SASS Wire Forum

Update on Cary Kid

Ellie Mae Mohr

I received this e-mail from his missus this morning:

Saturday, Oct 13th Joe was put in the care of hospice, here at home.

Friday evening I picked up our daughter Julia (from Portland, Oregon) and Joe's baby sister, Judy from Petaluma, California, for a visit. Friday evening when I left he was sitting in his recliner, watching TV and he gave me a thumb's up went I told him we would be back in a while. Judy is staying at a local hotel where we dropped her off (as she is super allergic to our kitties) and Julia and I came home. Joe was sleeping by then in his recliner, however, he woke up and recognized Julia and they sat together for about an hour.

Saturday morning when I woke up and came downstairs Joe was still in his chair, he hadn't gone to bed, and had lost bodily functions. Julia and I were unable to get him up on his feet. We were able to clean him up and put fresh pj's on to the best of our ability while he was in his chair, but we called Judy to come from the hotel and called hospice for help.

Hospice was wonderful in that they were at the house within an hour and stayed with us all day, arranging nursing supplies, medications, and an extra long hospital bed. Jer came in from Chicago, and after the bed was set up in the living room, between Jer and the RN, myself and Judy and Julia we were able to get him into a standing position and pivoted him right into the bed. The nurse was then able to get Joe cleaned up well, catheterized, and nice clean pj's for his comfort.

He is in a semi-conscious state but is not restless or agitated at this time. The regular RN and CNA's will be here to help me with Joe's care. Joe's wish is hospice at home and to be pain free. He is not on any IV's nor is he eating or drinking, but at this stage this is the most comfortable way for him to be. He no longer needs to take all of his pill type medications, but his new comfort medications are all in liquid form and will be given to him as he needs for his comfort.

It is almost like he was just hanging in there the best he could until his daughter was able to hug him one more time.

Joe's older sister Lil is coming in from Palm Springs, California Tuesday night and our prayers at this time (for Lil's sake) is for Joe to be able to see his "big" sister before passing.

Please keep Joe in your prayer's that he can let go without pain or discomfort. Thank you - Love Laurie

Ellie and Brad could you please inform Joe's "cowboy buddies" of his status for me. Thank you.

Thanks for the news, sad as it is, Ellie. Big C is such a terrible thing. I can easily suck the dignity out of your being. I understand that there are some great things in the wings, but for some of us they will come too late. My prayers for him and his family.

My prayers go up for him and his family. May the Lord comfort them in this trying time.

~EE Taft~

Prayers up for Cary Kid, his loving wife and his family. May he remain pain free and amongst us until he accomplishes all he wants to do. God Bless.

I pray to the Creator that Joe slips home in comfort and pray that the Creator will grant his family strength and courage !

Thank you for the prayers, I know his family appreciates them.

Seems like this has been a bad day in the cowboy world. Tonight I got a call from El Paso's (SASS# 1388) son and El Paso is being tranferred from the hospital to a hospice house tomorrow. So if any of you have a few extra prayers to spare, I'm sure he and his family could use some as well.

Many of you may not know him because he never got the computer bug but as you can tell from his SASS# he's participated in this for a while. He started shooting in California and was shooting every month until a couple of years ago. Just 2 or 3 months ago he had his son bring him to a match so he could visit with everyone although he wasn't able to shoot. He's been a great ambassador for this sport.

And Miss Allie, you are so right about hospice.

My prayers are going up for El Paso and his family as well.

The way I look at it, we are all related by interest....But mostly by friendship and a sense of family.....I've not met a SASS Pard yet that I didn't enjoy their company...Reading of Pards getting down and seeing others pass on saddens me as I've not had the plesure of meeting them......Others I have met like Greeenriver I miss dearly even if our friendship was brief. We will all meet again on the range in the sky. Tis little comfort at the moment to those that have spent a lifetime loving them, but we will all meet again....gathered in the loving embrace of the Lord.

My prayers for comfort and peace to those mentioned here and to all the Pards that are suffering with illness or loss.

~EE Taft~

I remember as a child, when we moved to Colorado, my dad had a long run (Truck Driver) and came in in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. He got a few hours of sleep then up and gone driving the U haul to Colorado. When I woke, I was upset that I missed him...I remember crying my eyes out and mom telling me we'd meet him out there. When we got there he was at the office getting ready to head back out on the road......missed him again. I was so upset......Mom said he'd be home in a week or so and to look forward to the time when we'd be together as opposed to the time that has passed since he left. A week later....in new surroundings, he made it home and managed to get a few days home.....I'll never forget that first trip into the mountains.

......Point is.....When we lose those we love, we are saddened at the thought that we won't be with them for a long time......some may feel as though they will never be together again......Passing on is a journey.....a trip.....a move......and while we are sad that we are left behind, we will all be reunited again......Heaven is only as many miles away as you make it......if it's in your heart.....if your loved ones are in your heart.......Not even one mile seperates you.........you are together......and when we all meet up there we will once again be together......heart, body and soul; and in the Lords embrace.

Dirn fuzzy screen........

Blessings of comfort and peace to you all.

My Prayer go out as well

We have never meet, but the Cary Kid and I go way back. He was always

the ideal of the best SASS has to offer. We have shoot together, laughede together,

and enjoyed many momentes together.

If I had to choose one man to rider the river with, the Cary Kid would have been that man. I shall pray that the good Lord makes his moments peaceful.

Know that this bunkhouse will be lessened and saddened at his passing.

I only hope that,one day, I can live up to his courage, kindness, and humanity.

Vio Con Dios Amigo. You will be missed!

Till we ride the river again.

My prayers are going up for El Paso and his family as well.

The way I look at it, we are all related by interest....But mostly by friendship and a sense of family.....I've not met a SASS Pard yet that I didn't enjoy their company...Reading of Pards getting down and seeing others pass on saddens me as I've not had the plesure of meeting them......Others I have met like Greeenriver I miss dearly even if our friendship was brief. We will all meet again on the range in the sky. Tis little comfort at the moment to those that have spent a lifetime loving them, but we will all meet again....gathered in the loving embrace of the Lord.

My prayers for comfort and peace to those mentioned here and to all the Pards that are suffering with illness or loss.

~EE Taft~

I remember as a child, when we moved to Colorado, my dad had a long run (Truck Driver) and came in in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. He got a few hours of sleep then up and gone driving the U haul to Colorado. When I woke, I was upset that I missed him...I remember crying my eyes out and mom telling me we'd meet him out there. When we got there he was at the office getting ready to head back out on the road......missed him again. I was so upset......Mom said he'd be home in a week or so and to look forward to the time when we'd be together as opposed to the time that has passed since he left. A week later....in new surroundings, he made it home and managed to get a few days home.....I'll never forget that first trip into the mountains.

......Point is.....When we lose those we love, we are saddened at the thought that we won't be with them for a long time......some may feel as though they will never be together again......Passing on is a journey.....a trip.....a move......and while we are sad that we are left behind, we will all be reunited again......Heaven is only as many miles away as you make it......if it's in your heart.....if your loved ones are in your heart.......Not even one mile seperates you.........you are together......and when we all meet up there we will once again be together......heart, body and soul; and in the Lords embrace.

Dirn fuzzy screen........

Blessings of comfort and peace to you all.

I don't think I could have said it any better.

+ 1

Both gentlemen have passed away since my last post. I can't thank you enough for the prayers you offered up for them.

CK and El Paso it has been a pleasure knowing you guys. Thank you for enriching Reb's and my life. We will miss you both.

My condolences to their family, friends and you.

:(

~EE Taft~

My prayers for strength and comfort are riding on eagles wings to the Creator as I write this.

EE, that post of yours is one of the finest pieces of philosophy I've ever read.

Congratulations, Pard.

Emotions good and bad, happy and sad, provide one's mind with the fuel to speak his or her mind.

I'm saddened by the loss of so many SASS folks here lately. Y'all are some of the best people I've been associated with.

When I think of those of you who are suffering losses right now I think of the loss of family members. That's what we are.....one big family.

........We are all on the road to somewhere special......we'll all meet again.

~EE Taft~

Prayers for peace for both families and all their friends.

Archived