SASS Wire Forum

posting serial #s on guns

Hoss

I see most folks redact the serial #s on pics of guns for sale. Is there a good reason for this? only thing I could think of is so that nobody reports them as stolen, then claims them as thier own, but that seems a little far-fetched to me. Thoughts?

Not far fetched at all. People steal your identify by hacking your accounts. What makes you think they wouldn't try to claim your guns if they have the serial numbers? Remember, there are tens of thousands of people world wide that are trying to steal your personal and financial data. I used to think the same thing until charges from Malaysia started showing up on my credit card.

I see guns for sale all the time online with the s/n blacked out and the s/n on the box blacked out... but the barcode for the s/n right there in plain view. If your phone app won't read it, you can google a tutorial and long hand it.

My understanding is that by posting a Ser# the potential buyer can check out the manufacture date in order to get an accurate appraisal. I usuall include all but the last two numbers like: 965,3XX. That way they can still get the year it was made, but they don't have a complete number.

Not real hard to get an address from a handgun's serial number either.

LG

Never heard of that before, must be a west coast thang. I'll snd ya a serial number to one of mine and you post my address.

I would think it would be tough to do, unless a state has a gun registration database. Law enforcement could call the gun's s/n in to the manufacturer, the manufacturer could tell them it was sent to Sports South. A call to Sports South could reveal the gun was sent to Joe's Bait & Tackle Shop in Wyoming, then a call to the gun shop could be met with, "We won't release that information to you without a court order", or "Gimme a week to sort through my 4473's and I'll call you back." In the meantime, the gun may have passed through half a dozen owners without the need of an FFL transfer and LEO might be SOL.

Not real hard to get an address from a handgun's serial number either.

LG

Well Lumpster ole Jack is right about it at least here in Texas. I was a deputy sheriff for 24 years and we could not get anyone's address or anything else from a gun's serial number. There is no gun registration in Texas. Maybe y'all have it out there but we don't. The ONLY thing and I do mean the only thing NCIC will reveal to us here is if the gun has been reported stolen or not.

Just another conspiracy myth. ;) FEAR drives this .

Yep, ya got that right.

Lumpy, come on and show us how its done. We don't care about NCIC, just the proof of what ya say. Ya want me to pm ya the serial number?

Well Lumpster ole Jack is right about it at least here in Texas. I was a deputy sheriff for 24 years and we could not get anyone's address or anything else from a gun's serial number. There is no gun registration in Texas. Maybe y'all have it out there but we don't. The ONLY thing and I do mean the only thing NCIC will reveal to us here is if the gun has been reported stolen or not.

Dontcha just love Texas! No gun registration, now how American is that!

Roy

hmmmm...NICS don't get serial numbers nor addresses unless an FFL as been deactivated.

:FlagAm:

Well Howdy Phantom,

Hey Pard, would you be comin' over to So. CA for the Gunfight?

Roy

Archived