SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Rule Change

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

And frankly, who cares what John Wayne would shoot? What would Jesus shoot????

:mellow:

From the looks of the Fast and Furious haul, Jesus likes the Glock 21.... :D

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luv my G21 and g30 but they are not appropriate for WBAS. Luv my 1911s and would carry them on the street if I didn't have the Glocks. The 97 is not and never was appropriate for CAS but we doan care. I used them in CAS for about a decade but now they are too valuable and reserved for WBAS.

If someone likes to shoot trombone guns in regular CAS power to them. If they want to stoke on the clock power to them. It's just gonna slow 'em down. As the OP states: the fun factor goes up so that is the best reason to allow the practice. We are in the fun business. The mo fun the better. If a pard/ette is having more fun the more likely he/she keeps coming out.

There is no good reason to continue the prohibition.

I can't hit a single claybird puked up in the air with either type gun much less two activators and two birds at once. Sheesh.

And moving with shells in the mag is disastrous for me. I keep wanting to go ahead and shuck whilst in motion and getting a stage DQ durnit.

Too many people shoot the pump in CAS to ever ban it, that dog won't hunt/

Let's at least get rid of 97's and 87'z out of B Western.....

DOUBLE ONLY!

I enjoy watching a Top-Notch shooter with a 97. But for "B" Western Category, I would like to see only SXS used. In fact, I would like to see a revision, and better clarifying of this category definition, also someone that actually understands and has knowledge of "B" westerns, be put in charge of revisions, sorry PaleWolf. As to other categories besides CC, 97s have a place. Its also easier to add, then it is to subtract items from a Category. MT

If you listen to or read what SASS NUMBER 1 has posted of late, you will find the truth of the whole thing.

The Judge who we all owe for this game we play has said that he was sorry that the 97 was ever allowed. He further states that if he were to start all over it would not be allowed in SASS!!

I feel the same way about it and the ones who support it's use are not looking to be historically correct but a way to be faster and win.

Every shooting game I have ever been a part of starts off with a sound set of rules. I started with IHMSA in the early 70's. The first Louisiana championship was won with a Ruger 44 magnum revolver that was completely stock. The shooters score was a 27/40. Each and every year more and more changes took place with different guns and equipment allowed. It evolved into a game where a perfect score of 40 was shot at every match. The shooters became bored and the game has faded from the fore front.

If SASS does not stick to it's grass roots of making it fun for all who enter then it too will fall.

Just remember that we have SASS because a group of shooters became tired of shooting the game they had.

I have nothing at all against speed but do it like T Bone and many others are capable of, with a real cowboy gun. Later Fairshake

I just wish more clubs would include flyers in monthly matches. All I ever here is the excuse,"They take too long to reset".

Well then you ain't listening to the right folks though it is true that flyers can backlog a match...unless you don't have too many folks shooting the match.

But...at monthlies...go for it...it don't matter.

But at larger matches you have the problem of flyers breaking...shooter gets a freebee. Not good for making a match consistant from shooter to shooter.

If you listen to or read what SASS NUMBER 1 has posted of late, you will find the truth of the whole thing.

The Judge who we all owe for this game we play has said that he was sorry that the 97 was ever allowed. He further states that if he were to start all over it would not be allowed in SASS!!

I feel the same way about it and the ones who support it's use are not looking to be historically correct but a way to be faster and win.

Every shooting game I have ever been a part of starts off with a sound set of rules. I started with IHMSA in the early 70's. The first Louisiana championship was won with a Ruger 44 magnum revolver that was completely stock. The shooters score was a 27/40. Each and every year more and more changes took place with different guns and equipment allowed. It evolved into a game where a perfect score of 40 was shot at every match. The shooters became bored and the game has faded from the fore front.

If SASS does not stick to it's grass roots of making it fun for all who enter then it too will fall.

Just remember that we have SASS because a group of shooters became tired of shooting the game they had.

I have nothing at all against speed but do it like T Bone and many others are capable of, with a real cowboy gun. Later Fairshake

Damn...yer ignorant. Some folks like to shoot the dang 97! To imply that they shoot them only to be faster is stoopid!

Also, this is NOT a historical society!!!!

You want to stick to SASS's grassroots??? Tell me allllll you know about SASS's grassroots.

What a joke!

:wacko:

I would venture to say that a good many shooters chose their particular firearms (87, 97, SxS, etc.....) based on their individual capabilities to operate them efficiently.....which relates to 'faster'.

Why not?

..........Widder

Damn...yer ignorant. Some folks like to shoot the dang 97! To imply that they shoot them only to be faster is stoopid!

Also, this is NOT a historical society!!!!

You want to stick to SASS's grassroots??? Tell me allllll you know about SASS's grassroots.

What a joke!

:wacko:

Geez Phantom...why don't you tell him what you REALLY think :)

But at larger matches you have the problem of flyers breaking...shooter gets a freebie. Not good for making a match consistent from shooter to shooter.

You hit a sore spot. Clay Birds used above monthlies can carry varying degrees of calls, even when there is a permanent Berm Marshal assigned to the stage. Seen clays break in the air, as you say a "freebie", or some break a stationary clay bird, and some were there's a single BB, both called hits. Yet some with a single hole magic BB, asked to shoot it again till it breaks. Very inconsistent at an above monthly. MT

I have a 97 and two S X S and I love to shoot the S X S s more because I shoot them a little better.Some say that the 97 is faster but I love to watch Possum Skinner shoot the two knockdowns and then the two birds at Lake Charles with his TTN hammered S X S and I have seen him do it more than once.Never seen anyone with a 97 do that.

and the ones who support it's use are not looking to be historically correct but a way to be faster and win.

Wrong.

Most of SASS shooters are not looking for historically correct. That's NCOWS.

And also wrong about them looking to be faster. Ya some are. But sure not all.

I know some that use it that have never won anything. And probably never will.

They just like it.

As for me.

Many voted to NOT let me use Blackhawks in Duelist and GFer BECAUSE it did not look Cowboy enough. :angry:

Even thought they did not shoot in the category.

Then they walk out to there gun cart and grab there 97. :wacko::blink:

We just had Defend Old Fort Parker down here. And they allowed them to stoke the 97 on the clock.

Nobody cared.

And the 97 did not clean up.

This sport/entertainment event has drawn inspiration for its permitted firearms rules from a number of sources, not limited to history, hollywierd history, firearms availability, alleged safety situations, etc.

Based solely upon the wordings in the shooters handbook one might conclude that indeed SASS is a form of reenactment shooting.

This observation is reinforced by the logo on the bottom of your web page you are viewing now; SASS is "as close as you can get to the old west short of a time machine".

Since it is most likely true that non of the current SASS shooter were active cowboys or other western characters during the period of interest upto 1899 or 1900, we must utilize historical info.

But lets get real.

Nothing screams to me not real old west more than a person having more guns than can be managed on a horse, Shotgun, rifle and 2 revolvers. Yes, I have seen movies where one rifle, and one revolver were common. And I have seen 2 revolvers and a rifle, but never a shotgun on a horse. A shotgun and revolver(s) on a stage yes.

But tell me movie/or picture where a cowboy (NOT A LAWMAN) had a shotgun on his horse.

Show me a movie/or pix where a cowboy used a 1897. Not very many if any. For that matter I can't picture any period pix or movies that have a 1887. And NO the Terminator doesn't count.

Yet I bet the percentage of SASS shooters that use the 1897 as thier shotgun is much higher than the number of cowboys that used a 1897.

And nothing screams modern trap/skeet etc then poppers and clay throwers used in a CAS match.

Rather than change the rules;

I would ban the Winchesgter 1897 from CAS.

I would also ban poppers.

I agree. It would slow them down, not speed them up. We always allow it at our club. Heck, I've even been known to encourage it.

And just for the record, two poppers and then two birds can be done with a double...even a hammer double. :D

I've seen this shooter do it!! Very impressive actually. B)

<SNIP>

Are you saying that birds didn't fly in the late 1800's?? Or that a cowboy wouldn't have shot a sage grouse with his coach gun? Hmmmmm.... or even maybe that shooting 4 guns is too much fun?

Further, it by GAWD pains me that not one of you varmints got my "JESUS" joke..... :o

Are you saying that birds didn't fly in the late 1800's?? Or that a cowboy wouldn't have shot a sage grouse with his coach gun? Hmmmmm.... or even maybe that shooting 4 guns is too much fun?

Further, it by GAWD pains me that not one of you varmints got my "JESUS" joke..... :o

Bro King: they probably got you on their 'ignore' list..... :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure that I'm on a few list myself. ^_^

..........Widder

I got it. I want Juan too!

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

This sport/entertainment event has drawn inspiration for its permitted firearms rules from a number of sources, not limited to history, hollywierd history, firearms availability, alleged safety situations, etc.

Based solely upon the wordings in the shooters handbook one might conclude that indeed SASS is a form of reenactment shooting.

This observation is reinforced by the logo on the bottom of your web page you are viewing now; SASS is "as close as you can get to the old west short of a time machine".

Since it is most likely true that non of the current SASS shooter were active cowboys or other western characters during the period of interest upto 1899 or 1900, we must utilize historical info.

But lets get real.

Nothing screams to me not real old west more than a person having more guns than can be managed on a horse, Shotgun, rifle and 2 revolvers. Yes, I have seen movies where one rifle, and one revolver were common. And I have seen 2 revolvers and a rifle, but never a shotgun on a horse. A shotgun and revolver(s) on a stage yes.

But tell me movie/or picture where a cowboy (NOT A LAWMAN) had a shotgun on his horse.

Show me a movie/or pix where a cowboy used a 1897. Not very many if any. For that matter I can't picture any period pix or movies that have a 1887. And NO the Terminator doesn't count.

Yet I bet the percentage of SASS shooters that use the 1897 as thier shotgun is much higher than the number of cowboys that used a 1897.

And nothing screams modern trap/skeet etc then poppers and clay throwers used in a CAS match.

"The Professionals" with Lee Marvin & Burt Lancaster. As for rule changes many shooters are getting frustrated when the rule changes more than once a year. Its getting hard to keep up with the changes. Maybe that why there are more non SASS Cowboy shooters than SASS Cowboy shooters. In my area that I shoot in the non SASS members at matches outnumber the SASS members at least 3 to 1.

To me poppers are not cowboy.

If a person of that era had hunted actual birds I would have expected that they would use a shotgun other than a coach gun.

Perhaps a misconception on my part.

I just don't like poppers.

Can't like what I can't hit. ;)

"The Professionals" with Lee Marvin & Burt Lancaster. As for rule changes many shooters are getting frustrated when the rule changes more than once a year. Its getting hard to keep up with the changes. Maybe that why there are more non SASS Cowboy shooters than SASS Cowboy shooters. In my area that I shoot in the non SASS members at matches outnumber the SASS members at least 3 to 1.

IMDB says that "The Professionals" was set in 1917.

Well after the period of time of the Cowboy era.

Bottom line. Doesn't count.

On the rules...... We have a poor rule book. With secret rulings....at least rulings that are not really publically available.

SASS is a commercial enterprise not a real sport governing body.

I got it but didn't really know if it was funny so I asked my friend Jose. He thought it was funny but his brother, Hose B, didn't like it at all. :P

Some folks like to shoot the dang 97!

+1 Phantom!

• I am fairly new to the game.

• I did not become involved in SASS to be a re-inactor. I got involved because I like to compete and love the old guns and their facsimiles.

• I have a far greater love/respect for 1897's versus any other shotgun of any time. That's my personal preference, and that's why I can't imagine shooting anything else right now. I'm not saying that I won't shoot a double or lever SG but to me there's nothing cooler than the 97 design and is my favorite gun to shoot out of all of my CAS guns.

• I also believe that stoking the 97 on the clock would be fine....something different to spice things up a little with the same ole gun. I don't believe it would be faster either but I couldn't care less. As a 97 shooter, I'm also perfectly fine with the rules staying just as they are. Things seem pretty even between 97's and doubles now.

Finally, Thanks to JMB for designing one of the coolest shotguns ever!!! Clackity Clack!

But lets get real.

Tell you what, I'll agree with a ban on '97 shotguns in SASS if you can show me a pre 1900 picture of any cowboy with any Ruger firearm........or a movie/picture of a cowboy in a gunfight that has someone with a blue plastic timer standing behind him. ;)

As far as clay birds, didn't the exhibition cowboys shoot glass dishes/bottles that were thrown into the air?

As to the original post, a rule change is not needed. If a club desires to let the shooter stoke the shotgun on the clock, then a rule change is not required.

Just for the record, the vast majority of pre 1900 "cowboys" didn't own 2 pistols, 1 rifle and a shotgun. Even if they did, they didn't leave the house every day with all 4 of them.........let alone get in 6 seperate gunfights in one weekend day. Just thought I'd fill you in on that one. :rolleyes:

Sun (not to be confused with Sam)

I think SASS oughta ban anyone that wants to ban the 97, How bout dat?

The Judge may have an issue with it... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pithy thread. Folks pithin' about thith, pithin about that! I wonder what the next pithy thread will be about? Y'all musta been in the Navy, 'cause most ever' sailor I met could get pithy & whiney with the best.

Yep, gonna be L-L-O-O-N-N-G-G winter.

Tell you what, I'll agree with a ban on '97 shotguns in SASS if you can show me a pre 1900 picture of any cowboy with any Ruger firearm........or a movie/picture of a cowboy in a gunfight that has someone with a blue plastic timer standing behind him. ;)

As far as clay birds, didn't the exhibition cowboys shoot glass dishes/bottles that were thrown into the air?

As to the original post, a rule change is not needed. If a club desires to let the shooter stoke the shotgun on the clock, then a rule change is not required.

Just for the record, the vast majority of pre 1900 "cowboys" didn't own 2 pistols, 1 rifle and a shotgun. Even if they did, they didn't leave the house every day with all 4 of them.........let alone get in 6 seperate gunfights in one weekend day. Just thought I'd fill you in on that one. :rolleyes:

Sun (not to be confused with Sam)

Somehow I don't think I could find a pre 1900 pix with any ruger firearms.

Of course the blue plastic timer may be a different story.... nay similar story.

As for clay birds, in SASS shooting we don't have glass dishes nor bottles being thrown into the air.

Didn't need filling in on that one.

Never believed that cowboys had 2 revolvers.

WOuld easily believe single revolver and single lever rifle, no shotgun.

A professional shootist might have two revolvers but would carry 2nd one in a more obtuse angle crossdraw, illegal in SASS.

And of course most gunfights were not gunfights, they were more like hits. Not even close to fair.

I did. (Spanish pronounciation)

(breathing heavy and shaking my head)...

This post is another fine example of how some of us would argue with a stump. Can you imagine what would happen if no one replied to the OP's statement? Now, can you imagine what will happen now after all this "discussion"? Yup, the same thing.....NOTHING.

With, of course, the fact that now some of us feel like pushing an agenda, while others are taking things personally about certain comments (that were most likely taken out of context, or maybe not). Others still are now adding one more name on their special list of folks who are way off course and should be avoided in the future.

Sometimes I wonder how we can look each other in the eye when we actually meet in real life.

Oh brother.

Oh brother? Are you talking to me? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pithy thread. Folks pithin' about thith, pithin about that! I wonder what the next pithy thread will be about? Y'all musta been in the Navy, 'cause most ever' sailor I met could get pithy & whiney with the best.

Yep, gonna be L-L-O-O-N-N-G-G winter.

Hey Griff: I was in the Navy.....and so are my 'Carriers'. HEHEHEHHE (I couldn't resist the moment)

..........Widder

Oh brother? Are you talking to me? :)

Yep, he must be talkin to you Brother King.

But, knowing Dang It Dan, I think he looks at all of us as Brothers.

Thank you Bro.Dan

..........Bro. Widder

Even John Wayne shot birds in the movies. Remember in McClintock when his daughterr went out to find him he was in one of his pastures shooting birds.

Archived