SASS Wire Forum

Any bobwhite hunters out there?

When was da last time y'all hearded a "whippoorwill" call ?

Been forever an a day sinced I hearded one !

Listened to a couple down camping in Kentucky this past summer.

There was a fellow over by Totem Lake that had a covey of California Quail, several years ago. I have not seen them for quite a few years. I do not know what happened to them but the farm was modified some and I guess that the birds lost more habitat. It was always a traffic stopper to see them strut around the yard next to the roadway. Not many cars in those days. Kinda miss that.

It is pretty cool and damp for quail in this neighborhood. Lots of cover with all the berry vines, but not many birds survive the cold and damp. I have some red fuchsia plants that I hang next to my garage door. Last night while we were enjoying our supper, a little hummingbird came looking in the window. It was almost dark, and I had brought the plants in for the night. I had not seen him around before and the only thing I can figure out is that he was attracted to the red flowers and when I took them in, I took in his supper. He gave me a really nasty look and then took off. I cracked up laughing. So, I refilled the sugar water bird feeder for him. :lol:

Archived