SASS Wire Forum

Well I'm happy for a change.

Dorado

Well, being in the construction industry I usually don't have to worry to much about running out of lead for bullets. But I just had a customer of mine offer me 200lbs of never used fresh lead for $100. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow. So, good find or just alright? I've never bought lead, I don't know the going rate. Did I do good?

.50/lb is very good if it is clean lead in a decent size, as in hopefully it isn't one big chunk!

It's supposed to be pure lead, from what I understand straight from the refinery. It's in sheets, so it'd be easy to cut. I'm about to go pick it up. I'm just curious where he got it from. He works for a freight company, so I'm thinking it was something that they destroyed. But I don't really care on the condition of it, heck I've used old lead drain pipes, flashing and a large pile of fishing weights I found while fishing, not to mention wheel weights. So I'm off now to collect my booty. Yar! lol

Ok, so I got it in. It's in sheets about 1/8"x4"x3'. There's part numbers on them, but no other identification. When I got them they were straight, I've bent them a little. Here's a picture of them. Anyone know what they were? They're really soft and easy to bend. I think I got just a little over 200lbs.

Could they be plumbers shims of some sort? Or perhaps something left over from installing metal roofing?

At one time they used lead to seal the seams on copper sheeting. But, at today's prices, I doubt that they would be using copper for roofs any longer. At least not in residential construction.

Maybe it is lead filling from a dentist office? :rolleyes:

What's the part number, the first piece the number is abit blurred. We use something very similar in aircraft when balancing flight controls. If it is, then it should be pure lead.

I think it is pure lead. The part number is 7358-307B. It's clearer on the other straps.

I've managed to melt half of it down and I've run out of room for my ingots. I'll have to make me a bigger box or something. :D

Give it the fingernail test. If you can scratch it with you fingernail, it is pretty close to pure lead. Or at least pure enough for bullet use. Back in the day when I was playing with the Civil War Skirmishers, we bought roof flashing at I believe around $0.18/lb. Boy those days are gone. It was touted as "PURE LEAD" and it did pass the fingernail test. I fired hundred of rounds through my 1858 Enfield with rather good success.

For cowboy bullets you might want to alloy that some. I buy my cowboy bullets from Desperado and have no problems with leading or quality.

Archived