SASS Wire Forum

Split Pistols at big matches

Tn Tombstone

Well Now,

Been following this thread for several days and have got something figured out.

In all age based categories you may shoot Traditional, Duelists & Dbl. Duelist.

In duelist categories you may shoot Duelist or Dbl. Duelist.

In gunfighter categories you may shoot Gunfighter or Dbl. Duelist.

The common style regadless of category is Dbl. Duelist. Therefore I offer the following scenario.

At position "A" (stage left) holding Shotgun, engage (2) SGKD's, while holding shotgun in left hand (no prop/table0 shoot (3) pistol targets in a Nevada Sweep with right hand. Make pistol safe, move to position "B" (mdl. stage) make shotgun safe, shoot (4) rifle targets in contimuous Nevada Sweep, make rifle safe. Pickup shotgun and move to position "C" (no prop/table) and shoot (3) pistol targets in a Nevada Sweep with left hand. Make pistol safe and engage (2) SGKD's.

See what I mean? Everyone gets to shoot the stage Dbl. Duelist. Everyone gets to shoot the stage the same. Now when has that ever happened?

Well MD's here's your chance to please the masses. No thanks necessary.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Sorry, you're overlooking the problem. In your description of the categories you indicate how they MAY shoot ( gunfighter, single or double duelist) then you go on to MAKE them shoot in one specific way. That's what folks object to most. I don't shoot gunfighter but, if I did I'd want to shoot GUNFIGHTER. I wouldn't appreciate being forced to shoot a different style.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the OP: ≤20% should get no complaints from anyone.

Hats off to a guy to understood the question and did not attempt to read more into the original post. No surprise, he's a gunfighter, a well understood indication of superior intelligence and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Buck D. Law (who digs Kyrptonite, but thinks exposure should be limited to 20% for the sake of mere mortals)

:lol::rolleyes:;)

I don't simply shoot gunfighter. I AM a gunfighter. And as a gunfighter, I don't mind a split pistol stage or two or a split and one or two shoot 5 and move stages. In fact, our annual, for which I write the scenarios, always has one or two split pistol scenarios.

If a club has an annual that has 40-70% split stages and I know beforehand that will be the case I will not go. This is the case with one nearby club that has an otherwise excellent state championship match. I have already spoken with the match head (who I really like) and said, "I have no right to tell you what to do, but I also have the right to not come." No use going to a match to be pissed off. The stage writer has been talked to about this numerous times, but thinks gunfighters have an unfair advantage and that double-duelist is part of gunfighter anyway. I thought about just shooting duelist or something, but decided to just spend that money somewhere else. There's more good shoots around here than I can attend anyway.

I've decided not to use the term "gunfighter freindly" anymore, because lots of folks seem to think that implies an advantage to us, when all we really mean is the stage does not put us at a DISadvantage. There are only about 2 scenarios that are truly an advantage to a gunfighter over a two-handed shooter.

To the match directors that do take all shooters into account, I say, "THANK YOU!"

Possum

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself.

Rock(who has tried to get her Phantum to shoot GF with her almost everytime I see him)y

I agree with Possum Skinner about the ≤20%. I think most folks enjoy keeping the pistol together most of the time, but want some variety.

And it never made since to me to be in the middle of a gunfight and have to switch guns for no apparent reason. :D

Why would I want to lay down a loaded gun to switch to another unless it was for a distant target?

And it never made since to me to be in the middle of a gunfight and have to switch guns for no apparent reason. :D

Why would I want to lay down a loaded gun to switch to another unless it was for a distant target?

Exactly! I tell stage writers this same thing all the time!! Well said Marauder.

Ya. And we would not have been shooting from open windows and doorways.

We would have been ducking for cover and most would have wet there pants.

You can go ahead and do that also if you wish. :unsure:

And sure there would have been times you would not have been able to pulled both pistols at the same time. :huh:

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Most of the well practiced pistol transition 2 handed types secretly do not want split handgun stages as it has the potential to add a second or two their stage times. Fortunately for them the Gunfighters come to their rescue... :huh:

I have shot gunfighter here and there, now and again, but I have also done some extensive trials to see when and if a gunfighter has an advantage. The circumstances are pretty specific and rare. Unless you have an alternate on two widely spaced targets which are fairly large or a very simple sequence on very large targets the gunfighters simply do not have an advantage. Between switching sight pictures from gun to gun and shooting both unsupported there is no advantage, period.

That said, I can sympathize slightly with stage writers who feel that writing stages without split pistols limits their stage design. I say slightly for a very specific reason. When you consider the added variations which are given by splitting the pistols, they are not that large. It's making a 3 gun stage into a 4 gun stage, but any additional movement/transitions that a stage writer feels they "need" to have may be created with the shotgun.

Point is, it's not that difficult to write a match which is 100% pistols back to back, and what is the negative impact of doing so? Even if you have truly split pistols, it's not difficult to provide staging areas so that gunfighters may stage and retrieve pistols to allow them to shoot the pistols as they have chosen.

I don't know why people are upset with movement between pistols. Gunfighter is it's own beast, and the shooters who choose the category should be prepared to deal with such instances. If it adds another level of difficulty and you are upset, well, there are other categories...

Most of the well practiced pistol transition 2 handed types secretly do not want split handgun stages as it has the potential to add a second or two their stage times. Fortunately for them the Gunfighters come to their rescue... :huh:

I disagree. There's not really a difference. If you're not doing two different things with your hands when you're transitioning, you're not making the best of your transitions anyway. It doesn't matter what the next gun is.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I disagree. There's not really a difference. If you're not doing two different things with your hands when you're transitioning, you're not making the best of your transitions anyway. It doesn't matter what the next gun is.

Oh... okay

But gunfighters do come to the rescue! If it weren't for them there would be a whole lot of fun just left lying around :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Bud, Possum Skinner and I have sent you and Jed I. Knight a couple emails on 'Jedi GF of the Year'.

Holler back at us if you will. Hopefully, we can make our selection announcement after Thanksgiving.

Thanks.

..........Widder

Archived