SASS Wire Forum

When writing about your state

Alpo

Like saying, "Down in New Mexico, where I come from", or "I live in the Free State of Vermont", or whatever, do you spell it out, like I just did, use the real abbreviation - Fla, Penn, Tex - or use the post office 2-letter thing?

I seem to read many posts by people from Louisiana, and they all seem to say they live in LA. When I see that I think either of a town in California or a area in Florida.

I know that, if I were to say, "Here in northwest Florida", I wouldn't write FL. I wouldn't even write Fla. I live in Florida - I don't live in FL.

I realize that some of you live where there are actually two-letter abbreviations. But still, Mule Camp is in Ga., not in GA. Hannibal is in Mo., not MO. Santa Fe is in N.M.

The Post Office requires that nonsense, so I do it, on a package or a letter. But otherwise - no. 'Course, I don't OMG, LOL, either. :lol:

Living in the most corrupt state in the Union, I try to use the name as little as possible...However, when I use it, I am most likely to write it out. In fact, though, the three letter abbreviation, ILL., might best describe the feelings of a lot of Illinoisians regarding the shenanigans that take place in Springfield, by way of Cook County...no offense to my CAS friends from that neck of the woods!

CS

I had an instructor in school fail a paper because the directions clearly stated that I needed to list my correct City and State. As there is no such town as Ft Wayne, i obviously lied on a key element of the assignment. From that point on I have lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana. So I said to him "In comparison with my Northern Michigan, Fit Wayne sucks just as bad as Fort Wayne!" Fail......

And I list dates as 12 October, 2012 when possible. and I are breakfast at 0630.

Living in the most corrupt state in the Union, I try to use the name as little as possible...However, when I use it, I am most likely to write it out. In fact, though, the three letter abbreviation, ILL., might best describe the feelings of a lot of Illinoisians regarding the shenanigans that take place in Springfield, by way of Cook County...no offense to my CAS friends from that neck of the woods!

CS

+1

I did a quick search and found this. Basically the USPS went to the 2 letter no punctuation in 1963. I remember somewhere around the 6th grade (1969) my school went to making us use them in all our reports/essays in which we could use them (based on the teachers instructions). Even then we could only use the abbreviation after the entire word was spelled out previously in the paper.

In 1963, the Post Office Department implemented the five-digit ZIP Code, which was placed after the state in the last line of an address. To provide room for the ZIP Code, the Department issued two-letter abbreviations for all states and territories. Publication 59, Abbreviations for Use with ZIP Code, issued by the Department in October 1963, told why.

Two letter abbreviations were provided by the Post Office Department as an aid to mailers in accommodating ZIP Codes with the usual City-State line of addresses. The abbreviations are based on a maximum 23-position line, because this has been found to be the most universally acceptable line capacity basis for major addressing systems. A breakdown of the City-State-ZIP Code line positions is as follows: 13 positions for city, 1 space between city and State designations, 2 positions for State designation, 2 spaces between State designation and ZIP Code, and 5 positions for ZIP Code.Only one change has been made to the abbreviations issued in 1963. the two-letter abbreviation for Nebraska, originally NB, was changed to NE to avoid confusion with New Brunswick in Canada.

Never thought about it much. I'm from Colorado. I probably write it out more than abbreviate it, but depending on where I'm writing it, and who I expect to read it, I might use Colo. or CO. And I'm more likely to abbrev. it when it's used for a city name, like Co Spgs especially when I know the person I expect to read it will know what I'm saying.

As a side note, when writing the date, no matter if you spell out the month or not, do you write the full year, 2012 or just 12? Up until 2000 I just used the last two digits of the year, since then I've noticed I tend to use the full year.

Never thought about it much. I'm from Colorado. I probably write it out more than abbreviate it, but depending on where I'm writing it, and who I expect to read it, I might use Colo. or CO. And I'm more likely to abbrev. it when it's used for a city name, like Co Spgs especially when I know the person I expect to read it will know what I'm saying.

As a side note, when writing the date, no matter if you spell out the month or not, do you write the full year, 2012 or just 12? Up until 2000 I just used the last two digits of the year, since then I've noticed I tend to use the full year.

Maybe because you still remember 1912 and don't want to get confuzzled? ;)

I find myself, often as not, writing something like 12 Oct, 2012. If just using numerals, it is MM/DD/YY

Funny thing, abbreviations. When you use CO some people think it means county.

When I order things that are being shipped via UPS or FedEx, I have to use my street address which is on County Road N. That's "N" as in Nancy. Just N. It's a county whose east-west roads are alphabetical and north-south roads are numerical. The only named streets are in Dove Creek. Companies think I abbreviated it and I get stuff addressed to County Road North. I told a girl on the phone once it was County Road N as in Nancy, so she wouldn't put road M. It came addressed to County Road Nancy. I had to talk the UPS driver in.

Modern America seems obsessed with abbreviations. Jaylo, Bennifer, SoCal, Roco (I just learned that'n means Romantic Comedy) etc, etc. It's getting as bad as the military with their acronyms and abbreviations.

Don't be lazy, sez I. Write the whole danged word or phrase. What's the hurry?

(tempted to put LOL here. but I won't) ;)

Used to work with a guy that said he lived on Arthur ave. I told him, "There's no such place as Arthur ave - you live on Arthur Avenue. If you wish to abbreviate it Aay, Vee, Eee, that's wonderful, but it's still pronounced Avenue."

I thought he was just a moron, and then heard a traffic report on the radio. "There's a big traffic pile-up at Sherman ave and Highway 231". I thought about calling the station and asking if he also said "10th Stuh (St.), and Franklin Bluvood (Blvd)", and if not, why not? And why didn't he say "Ha-wie" (or maybe Ha-wee), instead of actually saying "highway" (Hwy)?

We are surrounded by idiots.

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! Hannibal is in Misery!

:lol:

I say, Missouri, Missoura, Mizzoura, Misery, Mo., MO,............

Speakin' of which.......Mama got y'all some more pics........get ready!

~EE Taft~

Have a drink on my tab, Alpo! :D

~EE Taft~

Them are dialectical not abbreviational.;)

Them are dialectical not abbreviational.;)

there's a couple there that are abbreviational!

If ya don't do Colorado like this (CO) then folks will just think your talkin' about a company (Co.).....there's just no way to win! :lol:

there's a couple there that are abbreviational!

If ya don't do Colorado like this (CO) then folks will just think your talkin' about a company (Co.).....there's just no way to win! :lol:

Never say Mo. People will think yore talkin about Allie. ;)

~EE Taft~

I hate to see a grown man drink along................

Bottles...pour me some of dat ole Bulliet an put it on EE's tab ! ! ! ! LOL

Like saying, "Down in New Mexico, where I come from", or "I live in the Free State of Vermont", or whatever, do you spell it out, like I just did, use the real abbreviation - Fla, Penn, Tex - or use the post office 2-letter thing?

I seem to read many posts by people from Louisiana, and they all seem to say they live in LA. When I see that I think either of a town in California or a area in Florida.

I know that, if I were to say, "Here in northwest Florida", I wouldn't write FL. I wouldn't even write Fla. I live in Florida - I don't live in FL.

I realize that some of you live where there are actually two-letter abbreviations. But still, Mule Camp is in Ga., not in GA. Hannibal is in Mo., not MO. Santa Fe is in N.M.

The Post Office requires that nonsense, so I do it, on a package or a letter. But otherwise - no. 'Course, I don't OMG, LOL, either. :lol:

Yes teacher we will behave and follow you're instructions now! So sorry we offended you.

:) Rye from Oh

I guess I could call it Moe.

:o

Archived