SASS Wire Forum

22 rifle for children

Trigger Mike

My oldest daughter has a 10-22 that I painted the stock pink. She likes it fine but it is a little long for her. I do not want the single shot crickett as I figure the load time etc is more likely to drive an impatient child away from shooting. While I understand the need to teach them to not waste ammo etc, there is nothing like the feel of firing continuously. Besides I bought them single action revolvers to teach them patience with in 22. I'd like to know which semi auto 22 has the shortest stock that is still reliable. I have the AR platform 22 rifles but the rear sight is too high for their little faces, even without the carry handle.

Ruger

Marlin

or soome other make?

You could just get a youth stock to put on that 10-22. It'll cost less than another gun and when she out grows it you can put the old stock back on.

S&W M&P 15-22.

Its as reliable as a 10/22. Very light weight construction.

Buttstock can be adjusted down to a kid's LOP.

They even did a limited run in "platinum pink" camo last year.

Both of my kids had one under he Christmas tree last year. They love shooting this rifle.

Henry Youth model .22 leaver action . :rolleyes:

S&W M&P 15-22.

Both of my kids had one under he Christmas tree last year. They love shooting this rifle.

How old are yours? Mine can't seem to get their eyes on the sights. I took one out last week with one and did not like it. I loved it on the other hand, accurate, and reliable after it broke in after 20 rounds or so.

How old are yours? Mine can't seem to get their eyes on the sights. I took one out last week with one and did not like it. I loved it on the other hand, accurate, and reliable after it broke in after 20 rounds or so.

9 and 11. I put a Bushnell red dot on top.

S&W M&P 15-22.

Love the S&W 15/22.

Got one so my very small-framed grandson and I can shoot it; the adjustable stock is great.

I have a low-mount red dot sight on it.

Some of the small-framed pump-action .22s might work for your children.

My 12 year old granddaughter loves her Cricket, although I bought it before I knew about the Savage Rascal and its better trigger.

The single shot offers a level of safety. Young folks turn around unexpectedly and invite a sweep. Seen it happen with adults too. My vote is to stick with a single shot. Lend her your 10-22 periodically, but her gun should be a single shot.

My 12 year old granddaughter loves her Cricket, although I bought it before I knew about the Savage Rascal and its better trigger.

The single shot offers a level of safety. Young folks turn around unexpectedly and invite a sweep. Seen it happen with adults too. My vote is to stick with a single shot. Lend her your 10-22 periodically, but her gun should be a single shot.

+1

Safety should be #1 on the list, especially where children are concerned. They have a short attention span and a fired round can never be recalled, regardless of where the barrel was pointed.

Archived