SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Costume change

Actually, I wondered if this wasn't the result of having two browser windows open simultaneously... and although I agree with Phantom-borg (somewhat), I wonder if this doesn't belong on another, yet similar topic... step back from the computer... sensory overload is near... :ph34r:

yea...I hear ya Griff.

Don't some of ya get tired of hearing about how wonderfully heavy their loads are? Ya see, I don't care so long as yer within the rules...do what floats yer boat...and have a blast (no pun intended).

But being that I do set up every month, I see how our poor little targets get the crap beat outta them...and how hard it is to keep good steel out there for folks to enjoy while at the same time finding the funds to replace/repair them.

Beating up targets is not something one should brag about.

Anyway, back to your regularly schedules pissing match :lol:

yea...I hear ya Griff.

Don't some of ya get tired of hearing about how wonderfully heavy their loads are? Ya see, I don't care so long as yer within the rules...do what floats yer boat...and have a blast (no pun intended).

But being that I do set up every month, I see how our poor little targets get the crap beat outta them...and how hard it is to keep good steel out there for folks to enjoy while at the same time finding the funds to replace/repair them.

Beating up targets is not something one should brag about.

Anyway, back to your regularly schedules pissing match :lol:

+1

There is no need to KILL the targets. Guess what folks. They are already dead.

Hope those that think they need to kill that steel are there with check book in hand

when time comes to replace them.

+1

There is no need to KILL the targets. Guess what folks. They are already dead.

Hope those that think they need to kill that steel are there with check book in hand

when time comes to replace them.

Exactly!

Being so new to this sport...not sure if my two cents counts...but here goes.

I chose to shoot CC due to the costuming requirements and caliber. I've seen in old west photos, paintings, and movies (B-western, black and white, and newly authentic), cowboys wear both chain or chain with fob.

Page 14 of the SASS rulebook concerning CC costuming states: "Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no straw or palm hats allowed."

My current pocketwatch cost $10 from Wal-Mart w/ about a 12 inch chain. So...first...not even sure what a "full length chain" measurement is; much less spending even more on a watch fob than the watch is worth itself. Will a watch fob be added to it in the future...possibly. But for now...I'd like to keep the fob as an option, (lets call it an "above and beyond" personal choice addition) rather than an added requirement.

V/R,

N. Da Brig

Actually, if you count them, there are 12 positive alternatives to the costuming requirements, only five of which need to be worn at any one time to be legal, to wit: 1) Chaps;

2)Spurs; 3) tie or scarf tied loosely or w/ scarf slide; 4) Vest; 5) pocket watch w/ "full length" chain; 6) Jacket, 7) Sleeve Garters; 8) Knife; 9) Botas; 10) Leggings; 11) Braces; and 12) felt or cloth hat (no straw or palm). Whether you use a fob or chain on the pocket watch is your option, as long as you do not try to count it as one of the 5 minimum requirements with the fob alone. The rule is flexible enough to permit "Classic" shooting as a trainman (conductor or expressman), Doctor, Lawyer, Judge, etc. as well as Cowboy, and one must remember this is an elaborate game and not a re-enactment. A fob was originally a fairly weighty decorative object attached to the chain, to hold down the links from flopping around, such as a coin, gold nugget, Phi Beta Cappa key, Jewelry, etc. When "gentlemen" stopped wearing waistcoats (vests), the pocket watches went into the pants watch pocket with a leather strap or lanyard that hooked to the belt or belt loop to prevent loss and pull the watch from the pocket.

Bulldog

Archived