SASS Wire Forum

help with 1887

Gawd Awful

I'm hoping someone has a clue. I let my wife barrow my 87 last week, again and today, about half way through the match it started giving her problems. when I looked at it I realized the shell Lifter wasn't staying up. as soon as you release fwd pressure on the lever, the lifter falls before the shell is pushed into the chamber. It's a fun gun and worked flawlessly the few times I've used it since I got it back from Lassiter. I plan on calling him next week but was hopping someone on the wire had an Idea or experience with this problem and could help me out.

thanks

...Well...my guess would be the magazine spring is broken, too weak or perhaps you took the "plug" out. All that holds the lifter up is the pressure from the plunger provided by the magazine spring. Had that problem with my original doing a little junior gun smithing. Hope that helps...

C.C. Dollar

Oh...(edit)...if the spring is weak just add a wood plug (dowel) in front of the magazine to give the spring the proper pressure...cut to desired length.

sure enough, had a piece of dirt wedged in and holding the plunger back far enough that the lifter wasn't touching it. cleaned out the crud and it works again. thanks :D

Archived