SASS Wire Forum

Marlin questions? Need one for buckarette, Sunny Starr.

Rowdy-Finn

Sunny Starr and myself shot NE Regional this past weekend. Great match again! She had a couple jams with her Henry .22 for a total of 15 misses left in rifle. We've sent it back to Henry before and have decided to move on to a .38/.357 rifle instead of sending it back again. She has trouble holding up an 1873 but has tried a couple of Marlins and the weight is better for her. I guess we're looking for a Marlin Carbine pre? Can someone tell me what to look for and what not to look for as I know nothing about Marlins. Have the cash on hand and just need to find the right rifle for Sunny. Thanks!

What you want is the Marlin 1894C. The ones made before the Remington takeover are considered better, look for the JM stamp on the barrel. Anything made before 2010 should be fine. Subtract the first two digits of the serial number from 100, the remainder is the last two digits of the year it was made. If the serial number begins with "MR" it is a Marlin/Remington.

If it were me I would contact Slick McClade here on the wire, he sets up a great Marlin match rifle and knows a thing or two about setting them up for the young shooters as well!

Nothing against Slick but here is another option widely used.

Spur's Rifle Conversions By Western Gun Works . Cowboy Carty (AKA Carty Allaman)

http://www.shadycreekshootists.com/shortstroke.htm

Contact Carty Here: Cartya78@gmail.com Or Call 309-299-7843

Archived