SASS Wire Forum

Another Border Agent Killed and Another Wounded

Prayers up for family and friends.It is just a shame we can't protect our own from the scrum bags.

Our President has a sworn duty to protect the citizens of the United States. That cannot happen with porous borders. Our Border Agents should be joined by our Military at our borders, and a REAL fence should be built, with enough people to protect it. Prayers and condolences to the family and friends of this fallen officer....

My heart goes out to the family of the Agent killed and I offer support & wishes of a speedy recovery to the wounded agent.

I respectfully disagree with deploying the U.S. Military to the border.

Why? The U.S. Military is a force for meeting and destroying our enemies on the field of battle.

Not for police actions, nation building or watching the border.

20 Stat. L., 145

June 18, 1878

CHAP. 263 - An act making appropriations for the support of the Army for the fiscal year ending June thirtieth, eighteen hundred and seventy-nine, and for other purposes.

SEC. 15. From and after the passage of this act it shall not be lawful to employ any part of the Army of the United States, as a posse comitatus, or otherwise, for the purpose of executing the laws, except in such cases and under such circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized by the Constitution or by act of Congress; and no money appropriated by this act shall be used to pay any of the expenses incurred in the employment of any troops in violation of this section And any person willfully violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction thereof shall be punished by fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or imprisonment not exceeding two years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

10 U.S.C. (United States Code) 375

Sec. 375. Restriction on direct participation by military personnel:

The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to ensure that any activity (including the provision of any equipment or facility or the assignment or detail of any personnel) under this chapter does not include or permit direct participation by a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity unless participation in such activity by such member is otherwise authorized by law.

18 U.S.C. 1385

Sec. 1385. Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus

Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of

Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to

execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Editor's Note: The only exemption has to do with nuclear materials (18 U.S.C. 831 (e)

There is an Agency & Department with the SOLE PURPOSE is to guard the border: U.S. Customs & Border Patrol, Department of Homeland Security. Give THEM the tools & leeway to do their job.

:)

~William

:FlagAm:

I think transferring a billion or two from the armed forces to the border patrol would be okay. Interesting passage too. Clearly in this passage, an act of congress can assign troops to support the border patrol. Next, the way this reads [to me], it is intended to prevent local law enforcement from conscripting US armed forces to act as a posse. There is nothing in there to prevent the Federal Government from assigning US troops to close or secure our borders.

http://www.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/1002891/1002891.jpg

A serving cowboy.

Border Patrol agent Nicholas J. Ivie was originally from Provo, Utah.

God rest your soul & look upon your family, for you have served and served well.

~William

There are very good reasons NOT to station troops inside the United States borders. The most important one is it is against Federal Law. Second once you allow the military to become involved in enforcing civil laws where does the line stop? Stationing troops at highway checkpoints and in cities where drug traffic and illegals go? How many of your liberties are willing to give up to be required to show your government issued i.d., allow searches of your vehicle and provide proof of your reason for traveling?

Ben Franklin said “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

The Border Patrol is very good at their job. Sadly once in a while they lose one of their own.

Sadly, the border has definitely changed since the days of Skeeter Skelton. This is a tragic incident.

In a related article, it talks about some of the corruption within the U.S. Border Patrol and customs agents, citing that over 130 have either been convicted or indicted on corruption charges since 2004. I don't know how we can crack down on that. As far as I'm concerned, those involved in corruption are just as guilty for putting the lives of their co-workers in danger as those who pulled the trigger.

Related Article

My heart goes out to the family of the Agent killed and I offer support & wishes of a speedy recovery to the wounded agent.

I respectfully disagree with deploying the U.S. Military to the border.

Why? The U.S. Military is a force for meeting and destroying our enemies on the field of battle.

Not for police actions, nation building or watching the border.

There is an Agency & Department with the SOLE PURPOSE is to guard the border: U.S. Customs & Border Patrol, Department of Homeland Security. Give THEM the tools & leeway to do their job.

:)

~William

:FlagAm:

I agree 100%. Using Federal troops on US soil is really a last ditch solution to anything and could set a dangerous precedent.

The National Guard is already used on US soil in certain situations, and that was exactly who I was referring to.....

Coyotes, as they are called, are making tens of thousands of dollars a year smuggling illegals across the border, the going rate is $1500.00USD and up. Drug dealers have always padded their income by smuggling humans along with the drugs, since they were already coming this way.

I've lived on both sides of the border, many illegals have no more respect for US law enforcement than they do their own.

I'm all for giving more $$$ and resources to the Border Agents, but we don't have leaders with the stones to address this issue, and while the economy has slowed it down a bit, it is a problem that isn't going away.

There are many good Mexican people trying to come here to have a better life, and after living down there, I can understand why. But legal, controlled immigration must be used, and it should be the ONLY way to enter this country to stay.

It's a problem without a solution right now, and I don't look for it to get better anytime soon....

Well, the precedent for using troops has been set to establish martial law, federalize the National Guard and to quell labor riots.

I can see no reason for law enforcement, (read Homeland Security) not to spend some of the shoe inspection money, and obtain some of the military gear used for surveillance and beefed up protection.

Just think, some of those folks coming across the border as "undocumented" might want to kill U.S. citizens.

Naaaa, that would not be nice.

Well, the precedent for using troops has been set to establish martial law, federalize the National Guard and to quell labor riots.

I can see no reason for law enforcement, (read Homeland Security) not to spend some of the shoe inspection money, and obtain some of the military gear used for surveillance and beefed up protection.

Just think, some of those folks coming across the border as "undocumented" might want to kill U.S. citizens.

Naaaa, that would not be nice.

Border Patrol has a good amount of military sensors and surveillance equipment.

Hardware won't solve the problem.

Our Border Patrol is set up much different than many countries who use a unit that is much more military in nature and tactics. It may be time to make some Big changes.

I would rather see that than the US military being used.

In light of the failed War on Drugs and all the money we poured down that rathole, one would think that some of the monies could be diverted to actually fighting drug traffic rather than this silly merry go round of catch a crook/release a crook.

Porous borders and drug dealers are only one of the issues. What about foreign terrorist and assassins that come in to do us great harm. I suppose to the folks that run these things, that they are just boogy men under the bed.

The people who are now coming across our borders are enemies of the USA. Why do I say this. They are destroying this country from within.

Do you know how much of our tax dollars go to stop them and then how much it cost us to give them medical care, education, food, shelter and so on. The dollar amount is staggering.

We should revoke the free trade act with Mexico until they have as much enforcement on their side of the border. Why should we continue to give them funds and free trade when they are going to bring this country down to their level?

I'm sick and tried of seeing all the effort on one side and nothing at all on the other. Why do we continue to allow this, for one reason.

It is so that all the huge rich farmers with thousands of acres of produce can use these people for pennies a day to pick the crops. No other reason than pure greed. If they had to hire Americans they would have to pay a better wage and provide better working conditions. This would translate into them only making 5 million a year instead of the 10 million they now make.

If you don't think I'm correct then you are living in a Pollyanna world.

The entire thing has to do with the economy and for that we have young men dying for a cause that is not true.

Make one call to the president of Mexico and tell him to start keeping them from crossing or all ties will be cut.

It will not happen because the dollar is stronger than the sword.

It's not just agriculture jobs either, trust me. Look at the unemployment stats for kids high school and college age. Quite a few of our friends question mine and Buick's decision to pay our daughter's college expenses that aren't covered by her scholarship, saying we should make her work and earn the moeny herself. Nice idea, and I understand the thought behind it, but jobs for kids her age are so hard to find now that she would stand at best a 50% chance of finding any job, much less one with enough hours for her to earn enough money for college without it taking years, by which time the scholarship probably wouldn't be available anymore. Where did all the jobs go that used to be held by kids that age, well they didn't disappear, the jobs still exist, but teens aren't being hired for them anymore. Then people complain that kids have no work ethic and are too lazy to work, well, when no one will hire them how are they supposed to learn how to work??? Both Buick and I worked plenty of fast food and restaurant jobs in our youth, nowadays you flat out can't get those jobs (at least in this area) unless you speak Spanish, period :angry: Our daughter only speaks English, French, and some German....

Archived