SASS Wire Forum

Cap and Ball Loading

Buckhorn Bud

Don't use extra cylinders,,,,,,,, For a full reload use another gun ,staged ...

For one shot reloads ,,,,,,, cap first shoot 6 ....

Use a flask with trimed spout ,to throw the load needed ,,,, On for .36s and one for .45s .....

Also have a spout for my Baby Remmie ....

Need to build a loading stand to hold my pistols while loading ,,,,,,, used to be better at juggling....

Only use one powder 3f real black No subs ....

Jabez Cowboy

If you have an understanding wife . . . You can remove all your nipples from your extra cylinders. Put the nipples where your forks and spoons go. Put your cylinders on the posts the dishes go on. Light clean and oil everything off after you run em through.

Then run a cycle through your dish washer with nothing in it to clean her out.

I went back to loading the cylinders in two Remmies. But the above is pretty quick. I went through a transitional stage where I had many different types of cap guns and sold the cylinders. I have two hot dog 44 Remmies now with checkered grips they will pry from my cold dead fingers. One is the case hardened factory action job Pietta. The other is Shooters Remmie with a factory action job, progressive rifling, wide trigger, and a Silver trigger guard.

Shooting .36 I have a Uberti Navy Remmie (not heavy like the Army Cabelas sells). For jollies I have a Pietta 1851 for the mate gun.

Shameless

Guest Hardly Dangerous Updated

I find that when I come off the line from shooting, my first stop is the unloading table to have my firearms checked then I go to my gun cart and reload the cylinders on my pistols. So far I've not run into trouble loading off the line. I use a cylinder loading stand and find it very helpful. I recently installed Belt Mountain cylinder pins which requires some type of stand but have not shot that setup yet. I'm a fairly new C & B shooter and need to concentrate on what I'm doing so I don't see how I could work an unloading table and load cylinders at the same time.

Having had the unenjoyable experience of a chain fire twice with my 1860 Armies, I thought I would mention that both episodes were with 6 charged and 5 capped leaving the 6th exposed.

As mentioned already when there is a reload of one round required, I now charge all 6 and will cap the 6th BEFORE firing any rounds at all.

BTW, in both cases both rounds hit the target which confused my spotters big time.....

Bugler

PS. I would NOT remove a nipple to mark the uncharged hole, one never knows when a stage writer will insert a reload on you and then you get to go back, find the nipple, install it and then have at it!

For what it is Worth;

I prefer Colt Clone C&B's to Remington Clones and Ruger OA's. The Colts will run six stages with out pulling the cylinders and re-greasing the base pins or squirting lube on same to reduce fouling drag. With a generous amount of lube on the cylinder arbor my colts will turn freely and not foul. I never remove the cylinder during a Match.

Over the Years I have owned and shot Remingtons & Ruger OA's. I sold them before I started CAS/SASS. I always stated if I ever ventured to the "Dark Side" I would shoot C&B revolvers and they would be Colt clones.

And here I am starting the second Year in the "Frontiersman catagory", a catagory I should have started with 9 years ago.

Lefty Dude, one who enjoys the "SMOKE". ;)

I use these Dixie Gun Works Speed Loaders.

I load up my charge add the bullet and top off with the wad. I put them in an airtight container. To use, I pinch the ball and wad into my hand and poor the load in to the cylinder and top off with wad and ball or bullet. It saves me the time of measuring each load as that was done beforehand. I made a loading stand to use at my gun cart. My loading stand.

I can quickly load up my ROAs and help in the posse and then cap off at the loading table when it's time

Archived