SASS Wire Forum

My Foot Hurts

So my left heel is really killing me, especially during those all too frequent midnight bathroom runs.

Doc says I got me a case of Plantar Fasciitis. Anyone else ever had this? If so and if you remedied it, I would LOVE to know what you did.

I took the steroid treatment, have tried the special arch support shoes, the fancy insoles, wear Croc's around the house, do (most of) the exercises and roll the ball under my foot. So far the pain has only dulled, probly because I am used to it by now.

"They" say it a stretched ligament that runs from heel to toes and it needs to be stretched "back out".

suggestions?

TIA..SOso

Ditto on it takes time, I had it in both feet. Lawd those first few steps after I'd been sitting were brutal.

Started wearing Birkenstock and after a few weeks the pain was gone. Been wearing then ever since.

SOso, the good news is that there is a cure. The bad news is that it involves surgery. It is only minor, endoscopic, day-type surgery, but it is surgery, with all its attendant risks. I had it done almost two years ago on my right foot and it has been a complete success. If I start having the same problem with the left foot, and conventional treatment doesn't work, I won't hesitate to have the surgery again. Here's a link with more info:

Plantar Fasciitis

I got rid of mine with the arch supports from The Good Feet Store. $$$$ but they work. I am on my feet a minimum of 8 hours a day on concrete floors. Got rid of the foot pain, knee pain and lower back pain. It is amazing how out of whack a sore foot can cause you be.

This is a more recent update of a handout I would give to patients. It pretty well spells it out.

Patient information: Heel pain (caused by plantar fasciitis) (Beyond the Basics)

Authors

Robert P Sheon, MD

Rachelle Buchbinder, MBBS, MSc, PhD, FRACP

Section Editor

Zacharia Isaac, MD

Deputy Editor

Jerry M Greene, MD

Disclosures

All topics are updated as new evidence becomes available and our peer review process is complete.

Literature review current through: Sep 2012. |This topic last updated: Aug 19, 2010.

PLANTAR FASCIITIS OVERVIEW — Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of foot pain in adults. Jumping or prolonged standing often causes strain on the plantar fascia, although plantar fasciitis can occur in other situations as well. The outcome for people with plantar fasciitis is generally good, with approximately 80 percent of people having no pain within one year.

Plantar fasciitis is caused by a strain of the ligaments in an area of the foot called the plantar fascia. The fascia (pronounced FASH-uh) is a thick, pearly white tissue with long fibers that starts at the heel bone and fans out along the under surface of the foot to the toes. The fascia provides support as the toes bear the body's weight when the heel rises during walking.

PLANTAR FASCIITIS SYMPTOMS — The most common symptom of plantar fasciitis is pain beneath the heel and sole of the foot. The pain is often worst when stepping onto the foot, particularly when first getting out of bed in the morning or getting up after being seated for some time.

PLANTAR FASCIITIS RISK FACTORS — Plantar fasciitis is more likely to occur in people whose lifestyle or occupation causes an abnormal amount of stretching of the plantar fascia.

Factors that increase the risk include:

• Long-distance running, especially during intensive training
  • Poorly fitted shoes
  • Obesity
  • Standing for long periods of time
  • Dancing, especially ballet and aerobic dance
  • Repeated squatting or standing on the toes

Plantar fasciitis usually occurs in people without underlying medical problems, but it can be associated with other rheumatic disorders such as ankylosing spondylitis or psoriatic arthritis

PLANTAR FASCIITIS TESTS — To diagnose plantar fasciitis, a healthcare provider will take a medical history and examine the feet to locate painful areas. It is important to notify the provider if there are other areas of tenderness or pain not found during the examination.

Depending upon the duration of symptoms, the severity of pain, and other individual factors, the provider may recommend x-rays to determine if another disorder, such as a fracture or infection, is causing the pain.

PLANTAR FASCIITIS TREATMENT

Conservative treatment of plantar fasciitis — Plantar fasciitis is usually treated conservatively. However, many commonly used treatments have not been proven to improve the symptoms of plantar fasciitis.

Effective treatments for plantar fasciitis include the following:

Rest — Limiting athletic activities and getting extra rest can help to reduce symptoms. Excessive and repetitive heel impact from jumping, walking, and use of a trampoline should be avoided. A complete lack of physical activity, though, can lead to stiffening and a return of pain, and is not recommended.

Icing — Applying ice to the area, for example, for 20 minutes up to four times daily, may relieve pain. Ice and massage may also be used before exercise.

Exercise — Exercise may be helpful. Home exercises include the calf-plantar fascia stretch, foot/ankle circles, toe curls, and toe towel curls. Be sure to perform these exercises with care to avoid causing more pain.

Pain medication — A clinician may recommend a short course of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce swelling and relieve pain. However, these medications have many possible side effects, and it is important to weigh the potential risks and benefits

Protective footwear — Athletic shoes, arch supporting shoes (particularly those with an extra-long counter, which is the firm part of the shoe that surrounds the heel), or shoes with rigid shanks (usually a metal insert in the sole of the shoe) may be helpful. Cushion-soled shoes with gel pad inserts or heel cups may provide temporary pain relief. Silicone inserts have been found to provide better support than felt pads or rubber heel cups. Magnetic insoles have not been found to provide any additional benefit.

Splints may be helpful when worn overnight to position the foot and heel to provide pain relief and a gentle stretch. These splints can usually be purchased in pharmacies that carry orthopedic supplies.

People who work or reside in buildings with concrete floors should use cushion-soled or crepe-soled shoes.

Wearing slippers or going barefoot may cause symptoms to return, even if the floors are carpeted. Thus, the first step out of bed should be made with a supportive shoe or sandal on.

Tape support — Taping the affected foot with a technique known as low-Dye taping may be beneficial for some people, particularly those with "first step" pain. Four strips of tape are applied as illustrated in the figure. The tape should not be applied too tightly. Hypoallergenic tape may be recommended for people with allergic reactions to tape.

Other modes of plantar fasciitis treatment — If these noninvasive measures fail to improve the pain, a healthcare provider may recommend one of the following treatments:

Steroid injection — An injection of a steroid (glucocorticoid) medication may be given into the foot to relieve pain, although the effect may wear off after a few weeks. The injection can be repeated, although many clinicians limit the number of times they will give injections because they believe repeated injections may weaken the tissues of the sole of the foot. However, this belief is unproven.

The injection can be painful and has a very small risk of causing infection.

Casting — Another option is a short walking cast, which begins at the calf and covers the ankle and foot up to the toes. This type of cast has a rocker-shaped bottom that allows you to continue walking while wearing it.

Shock wave therapy — Some clinicians recommend shock wave therapy (the generation of sound waves that provide a burst of energy to the sole of the foot). The treatment is initially painful, and has not been proven to be more effective than sham treatment (treatment with a low, non-therapeutic dose of shock wave therapy).

Surgery — Surgery is rarely required for people with plantar fasciitis. It would only be recommended if all other treatments had failed and the person had persistent symptoms for at least 6 to 12 months.

I had an episode of that several years ago. Finally had to go to a podiatrist and have a cast made of my foot for custom orthotics that I have to wear in my shoes, and it was well worth it. My insurance paid for 3 sets.

That's strange. My 15 year old volley ball playing granddaughter had it and it went away in 6 days. (She didn't miss a game)

You don't suppose recovery time has anything to do with age?

Both myself and my wife suffered heel pain as you described. We went to a chiropractor, he did some foot massages (for lack of a better word!) and suggeted we keep a can of corn under our bed. roll it under your foot before getting out of bed and walking. Worked wonders. Now, I dont even have to do that, but I do stretch and "wiggle" my feet before I get out of bed. Havn't had any trouble in years.

I would be very wary of surgury. I'm sure it is helpful to some, but nobody I personally know has ever gotten lasting relief by surgury.

Hope this helps!

I had the steroid injection - 15 years ago.

Worked well - no problems since. I wear a custom

orthotic insert in each shoe - works great.

I hope your experience is the same.

Humbly submitted.

- BB

I was a Mailman in Anaheim for 20+ years and had it in both feet. Extremely painful sometimes. I had the steroid injections

and it would help for 6 weeks to 6 months. Finally had custom foot casts made to make shoe inserts. That did the trick, even had a pair made for my Cowboy Boots. They shift the weight from the ball of your foot to right under the ankle.

Jake

Thanx for all the great new info!

I really like the can of corn idea. (I have been coming home and rolling a cold unopened can of beer under my foot, as the shape is right and the cold helps, but I have to remember not to open that one too soon after!

SOso

I've been fighting this all summer and now into the fall. I tried laser treatments and I couldn't tell if they had any effect or not. The last visit the Dr. called in a prescription for a topical cream (which was pretty pricey) that does seem to have helped somewhat. I use a frozen can of tomato paste several times a day and do the stretching as well. The last visit I was fitted for custom orthotics but they aren't due in until next month. They weren't cheap and I can only hope the insurance picks up most of the cost. More importantly, I hope they work.

Many years ago I ran in triathalons, 5 & 10 K races etc. Developed Plantar Fasciatis in both feet. Went and did the orthotics thing. When they did the measurement/cast my arches were so high that they had never seen one so elevated (at that time). My footprint was toes and ball of foot at one point and heel at the other - nothing in the middle. Did the can of corn, cortisone injections (3 in each foot over about 14 months) stretching exercises every day. These all helped but did not eliminate the pain.

One day - no pain. Like it had never happened. The only change I made to my routine was my wife bought me a percussion massager (the kind you use for your back) and I used it for 15-20 minutes every night about an hour before bedtime.

If you sit a lot (I drive a semi) it will come back. When I feel a twinge or soreness in the heel area I do the massager thing again and that controls it for me.

My massager has an infrared heat to it and that makes things feel pretty good as well.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I go out to you, I too have this pain in my heels. The doctor prescribed Ttrmadol HC1 5 mg every eight hours It seems to work for me. Also you could freeze a pop bottle and roll your heel over it until you get cold. Doctor Schols has heel pads that are cushioned and that also helps. This getting old isn't for sissies

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Archived