) had a shotgun on his horse.

Show me a movie/or pix where a cowboy used a 1897. Not very many if any. For that matter I can't picture any period pix or movies that have a 1887. And NO the Terminator doesn't count.

Yet I bet the percentage of SASS shooters that use the 1897 as thier shotgun is much higher than the number of cowboys that used a 1897.

And nothing screams modern trap/skeet etc then poppers and clay throwers used in a CAS match.

Rather than change the rules;

I would ban the Winchesgter 1897 from CAS.

I would also ban poppers.

P.I. Parker, in arguably the greatest western ever, Lonesome Dove, had a scene where he was returning from hunting, horseback, with a shotgun.

97s belong in Modern Class anyway.

Have you found a club that shoots the modern class?

Or is this a no modern class therefore no 97 ?!

Probably not, as he's making the same observation I've made since 1986.

One thing you should know about "Frontiersman" shooters, we don't fear buckin' the tide! :ph34r::lol: :lol:

We don't shoot in classes daddangit for the umpteentheth time. Remember to take notes when ye are in class. We shoot in categories. The Modern category should be resurrected and all 97s relegated to it.

Blackhawks too.

that oughta get 'em goin'... :P:lol::ph34r:

Well Deuce, I would have not believed it unless you showed it to us.

But it takes a JEDI Borg like yourself to do it. And you are still considerably faster with your 'grab 4 and over the top' method.

That was a great video and would be fun to watch in a match.

..........Widder

OK,

I changed my mind. NO STOKEING ON THE CLOCK. :huh:

:lol: :lol: YIKES! leave it to da Deuce! B)

It's not a competitive advantage......While Deuce does it very well......when compared to his run of 2.90 single loading over the top it would SLOW him down. Could he possibly cut the time down a little more....yes but not much. We allowed it for YEARS at Hatbill when it was running. The only taker Cypress Sam....LOL.....and that was only on occasion.

Competitive.....Possibly.......but I would contend that whomever can do it fast can shoot the 97 faster using a different method.

Fun......for sure

Leave it Change it......doesn't matter to me.

Stan

P.S. DAMN DEUCE!!!!!! Is there anything you can't do?

It's not a competitive advantage......While Deuce does it very well......when compared to his run of 2.90 single loading over the top it would SLOW him down. Could he possibly cut the time down a little more....yes but not much. We allowed it for YEARS at Hatbill when it was running. The only taker Cypress Sam....LOL.....and that was only on occasion.

Competitive.....Possibly.......but I would contend that whomever can do it fast can shoot the 97 faster using a different method.

Fun......for sure

Leave it Change it......doesn't matter to me.

Stan

+1 on everything SFRS said especially

"Competitive.....Possibly.......but I would contend that whomever can do it fast can shoot the 97 faster using a different method."

I think it would be fun to watch for sure.

I dont think any rules will change but it would not matter too me one way or the other.

AO

P.S. DAMN DEUCE!!!!!! Is there anything you can't do?

Who cares ?

I dont care what you shoot . :blink:

It seems to me a hole bunch of whiners are trying to complain and slow down top shooters .

Witch will just ad more rules and you will still not beat them at the game. :blink:

If you wont to be faster PRACTICE ! :blush:

Deuce is a very fast shooter , you think he was born a fast shooter ?

No he practice's. :blink:

KJ his wife never even shot a gun before they joined this sport .

She PRACTICE'S to git faster. :blink:

Some people forget that we are in this game FOR FUN ! :wub:

There is no Money for you to win or free equipment for the top shooter of the day. :huh:

We are hear to shoot cowboy guns , Relive are childhood , Spend time with friends with the same interest we have. :)

I just bought a Uberti 66 and Paid money to have it tuned .

I still shot 45+ stages .

I dont go out and practice . :o

This game is about spending time with friends and shooting the guns we love.

I would say stop winning and start having fun ! :P

I'm absolutely SURE you meant to say "stop WHINNIN'". Totally different meanin' than "stop winnin'".

Thanks Deuce for helping me prove my point. You made a very impressive run stoking your '97. Even though that run would beat the vast majority of the rest of us, it's 25% slower than you running your '97 single loading!

No competitive advantage? Relax the rules. Too many rules now!

Yeah, that had me REALLY confused there for a minute. :wacko:

LOL sorry dang spell checker :blush:

I'm absolutely SURE you meant to say "stop WHINNIN'". Totally different meanin' than "stop winnin'".

Uh no, the word is whining not whinning. I don't have a clue what whinning would be. Doubling of consonants when you shouldn't is one of our more common failings. As in shinny for shiny. You can stick in an "e" if you must for shiney but not two "n"s. I have no clue what shinny is. Sounds kinda like a short oak scrub that grows in thickets. Kinda like whinning sounds kinda like a noise a horse might make.

Sturm, you cannot blame spell check. Spell check cannot think. It has no way of knowing what word you are trying to spell. Since you spelled winning correctly, spell check let it pass. Unfortunately the correctly spelled word is not the word you needed in this instance. Winning is as good as whining to spell check. Now if you had spelled whinning with the "h" in there spell check would have caught the fact that it was incorrect with the two "n"s.

Never ceases to amaze me how folks think that a dumb non-human thing like spell check possesses the ability to think and reason and know what we are meaning.

So folks need to stop whinning when they should be whining (or shouldn't be as the case may be) and keep shining, not shinning, on.

Uh no, the word is whining not whinning. I don't have a clue what whinning would be. Doubling of consonants when you shouldn't is one of our more common failings. As in shinny for shiny. You can stick in an "e" if you must for shiney but not two "n"s. I have no clue what shinny is. Sounds kinda like a short oak scrub that grows in thickets. Kinda like whinning sounds kinda like a noise a horse might make.

Sturm, you cannot blame spell check. Spell check cannot think. It has no way of knowing what word you are trying to spell. Since you spelled winning correctly, spell check let it pass. Unfortunately the correctly spelled word is not the word you needed in this instance. Winning is as good as whining to spell check. Now if you had spelled whinning with the "h" in there spell check would have caught the fact that it was incorrect with the two "n"s.

Never ceases to amaze me how folks think that a dumb non-human thing like spell check possesses the ability to think and reason and know what we are meaning.

So folks need to stop whinning when they should be whining (or shouldn't be as the case may be) and keep shining, not shinning, on.

What ?

The point is have fun !

Yessir, by golly ye are exactly right it sure is. And I had great fun giggin' ole Griff especially since he was tryin' to school you and needed a little hisownself. Har!

Trying to help you understand how spell check works and doesn't work -- not so much.

Hmmmmm...I thought you were all about understanding...did you not understand what is being said when someone spells it "Whinning"???

So...you are indeed a "Spelling Nazi"!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

:FlagAm:

:lol: :lol: you guys quite pikkin' on Lone Dog. He purforms a kneaded fuktion.

:lol: :lol: you guys quite pikkin' on Lone Dog. He purforms a kneaded fuktion.

Yeah, he just never learned how to "shinny" up a tree. He says he "have no clue what shinny is." He musta growed up in the city, all the country folks knowed how to shinny up a tree for shore. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, he just never learned how to "shinny" up a tree. He says he "have no clue what shinny is." He musta growed up in the city, all the country folks knowed how to shinny up a tree for shore. :lol: :lol:

YEP.

when my kite got caught up in the tree, I shinnied right up and got it.

Then I had to shinny back down.

And I became a better kite flyer because of it..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

..........Widder

Archived