SASS Wire Forum

Northeast regional

Red River Ray SASS#33254

KK,

Down here we talk a little, uh, different. Believe it or not, I understood what John E. Law said, or meant to say. Yes, he did say "I don't agree that the WB never got with the W/R people....". What he MEANT to say was, "I don't agree with THE FACT that the WB never got with the W/R people ...." He was expressing his displeasure with the WB because they did not talk to W/R ahead of the announcement. Really. That is what he meant to say. We stay out in the sun too long down here ;).

it must be the sun cause it was clear to me 3000 miles to the west. :lol:

cc

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And nobody is holding a fire to your feet to go to this one.

If ya don't want to go. Don't. But they have earned the right to at least try.

Or do you think the people in th east should be just left out in the cold like they have been for years??

Leave WR the National Championship.

Make the the other he Eastern Champioship. Just leave the national off of the name.

BUT. Give the winners entry into EOT just like WR does.

What would be wrong with that????

And all it took was a name change.

This may be what the Wild Bunch is going to do. We will need to wait and see. I really don't see a problem with this except Winter Range should have been notified before the announcement. This like all matches will live or die by attendance and the Wild Bunch knows this. There is more to this than is being said at this time. Just my opinion.

Blue Wolf

One has to wonder if this is a ploy to add a new layer to the Championship structure of the game; by making an Eastern and Western Championship and may hand THE ONE National Championship to another match.

Say, maybe the U.S Open or Comin' at Cha'...hmmm.

Now some people say I'm crazy...

HW

Many good points are being made here. But the tone of this thing gets ugly from time to time. We need to take a chill pill wand wait to hear from the Wild Bunch on this topic.

Seems like we have already heard, see pinned post at top of page.

One has to wonder if this is a ploy to add a new layer to the Championship structure of the game; by making an Eastern and Western Championship and may hand THE ONE National Championship to another match.

Say, maybe the U.S Open or Comin' at Cha'...hmmm.

Now some people say I'm crazy...

HW

Don't think WR is in any danger of having the nationals moved at all.Now

Now Sparta would be a great place to have a big championship match some time.

And the Open is still young. Only been around a few years and with time should grow.

As for Comin At'Cha.

I know T-Bone does NOT want it to get any bigger.

So don't think that is going to happen.

And not sure why everyone keeps throwing CAC in the mix.

Well !!! Y'all done drug Comin'At"Cha in the ring so I guess I'm in. If the WB decided to move the SW Regional from the Bar 3 I would support the decision and move on. BUT on the other hand if I decide to close the Bar 3 Range in a seconds notice, I would expect the WB to understand my decision and move on. The same as they did in Ga.at Mule Camp. SASS is a business and if Your Business releys on SASS and it's membership, You should understand it is Just business..Without SASS and the Parent companies there is no business. There are a lot of people that has made a living off of SASS and the WB, by advertising or Gunsmithing, clothing sales, schools, etc. If Your business has grown, You have made great decisions. If not you sold Your inventory and moved on as every good business man would do. Time will tell !!!!

I often thought what I would do if I owned SASS and my reply was "There ain't no way I would want to put my head on a chopping block every day for the Love of CAS" !!!!!

T-Bone..... I agree with your statement. No matter what happens, CAS will survive and continue as long as we care to play the game. The Cowboy Spirit can be seen in every local club match... and in the annual matches that abound around the country. Whether they are 50 shooter matches or 300 shooter matches, they will continue as long as we support them. These non-state and above matches are truly the back bone of Cowboy Action Shooting... the rest is just "Gravy"... and no doubt, it is the Gravy that the business side of the game (SASS) must deal with. I don't envy them.

Humm? we might be have more in common than I thought.

Snakebite

So does SASS need to change their home page from:

Join the thousands of Old West aficionados who have discovered the fast growing sport of Cowboy Action Shooting! Members receive a numbered shooters badge, a registered alias, access to exclusive shooting events, an annual subscription to The Cowboy Chronicle and much more!

to

Join the thousands of Old West/East aficionados who have discovered the fast growing sport of Cowboy Action Shooting! Members receive a numbered shooters badge, a registered alias, access to exclusive shooting events, an annual subscription to The Cowboy Chronicle and much more!

Just wondering... :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

An Old West afficionado can live ANYwhere on this planet.

I'm a newbie here, so I'm not going to comment on the specifics.

What I find strange, after 4 pages of conversation, is that there are no comments from any single digit # SASS members.

Isn't it time the individuals who made the desision chimed in and addressed these comments and concerns?

B SLIM

The members of the Wild Bunch have never participated in any discussions on this here wahr. Misty has apparently become their voice and spokesperson and a good one she is. Unless some new member of a future WB might possibly show interest in participating in our sometimes rancorous discussions here, I wouldn't look for any of the current WB to ever post on the Wire. Cain't say as I blame them...

Boy Howdy!!!! I read some of the whining, moaning, groaning and complain in' and had to skip to the last page!? What's the big deal about us folks out here in the East having a SASS sanctioned Eastern National Championship!? Seems like there should be fist bumps, high fives and back slappin' all around? How does adding another great and possibly big CAS event to the national venue become a negative thing? Sour grapes and Cowboys don't mix well.

Boy Howdy!!!! I read some of the whining, moaning, groaning and complain in' and had to skip to the last page!? What's the big deal about us folks out here in the East having a SASS sanctioned Eastern National Championship!? Seems like there should be fist bumps, high fives and back slappin' all around? How does adding another great and possibly big CAS event to the national venue become a negative thing? Sour grapes and Cowboys don't mix well.

Rowdy... Sour Grapes??? come on Pard, its not sour grapes, its just logic. This is ONE NATION, not two. (I know that there is some dispute about that) I haven't heard anyone whining, moaning, groaning or complaining about the East having a SASS sanctioned Championship match. Just don't call it the National Championship. You can call it the Eastern Divisional Championship, or the Colonial States Championship, or the Blue and Gray Championships or what ever.... but there can be only one National Champion, not two. It's not about the match or the East being given a major Championship match... it's about the name and the title. WR has more than earned the right to the National Championship title. They have worked at it for a very long time and have consistently produced a top match which out draws all the others. They are the National Championship and to TELL them that they must share that title......... Well, that was the only Sour Grapes that I read about. We are all in agreement and support that you guys on the Right Coast should have a major championship match. I'm sure that match will be able to stand on it's own merit without the need to take someone else's thunder.

Snakebite

Rowdy... Sour Grapes??? come on Pard, its not sour grapes, its just logic. This is ONE NATION, not two. (I know that there is some dispute about that) I haven't heard anyone whining, moaning, groaning or complaining about the East having a SASS sanctioned Championship match. Just don't call it the National Championship. You can call it the Eastern Divisional Championship, or the Colonial States Championship, or the Blue and Gray Championships or what ever.... but there can be only one National Champion, not two. It's not about the match or the East being given a major Championship match... it's about the name and the title. WR has more than earned the right to the National Championship title. They have worked at it for a very long time and have consistently produced a top match which out draws all the others. They are the National Championship and to TELL them that they must share that title......... Well, that was the only Sour Grapes that I read about. We are all in agreement and support that you guys on the Right Coast should have a major championship match. I'm sure that match will be able to stand on it's own merit without the need to take someone else's thunder.

Snakebite

Sorry Snakebite but this coming from a guy who lives right near the current "National" and "World" Championships and has the opportunity to shoot them year after year holds no water with most on this coast.

No one is taking anyone's "thunder". I run a small club here in Florida, almost by myself, so I know how tough that is so I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to put on W/R and I have nothing but admoration and respects for the committee. When and if I am able to attend W/R I will, I can't wait to do it, but until then you say I shouldn't have the opportunity for anything other than "regional" event?

As I posted earlier it's around $1500/$2000 for my wife and I to go to The Mason Dixon and would be $5000/$6000 to go to W/R. That one match would spend every bit of match money I have for the entire year!

Since the W/B won't rotate the "National" event LIKE IT SHOULD BE, then this is the next best thing. It works well in supercross and has no effect on their attendance. Those from this coast that are fortune enough to be able to spend that kind of money to travel to W/R WILL STILL DO SO, and they will still sell out, but it's becuase it is a great match! Like I said, I will someday to, but until then we should have a East Coast National.

You said W/R has "earned" the right to having "the national title", but at the same time your saying the east coast shooter's don't, why is that? I pay my money, I practice, and I attend every monthly and big match I can and I bust my butt working to run one club and working at every match I attend, I can even win a few here and there, but because I don't have the finances to go all the way to the other coast I don't deserve the opportunity to hold a "National" title?

That sounds like selfish sour grapes to me.

JEL

I also think the W/B owes a certain red head an apology!

Rowdy, im having trouble with your math; is there really ANOTHER event in the east?

deduct one regional, add one eastern championship, net gain ZERO

cc

CC, my thinking is that the NE Regional will be offered up to others in the region and the "new" SASS Eastern National Championship will add another SASS sanctioned "big/destination" match. Then shooters who live out this way will have the opportunity to attend a match that's more than a Regional without sellin' the farm and shooters over yonder can fill up their rigs with gear & fuel and come have some fun out here if they have a hankering to do that.

Sorry Snakebite but this coming from a guy who lives right near the current "National" and "World" Championships and has the opportunity to shoot them year after year holds no water with most on this coast.

No doubt it is closer... it takes me two days to get there. It did take longer to attend Mule Camp.

No one is taking anyone's "thunder". I run a small club here in Florida, almost by myself, so I know how tough that is so I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to put on W/R and I have nothing but admoration and respects for the committee. When and if I am able to attend W/R I will, I can't wait to do it, but until then you say I shouldn't have the opportunity for anything other than "regional" event?

I've been doing the small club thing .. for the past 20+ yrs too.. plus a few more things. I also understand the work evolved, and thank you for yours.

As I posted earlier it's around $1500/$2000 for my wife and I to go to The Mason Dixon and would be $5000/$6000 to go to W/R. That one match would spend every bit of match money I have for the entire year!

No doubt that things get expensive. My pension just doesn't allow me to spend as much as I did when I was still working. But that is just something that I have to deal with.

Since the W/B won't rotate the "National" event LIKE IT SHOULD BE, then this is the next best thing. It works well in supercross and has no effect on their attendance. Those from this coast that are fortune enough to be able to spend that kind of money to travel to W/R WILL STILL DO SO, and they will still sell out, but it's becuase it is a great match! Like I said, I will someday to, but until then we should have a East Coast National.

I've heard the rotation suggestion before, but I'm not so sure that the numbers would stay at the 7-800+ mark. Of Course I can't say for sure, but that would be better than trying to have two National matches.

You said W/R has "earned" the right to having "the national title", but at the same time your saying the east coast shooter's don't, why is that? I pay my money, I practice, and I attend every monthly and big match I can and I bust my butt working to run one club and working at every match I attend, I can even win a few here and there, but because I don't have the finances to go all the way to the other coast I don't deserve the opportunity to hold a "National" title?

WR has built the National Championships. They draw over twice what most of the LARGEST matches draw, and have been the National Championships for a long time. It makes money for SASS, and with the new contracts should make SASS more than twice what it would if it were moved. SASS IS A BUSINESS, and Only a poor business person would destroy the biggest money maker that they have. WR is also good for CAS, tearing it in two just doesn't make sense. So YES.. they have earned the Nationals, and unless they fall down in the venue they should have the right to keep it. Producing a large Championship in the east through restructuring the system is the right way to go, but It doesn't sound like you are going be satisfied with any name other than "The Nationals" for a big east coast match. I hope that you will support the new Championship match..even though it will not be called the National Championship.

JEL

Snakebite

JEL

I also think the W/B owes a certain red head an apology!

An increase of $3500 - $4000?

How??

:FlagAm:

Winter Range-Western National

Mason Dixon-Eastern National

EOT-National Championship

?

Flame away, especially you Cowfolk out there in the "World"

?

No Flame pard.... Hope and Change... I've heard that one before! :unsure:

Snakebite

?

EOT has a title for their match. Its called the "Word championship" why would they want to lower the title to "National championship"?

...I also think the W/B owes a certain red head an apology!

Hi John,

Ditto. Misty's post sure made it look like he didn't know what he was talking about. I know him and he is not one to jump to conclusions. He has even been entrusted to take minutes at the TG Summit. That is hardly a job for someone who can't get their facts straight.

I can sympathise with those on the East coast about WR being too far and wanting their own "big match." Although, I've not yet attended WR due to the distance, I still think we should have one National match. If anything, that could be rotated with appropriate notice to the WR folks. I believe Europe has one National and it is rotated among countries.

There are several high-attendance matches across the country, such as Land Run, Comin Atcha and the U.S. Open. A match doesn't need to be called a National to be successful. Being a Regional is plenty prestigious. The U.S. Open isn't even a State match and its success grows every year.

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

An increase of $3500 - $4000?

How??

:FlagAm:

Well lets see. A well known shooter here from Florida went to EOT this year by himself and it cost him $2800. He flew and then rode with people to the range. So either add a rental car and another plane ticket, plus entry, plus food, plus all the other minor stuff and you EXACTLY in the area. OR factor in the gas from here to W/R which is 2250 miles. At 3.75 per gallon that's give or take $750 plus the oil change. Yeah, I'd say my estimate is in the ballpark.

JEL

That apology was just given on Misty's thread, here. :)

Thanks Allie, for linking that. that was nice of her to post that.

No Flame pard.... Hope and Change... I've heard that one before! :unsure:

Snakebite

Aw Snakebite!? That is a low blow! My F350 is the only vehicle in North Carolina with the vanity-plate, NOMOBAMA. That's Ebonics for "No More Obama". I put it on in July, 2009. Been getting more & more thumbs-ups as the years go by.

I don't really care what they call the "New" Mason-Dixon Stampede, just excited that it might get bigger & better as it is already such a great event. I guess when I think about it the idea of SASS attaching "Eastern National" to the match is exciting for some of us who live over here in the 32 States east of the Mississippi and love this sport. Imagine if for years and years SASS had the National Championship in Maryland and the World Championship in Illinois and then announced a new Western National in California, Arizona , Texas or New Mexico, I bet a lot of folks would have a much different opinion regarding that news.

I'm sure it will all work out ok and we'll all keep on havin' fun shootn' and meeting new people.

Rowdy... I sure am hoping it all works out well... and I'm not trying to offend anyone about the Name... I will do my best to support a MAJOR Championship in the East. The numbers of shooters in the East has been on a steady climb, and they certainly do need a major championship.. It just going to take some thought to get it right, and to put proper significance on it..... Maybe "The North American Cowboy Action Shooting Championship"... or something equally impressive.

Snakebite

Rowdy... I sure am hoping it all works out well... and I'm not trying to offend anyone about the Name... I will do my best to support a MAJOR Championship in the East. The numbers of shooters in the East has been on a steady climb, and they certainly do need a major championship.. It just going to take some thought to get it right, and to put proper significance on it..... Maybe "The North American Cowboy Action Shooting Championship"... or something equally impressive.

Snakebite

North American....hey that's even bigger than a national....

figured that out all by myself.... :lol:

Snakebite

Hey, I like the sound of that! See Snakebite, it's not just about the name for me.

JEL

Snakebite

I like it Snakebite! Plus, imagine the size of the buckle!!!!

?

Ok now why not do it right, not just two Nationals what about the South and the North. Why not have the four cornors with a North, South, East and West National Chanpionship shoot? Then have all the winners meet at the EOT-National Championship and let all the winners shoot it out and see who is the best of the best is. This would be a great move more fun shoots for all!!!! :lol:

• 10 months later...

Archived