SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Mini-Thirty

Tom Bullweed

I have a chance to buy a Ruger Mini-Thirty (7.62x39 chambering) in great condition and for a very good price. I would buy this gun for some brush hunting for deer and for more serious use (if you know what I mean).

Any cowboy have/had one? What kind of grouping and reliability did you experience?

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Was looking for a Mini-30 or a Mini-14.Could not find one for a good price.Decided to build an AR.If I could have found one for the right price I would have jumped on it. :)

The early Mini-30's had some cycling problems. As I recall, they had to replace the gas system to accommodate the larger cartridge. Ruger was fixing the problem for free on the early models. Any Mini-30 built in the last 15 years should be fine.

I am a Ruger man my self .

I have bought and sold several of the Mini 14s and Mini Ranch 30s over the years .

They are fun to shoot BUT the accuracy SUCKS !

If you wont to shoot the 7.62 X 39 round.

Any SKS out there, Will out shoot the Mini Ranch 30.

Again fun gun to shoot .

As long as you are not trying to shoot good groups.

Good luck.

Ruger has APPARENTLY fixed the accuracy problem that the earlier Mini-14's and Mini-30's had, I've seen recent production guns that shoot fairly well, perhaps not up to AR-15 standards, but better then they used to.

I am a Ruger man my self .

I have bought and sold several of the Mini 14s and Mini Ranch 30s over the years .

They are fun to shoot BUT the accuracy SUCKS !

If you wont to shoot the 7.62 X 39 round.

Any SKS out there, Will out shoot the Mini Ranch 30.

Again fun gun to shoot .

As long as you are not trying to shoot good groups.

Good luck.

Not quite...we had a Mini 30 versus SKS informal shooting contest at various ranges in the Cali desert years ago. The Mini 30 won overall....guess it depends on the SKS and the ammo...

GG

Sounds like I might be looking more seriously at this Mini-30...until I visited my local shop today. Post-64 Winchester 100 in .308 in very good condition for $25 more than the Mini-30! Maybe I'll get both be prepared for anything.

Sounds like I might be looking more seriously at this Mini-30...until I visited my local shop today. Post-64 Winchester 100 in .308 in very good condition for $25 more than the Mini-30! Maybe I'll get both be prepared for anything.

Liking the word 'both' :D

GG

Guys

I had a mimi 14 and a mini 30 , the accurecy on bith was deploreable :blink:

My SKS would hold LOTS better groups than the mini 30 , and the AR was LOTS better than the mini 14

I did not lose much $ when they went away , so I got lucky on those deals .

Mine were the EARLY guns , not swure if they have inproved that much or not .

CB

Archived