SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Question

:FlagAm: Just ordered some new unprimed Starline 45 LC brass. This is the first time I am loading new brass rather than reloading used brass. Is there anything that needs to be done to them before first loading? I'm wondering if I need to check case lengths or chamfer inside or outside of case mouth.

Thanks.

SaukValley Sam

I would think that you just need to size like old brass.

To make sizing New Starline brass, I hit them with a little One Shot case lube.

New cases tend to drag a little in the die.

You can also tumble them to get rid of the sharp case edge. This will also help but not necessary

After the first time through the sizing die, they become easier to size.

Cliff

Just ordered some new unprimed Starline 45 LC brass. This is the first time I am loading new brass rather than reloading used brass. Is there anything that needs to be done to them before first loading? I'm wondering if I need to check case lengths or chamfer inside or outside of case mouth.

Starline 45 Colt brass is the only brand I use. Having purchased close to 2,000 new cases over the years - have found the case lengths to be SAMMI specifications and nothing needs to be done to the cases prior to reloading them - just put them in the press and reload

PS: You will be shooting 7-12 yds in CAS and chamfering in not necessary for any main match caliber IMO. But if it makes you feel good, chamfer, check case length, anneal, etc. If you plan to shoot 45's for 100-200yds matches, group sizes, chamfer the ID/OD. Otherwise no chamfer is necessary

:FlagAm: My thanks to everyone who replied. Great information. I really appreciate it.

SaukValley Sam

Archived