SASS Wire Forum

What do you suppose you would do?

Alpo

This is not for CAS. This is (hypothetically) real.

There are five bad guys, in a line, and you decided to sweep them. Pow pow pow pow pow, five dead bad guys, Yay Me, go home and have supper.

But chamber #3 goes click instead of pow.

Would you continue your sweep, skipping #3 (who got clicked at), shooting #4 with 4, #5 with 5 and doing a speedy reload to go back and shoot #3? Or would you stop your sweep when you got the click, and shoot #3 again, with round #4, pow, then #4 with shell 5, and THEN do the speedy reload to get #5?

This happened to me in a match one time. Pow pow click pow pow. I skipped #3, shot 4 and 5, reloaded and went back and shot #3. Yay, clean. What d'you mean "P"? I finally understood that I got a P because I shot them out of order.

If I had stopped after I shot #5, I'd have one miss. #3. If, instead of continuing on, I had stayed on #3, shot it with shell 4, then shot target 4 with shell 5, and stopped, I'd have had one miss. #5. And if I'd stayed, shot #3 again, then shot #4, then reloaded and shot #5, I'd have had no misses. I understand that (took a while, but I finally understood it).

But that's the game.

Assuming, just for funsies' sake, that it was real, how would you have done it?

Pow pow click pow pow, reload, shoot #3? Pow pow click pow pow, reload, shoot #5? Turn and run, screaming like a little girl, 'cause there were five of 'em?

Continue in order, and reload at the end.

Something like this happened to me at a match. I was shooting an old ASM 1860 Richards , when the safety screw on the hammer backed out after two rounds. I holstered it, drew my second pistol, and continued the sweep, reloading three at the end. My time was lousy, but clean.:P

And just to stir the pot.....This is the difference between CAS and reality. In reality, if you don't react tactically, the results could be catastrophic. In CAS if shoot a stage tactically, you are likely to receive a P. After all, it's just a game. :rolleyes:

Oh, and if I really was in the situation described above, it would be "tap, rack, bang" with the 19ll and use the remaining rounds to eliminate the problem. That's assuming my bullet placement was where it should be.

GIT

As far as SASS. I reengage #3 and stay in order.

Then when I get to 5. I keep going around and hope it goes off the 2nd time.

Then I am clean and did not waste to much time and no P.

If not. I stage if there is a place to. And declare it broke, or hand it off to TO.

As after going around. I might not know just where that round is at this point. And if

i holster it and it's under the hammer I got a SDQ.

I don't reload my pistol on the clock. Just take the miss and move on and try not to waste anymore time.

As far as real life.

Don't use a revolver loaded with 5.

XD hold a lot more than that. :huh:

Hypothetically, with 5 to 1 odds, I'm beating a hasty tactical withdrawal. :blink:

Knowing you are going into a gun fight, you load the 6th cylinder, thus, bang, bang, click, bang, bang, bang. All 5 taken care of.

...There are five bad guys, in a line, and you decided to sweep them. Pow pow pow pow pow, five dead bad guys, Yay Me, go home and have supper.

But chamber #3 goes click instead of pow.

Would you continue ..

I would hit the ground and roll...take aim and drop that 3rd Yankee...roll in the opposite direction and drop #4.

If'n #5 gives me time reload...if'n he doesn't my knife to him or stay behind cover and RUN!

My J-frame is model 432 in .32 Mag that holds six rounds that are more powerful than most .38 loads from a 2" barrel.

I believe that I practice this scenario at eveyr match with a routine Ruger-go-round. I am 50/50 on the continue-as-planned versus catch the third target before proceeding. It matters not in the real world since there is still one baddie left out of the five.

Is this the right time to say, "If I a got a procedural, I didn't earn that procedural. The government and community helped me with that procedural."

I wonder if, way back when I got that P, if, when it went "click", I'd hollered, "Pow! I gotcha!!", and then shot P4 and P5, if Ida got a clean stage?

I mean, heck, we're just still playin' cowboys. Right?

Archived