SASS Wire Forum

OT - Annual Long Range BPC shoot

Sage Creek Gus  SASS #64320

Once again I went over to our old family homestead in north central Montana for a week of long range shooting at steel targets using black powder cartridge rifles.

This land was homesteaded by my grandparents in 1914 and is now owned by my father. It is 37 miles north of Chester, Montana which is the nearest town. The road from Chester is all gravel.

This year I added a full-size steel target of a buffalo at 1030 yards. There are five other targets that are from 334 years out to the 1030 yards.

Below is a link to a webpage I put together last year of the range. I'm linking to it rather than a new page because things are about the same. This link does show the new buffalo target.

My link

I camped there for a week with friends coming over for shorter periods of time. The weather was pretty good most of the time with only one really windy day. There are no such things as calm days in that country.

Special this year was I found the location of my grandparents homestead shack. We had never known were it was located but always suspected it was near a dug out in the side of the coolie where my grandfather kept his work horses.

I took a metal detector with me and after searching several areas found on spot that turned up many items from their homesteading days including a skillet and a tin cup.

Here's a link to a webpage I created for my family showing the location of the shack and the items I found.

My link

I know this isn't directly related to our shooting sport but thought you might find it interesting. I fired close to 400 rounds of 45-70 shooting black powder along with over 1000 rounds of 22 rimfire.

My grandparents source of water was Sage Creek which is three miles south. My alias is based upon thier homesteading days.

Sage Creek Gus

Archived