SASS Wire Forum

Northeast regional

Red River Ray SASS#33254

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They announced at the awards today that next year's shoot at Thurmont is going to be the SASS Eastern National! Everything east of the Mississippi.

Not sure what that means for the regional.

And BTW the Jerseytown Kid is this years NE Regional and Overall champion!

I don't know maybe it's just me but I think this is big news, how come no real info???

What happens to the NE regional?

Does Winter Range become the Western National? How do yeah have two Nationals??????

Well Tony maybe more will attend with two, At 4.30 a gallon WR is almost outa tha question for tha ones on this side. If ye win then we haft to go back across tha country fer EOT. Nothing like droppin 3600 for fuel on two shoots. I dropped 1800 in 2007 on diesel there an back,

RRR

I forsee a Western National (WR) and an Eastern National....with the two sides settling the matter at EOT.

Just my thoughts...

Phantom

:ph34r:

Yep.

Not fair to expect folks living on the east coast to have to travel all that way to WR.

About time they gave them a shoot for the people in th east.

But I really thought the Open should be the Eastern Championship.

Yep.

Not fair to expect folks living on the east coast to have to travel all that way to WR.

I figgered it too Al, however Thurmont is a good range also an even more central on this side. Wish em all tha best

RRR

Yep.

I would think the "Eastern" National would be a bit more eastern...

;)

Great match... exciting shoot off...and the KID was awesome. Entire posse gave him a standing ovation.

I would think the "Eastern" National would be a bit more eastern...

;)

Guess you all are right. Just a shame the folks that had the idea don't get it.

But atleast years after. SASS is getting it. And moving on some good ideas.

Evening Star and the rest of the committee put on a great match.

The french fry guy ( you will not be disappointed ) adds to the great food severed at the match.

NK

Yep.

It may have to do with attendance. The Mason Dixon has averaged 400 shooters where the US Open has averaged only 250.

I've been to both, same distance for me either way, but the food is much better in Maryland!!

I can't wait for the Eastern National!!

Just my 2 cents.

JEL

The folks in the East have been the step-child for years. SASS has finally responded to the shooters for a SASS major event on the East coast.

The match is still going to be called the Mason Dixon Stampede, and will continue to be the same caliber of match that earned it the SASS Match Of The Year Award a few years back.

At this point, the regional states we covered will be folded into the east's regionals but those details are not finalized.

Winter Range will be the Western National and the Mason Dixon Stampede will be the Eastern National.

This is a win - win for everybody.

The agreement was not finalized until this past weekend so some of the finer details are not available yet.

The final dividing line between East and West is still being worked on but I am certain it will be announced soon.

The match date will be the same as this year with a day or two added to include a Wild Bunch championship.

We have been working with SASS for months and now that it is a done deal, we have a lot of work to do, so be patient. Once we finalize dates and a schedule, it will be posted.

We appreciate the trust that SASS has placed in us to host their Eastern National.

Roo

Well i'm glad about tha Eastern Nat. But tha NE regional was one of tha good ones! Damn hate ta see it go! Now we've lost Mule Camp an Thurmont

RRR

Big Guy,

Don't fret. Same time, same station, same folks, we only swapped Regional for National.

Roo

How does this effect the contract SASS has with Winter Range to be the National Championship or has it expired? The Winter Range web site and application for 2013 still calls their match the SASS National Championship??

Sparta, Illioniis is a rockin' place with lots of shooter options for entertainment! Thurmont rocks too! SASS should seriously think about the true central area for the nationals if splitting. Would most folks be able to make it to Sparta or Maryland? Maryland has more hotel options than Sparta though, so there is the big downfall. We love both places!

So.... I guess this means that this will be the last year for the SE Regional in S.C. as well. Anybody know for sure?

FV

I would assume that the SASS Southeast Regional, SASS New England Regional and SASS Midwest Regional would all still be held. The states that were in the SASS Northeast Regional would use the SASS Eastern National as their Regional.

This will not eliminate any other regional match. It will increase the number of states in existing regional's. Those changes will be announced by SASS in time. All of this takes place next year (2013).

Again, this is very fresh news and all of the changes are still being ironed out.

The bottom line is SASS is listening and has made, what I think, a smart decision to address the concerns of shooters on both sides of the US.

Ray, are you sure this won't intefere with your fishing?? :lol::lol::lol:

Roo, there's a big ole ditch just the other side of Memphis that a lot of folks use as the dividing line. :lol::lol:

Boozy

Boozy,

At the moment, and subject to change, the big creek is a front runner.

Roo

Howdy,

If I had to guess (Using my "Not So" Crystal Ball) we will see SASS adjust the boundry lines for the adjacent regions to absorb the states currently in the NE Region into either the New England or South Eastern regions and eliminate the NE Region. I think the Mason-Dixon Line seems like a logical place to do that, but that is just me. You can look at the map of the existing regions at the link below.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/index.php

It would also not surprise me to see SASS adjust some of the other regions as part of this realignment either once they decide on the boundry between the eastern and western nationals. As an alternate to dividing the regions purely into geographic regions, they could also consider using population density or membership numbers to balance the numbers at the regionals and national. Only time will tell.

Personally, I think this is FANTASTIC! I envision a match that is even bigger and better than the NE Regional has been since it was moved to Maryland, and those have been pretty spectacular. I just have one question, When Do The Applications Come Out So I Can Sign Up?

Dogmeat Dad

How does this effect the contract SASS has with Winter Range to be the National Championship or has it expired? The Winter Range web site and application for 2013 still calls their match the SASS National Championship??

Was wondering that as well. I am signed up for Winter Range 2013 the National Championship. Would changing the scope of the championship change my desire to go? Probably not, but...

Man I hate it when I am the last to know.

Can anyone provide a link or reference to when this change takes effect or maybe when it was decided.

Was it a decision by the WB or a vote of the TG's or ???

Appreciate the help

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Gateway Kid,

See Chuckaroo's posts (#16 & #26). That is about all the information that exists at the time. I heard that they just signed the contract this weekend, so it is, as they say...

"Hot Off The Presses"

You should have been there when Ozark Bob made the announcement. He did the old Bad News/Good News thing and, in his best dead-pan voice, told everyone at the awards ceremoney that, after all these years of hosting the NE Regional, SASS had decided not to renew the contract for 2013.

DEAD SILENCE!

Then the mumbling started, then the grumbling started, and just before it got ugly. He announced that starting in 2013, the match would now be the Mason-Dixon Stampede - Eastern National! It took a moment for what he was saying to sink in, and then, the cheers and applause filled the tent. I wish I had a video!

Knowing Chuckaroo, information will flow out to the wire as soon as possible. Until then, MAKE PLANS TO BE THERE!

Dogmeat Dad

Man I hate it when I am the last to know.

Can anyone provide a link or reference to when this change takes effect or maybe when it was decided.

Was it a decision by the WB or a vote of the TG's or ???

Appreciate the help

Regards

Gateway Kid

Gateway Kid,

You are not the last to know. This announcement was only made yesterday at the awards ceremony of the Mason Dixon Stampede.

SASS has contracts with each state, regional and national matches. None of the match locations are decided by TG's.

These matches are decided on by the Wild Bunch after they research possible locations and clubs to host the match.

It also takes a club that is willing to take on the responsibility of holding a major event.

There are still undecided issues, as mentioned in the above posts to this string. I am certain that once all the final details are complete, you will hear more.

Gateway Kid,

You are not the last to know. This announcement was only made yesterday at the awards ceremony of the Mason Dixon Stampede.

SASS has contracts with each state, regional and national matches. None of the match locations are decided by TG's.

These matches are decided on by the Wild Bunch after they research possible locations and clubs to host the match.

It also takes a club that is willing to take on the responsibility of holding a major event.

There are still undecided issues, as mentioned in the above posts to this string. I am certain that once all the final details are complete, you will hear more.

Thanks,

I knew I could count on the Wire folks to straighten me out.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Archived