SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Qualification

Of my semi autos, my Taurus 92, or is it a 99, no matter, it's the one I shoot the best with.

You'll do fine.

Oh, and your arms must be WAY longer than mine is CAS targets are within arms length :D

Is this for a Texas CHL? If so it ain't that hard. It's pretty much easy enough that John Q. Public can pass. I've shot it three times, dropped 1 shot the first two times, cleaned it the last. If you can't pass it you really have little business carrying a sidearm. You should do fine. You shoot and move closer, shoot and move closer, etc. Much of it is 10 yards or less.

JHC

Back in the dark ages as a young copper I had to qualify with my wheel gun at 7, 15, 25, and 50 yards. We were allowed to use single action from 50yds at least. ;)

Back in the dark ages as a young copper I had to qualify with my wheel gun at 7, 15, 25, and 50 yards. We were allowed to use single action from 50yds at least. ;)

And ya hunted squirrels at a 100 yds. with your Ruger Mark 1 -- but you could see better back then. ^_^;):lol: Anything past 25 yds. with a pistol is pretty iffy with me, even with my Beretta and Millett target sights.

Unless Texas DPS has changed the distances and failed to notify all Instructors the yardages for qualification are--20 rounds at 3 yd---20 rounds at 7 yd. and 10 rounds at 15 yd. I am an instructor in Texas.

Squawty

And ya hunted squirrels at a 100 yds. with your Ruger Mark 1 -- but you could see better back then. ^_^;):lol: Anything past 25 yds. with a pistol is pretty iffy with me, even with my Beretta and Millett target sights.

Shot em through the earhole so's not to spoil any meat. ;)

Yep, and I used a fixed sight Colt 4" Cobra .38 Spl to do it.

Nowadays the boys & girls are issued Sig p226's here and qual at 25 yards in to 3 yards.

Guess that makes me a true dinosaur! :o

Yep, and I used a fixed sight Colt 4" Cobra .38 Spl to do it.

Nowadays the boys & girls are issued Sig p226's here and qual at 25 yards in to 3 yards.

Guess that makes me a true dinosaur! :o

They don't call you T-Rex for nuttin'!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, Texas Phil. When I lived in California, I managed to qualify with my little Ruger .380 Auto LCP. It was only 15 yards, but, amazingly, I actually got 23 of 25 shots in the qualifying ring. You should do well with the 9mm. Good luck to you, pard.

Shot em through the earhole so's not to spoil any meat. ;)

Used to go Squirrel hunting and always waited for a profile head shot. In one eye and out the other eye.

We called it "Threading the Needle"

One time while hunting tree Squirrels, this big one kept showing me his bushy tail and shaking it at me.

I had my Trusty Winchester 9422 Mag w/4x scope, I shot him in the bum and butterflied him like a Jumbo Gulf Shrimp.

Bye Bye Mr Squirrel.

Jake

Did my Tx CHL a couple of weeks ago, thats what we shot. I do think the profiency test was a little too easy. They even let folks use laser sights. There was a guy 3 bays over from me using a laser sight. his Laser kept painting my target. He was all over the place. I don't think he would have qualified without it.

One lady had a total of 6 holes in her target. 1 about 2.5" in diameter right on the X, the other 5 surounded it and maybe 1" off. pretty inmpressive. I aint messin with her!

Archived