SASS Wire Forum

What the bleedin' H3! is going on with gas prices

Subdeacon Joe

The stations around here up about 50 cents since Saturday. Yesterday between going to work and coming home they went up about 15 cents. On my way to work this afternoon up another 10 to 15 cents.

up 45 cents from tuesday .63 for the week

It's Bush's fault. He's raising prices to make Obama look bad. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Only in Calif cuz of the change from Summer blend to Winter blend and the Oil refinery FIRE. That's what the news said.

Jake

Yeah... Ain't that sumpin'...? That fire was months ago, and just about a week and a half ago the news predictions here were that prices would soon be dropping when we changed to the cheaper winter blends. Sheesh! <_<:wacko:

It's Bush's fault. He's raising prices to make Obama look bad. ;)

Must be. He big oil cronies are jacking up prices to make the current POTUS look bad so Bush can be reelected.

They've actually come down a couple cents here. Lowest in Abilene is $3.49.

JHC

Oh...quit gloating. ;)

It appears to be the old supply and demand deal. The refinery fire along with a major power outage at another slowed production just when they were getting ready for the change to winter blend. Winter blend can't be released until Oct. 29 and the supply of summer blend is really low. Refinery branded outlets are getting product and the independents have to go on the open market.(according to the news media)

Blackfoot

Seems like every damn time the oil compainies want to raize the prices (the corps not the stations!) they say it is cuz of a refinery fire.....seems like there are a lot of fires goin on here...I would get to wonderin how much their "fire insurance costs...

and all these corps keep showoing HUGE profits every quarter....I would think they could afford a little fire proofing here and there...

curley

Seems like every damn time the oil compainies want to raize the prices (the corps not the stations!) they say it is cuz of a refinery fire.....seems like there are a lot of fires goin on here...I would get to wonderin how much their "fire insurance costs...

and all these corps keep showoing HUGE profits every quarter....I would think they could afford a little fire proofing here and there...

curley

While the profits are huge in terms of dollars, they are rather modest in terms of percent, around 6 to 7%. Exploration, drilling, transport, and refining are VERY expensive.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah... Ain't that sumpin'...? That fire was months ago, and just about a week and a half ago the news predictions here were that prices would soon be dropping when we changed to the cheaper winter blends. Sheesh! <_<:wacko:

They do it cuz the can.....

Saturday it was $4.09

Tuesday it was $4.17

This morning it was $4.41

And this is 8 to 10 cents LESS than the branded gas.

Independents are STILL way cheaper......

Obama is gonna say it's because of all the people he put back to work using all the gas....

NOT!

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

$3.44 here in Warsaw today.

$3.44 here in Warsaw today.

Cahone hasn't had a gas station since the sixties. ;)

Perhaps the price of electricity is going up? Which refineries and everything else that makes gasoline happen uses? Just perhaps that partically explains why the gasoline prices are rising?

We don't need no stinking electrity in the US says Obama and the EPA

The stations around here up about 50 cents since Saturday. Yesterday between going to work and coming home they went up about 15 cents. On my way to work this afternoon up another 10 to 15 cents.

...if you gotta know, just follow the money...

...it's called profit gougin'...

...back in the not so distance past folks were tarred and feathered for such practices... ...now it's called "good business". <_<

...if you gotta know, just follow the money...

...it's called profit gougin'...

...back in the not so distance past folks were tarred and feathered for such practices... ...now it's called "good business". <_<

This is their story Oklahomabound (not that I believe it) first it was a fire at a refinery in Richmond Ca., then it was a power outage in an L A CA. refinery now they are saying they don't have enough summer blend gas so they are running out and they can't release the winter blend till the end of Oct. Maybe it is just me but I have never seen any business that can change their prices like oil companys can. I think it is more of nobody has challenged the oil companys. I heard on the news this morning, that fienstien is calling for some kind of investigation into the gas prices here in Ca., so I am wonders who and how much the oil companys are going to pay off so i hope something good comes out of it

There might be some good news... seems the Gov'nor finally did something:

California Governor Takes Action...

"Brown on Sunday ordered state smog regulators to allow winter-blend gasoline to be sold in California earlier than usual to bring down prices. Winter-blend gas typically isn't sold until after Oct. 31. Few refineries outside the state are currently making summer-blend gas, putting the pressure on already-taxed California manufacturers."

Also, this may be of interest to some of y'all.... 'specially those who keep claiming "gouging:"

Gasoline Price Breakdown

The chart indicates something like $0.65 in total taxes for every gallon. This is actually a low estimate, as sales taxes alone in many areas of California are now over 8%.

Fires, summer grade, winter grade..What a load of BS! :angry:

Any old excuse will do..That is, if they even bother to make an excuse..Used to be there was no price increase when the seasons changed, or there was a fire or hurricane, or whatever..It was just part of the business, nowadays, they simply use anything that happens as an excuse, or pull some nonsense excuse out of thin air-In order to raise prices..In the meantime, we're the ones getting hosed.. <_<

And the oil industry was still getting dirty stinkin' filthy rich when gas was $1.50 a gallon..As we used to say in the '70's- "What a RIPOFF, man!"

Sorry to hear what's happening in California..Gas has actually come down a few cents locally..Around $3.65 a gal..Pretty bad when ya think about it..$3.65 being cheap that is..

I did a quick check of past performance of our beloved gas companies and here is a breakdown from Fortune 500 so for your enjoyment here are the top 5 profit makers:

EXXON 41 mil (rounded off

CHEVRON 26 mil

APPLE 25 mil

Microsoft 23 mil

FORD 20 mil

I am sorry but I just don't buy these "excuses" refrineys "down for repair, the cost of crude, on and on, and if they cant find any thing else they fall back on the "FIRE"....they need to get new fire insurance and right now crude is down from what I hear,

and I also don't buy the profit margin only being a few cents on the dollar....they are gouging us....and if that isn't bad enough for the last 100 years the government has been subsiding them..(that is as bad as paying farmers NOT to grow crops.) they don't need any more money....Used to be that Bill Gates and God made more money than anybody, and now the oil companies have left him in the dust...he is down to 4th....

the oil companies could at least stop lying to us with their excuses and tell us they are going to take as much money from us as they can....

I for one have cut me and GramaPhyllis driving down to a minimum. (I know that folks that still have to work are at their mercy, and that is what they are counting on....)

I think we should take a hint from the "smokeout" folks and take a couple of days a month and just refuse to buy gas.....let their product sit on the shelf for a couple of days..They count on supply and demand....well lets reverse the game and give them some suplly and LACK of demand...

ok, now go ahead and tell me how wrong I am...I ain't gonna change my mind...

curley

Have you ever looked at the tax stickers on the pumps? We're (So. Cal.) paying $.40-.45 per gallon, JUST IN TAXES. :angry:

TF

yer low, Tom...

Take a look at my second link above - at present, it's SIXTY FIVE cents per gallon PLUS the balanced of state sales taxes (which was understated in the chart).

...since the big oil companies are also significant backers to many and various political coffers; personally and party wise; the truth will never come to light; and no action will result except that big oil will make their profits ever larger...

Have you ever looked at the tax stickers on the pumps? We're (So. Cal.) paying $.40-.45 per gallon, JUST IN TAXES. :angry:

TF

When was the last time you bought gas ?....... :lol:

It's a good bit higher this century ;):P

LG

Archived