SASS Wire Forum

M1897 C model

Red Cent

Yep, aware it does not have an ejector spring. Found out something else also. It does not have a spring that holds the firing pin safety closed until it goes into battery. Apparently, in these early models they did not put the spring in until.........?

Thanks Mink.

Cypress, it is a solid frame.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

C Series:

In February 1898, after about 47,000 shotguns had been made, more changes were made in the Model 1897. After that date the gun was marked with the letter "C" over the serial number.

(1) A small wire was put into the receiver and connected to the action slide lock release pin, to hold it from coming

out when the gun was taken apart.

(2) Receiver made 1 1/2 (one and one half) hundredths ??? thicker on each side. This was thought best on account of the increased cuts on the inside.

(3) Action slide lock spring was changed.

(4) The first Model 1897's had no ejector spring. (The ejector was a little block pinned to the LH receiver wall.)

This spring is a small thin "L" shaped spring with a screw hole that is attached from the outside LH side of the

receiver immediately in front of the "ejector".

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The aforementioned C model is, apparently, an early model. But......the slide release button falls out. However based on the above the C model was the first to have the little wire.

This shotgun is not mine. But....I have three more solid frames. Two are C models with (1) a wire holding the slide lock release button (2) an ejector spring (3) a spring to hold the firing pin block out until it goes into battery. The other has a serial number but it has no designation other than the serial number.

Now, other than being confused, I may install an ejector spring. Hmmmmm.............

Hey Manatee, chip in here. Need some experience.

You can install the ejector spring if you want..... the receivers were a bit thinner and it's a difficult thread to tap....but if you are absolutely gonna do it... Personally, unless I was going to do a complete restoration, I wouldn't think about it at all...even then I wouldn't do it.

Make sure you lengthen the forcing cone or use shorter ammo. You really should headspace check these guns too.

Did the forcing cone. Generally the first thing done to all the cowboy guns. Reamer, brake hone, scour with balls, spin sandpaper and done.

Does anyone know of a template or fixture available for drilling the ejector hole and the screw hole?

Archived