SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Costume change

I shoot Classic Cowboy all the time. Don't score high, but I have a lot of fun.

More than most in fact.

One small change in costuming I would like to see, is to include the use of a watch fob as part of the dress criteria.

It would be authentic, as, I think, most cowboys used a watch for rather than a chain, hence the phrase "Pull my time"

How about it?

Anybody else think it's something we should look at and ask the Wild Bunch to consider a watch fob or chain?

Regards

C.L.Kid

Being so new to this sport...not sure if my two cents counts...but here goes.

I chose to shoot CC due to the costuming requirements and caliber. I've seen in old west photos, paintings, and movies (B-western, black and white, and newly authentic), cowboys wear both chain or chain with fob.

Page 14 of the SASS rulebook concerning CC costuming states: "Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no straw or palm hats allowed."

My current pocketwatch cost $10 from Wal-Mart w/ about a 12 inch chain. So...first...not even sure what a "full length chain" measurement is; much less spending even more on a watch fob than the watch is worth itself. Will a watch fob be added to it in the future...possibly. But for now...I'd like to keep the fob as an option, (lets call it an "above and beyond" personal choice addition) rather than an added requirement.

V/R,

N. Da Brig

You've got seven options. Just make it number six. Move along, nothing to see here...

Boothill

But I want more!

Ringer:)

You've got seven options. Just make it number six. Move along, nothing to see here...

Boothill

+1

Snakebite

I chose to shoot CC due to the costuming requirements and caliber. I've seen in old west photos, paintings, and movies (B-western, black and white, and newly authentic), cowboys wear both chain or chain with fob.

My current pocketwatch cost $10 from Wal-Mart w/ about a 12 inch chain. So...first...not even sure what a "full length chain" measurement is; much less spending even more on a watch fob than the watch is worth itself. Will a watch fob be added to it in the future...possibly. But for now...I'd like to keep the fob as an option, (lets call it an "above and beyond" personal choice addition) rather than an added requirement.

V/R,

N. Da Brig

'Nuff said.

Ghost

Yep... I could get worked up over the all-fired want to allow moccasins and my buckskins in CC also. But... then again, it ain't very comfortable to wear spurs on moccasins, and chaps or botas suddenly take on a redundancy that borders on stoopid, a vest with full bucksins (including war shirt), is sorta "out in left field" also. The watch chain requirement vs a simple fob is deliberate. A watch with fob is easy enough to wear, and just as easily documented as being correct. However, and this is not intended as a personal insult to any single person, but as soon as you allow a watch with only a fob and remove the chain requirement there will be 100 new cowboys with a watch and a fob stuffed down in their pants pocket, where it's not a hinderance, not likely to become entangled with anything else. AND CLEARLY NOT WITHIN THE INTENT AND SPIRIT OF THIS CATEGORY! Is that what you want?

I wear Levi 501s almost all the time (no discussion of their politics allowed), and like other un-named "Johnny come latelys", they have a nifty pocket over the right front pocket that many in today's world assume is for their coins. No, it was initially included as a convenience to place a "pocket watch". As men ceased wearing vests, and the "wrist watch" was not yet in vogue, workin' fellars needed a place to store their watch as they toiled at whatever labor they did. And while that may constitute compliance with the requirement to wear said accroutement as it was intended, it is, according to my research, a practice that came a bit later than the period the Classic Cowboy is intended to represent. Which is of the cattle drive era following the War of Northern Aggression thru the 1880s. A chain provides one thing that a fob doesn't, security. A good chain, with a good button-hole anchor will keep your watch with your person. a fob is just a simple means of pullin' your watch from your pocket. It really provides no security from droppin' the watch. A working cowboy of this era that was rich enough to own a watch, doing strenous, physical labor, was very likely to remove his vest, (and/or watch) and leave it in a saddle bag or on a corral post as they went about their labors. Someplace where it wasn't going to get "in the way".

The watch chain is most certainly a consideration in one's gun handling. In fast movements and quick gun handling, one needs to be cognizant of its presence and avoid entanglement with things like the hammers on your double, barrels on your six-guns as you go stuffin' 'em in your holsters, why even your own thumbs can get entangled as you go reachin' into your vest pocket for more shotshells... No, fobs alone would lead to a ever increasing slippery slope diluting the intent and spirit of this noble category.

Others are welcome to their opinions and I'll protect their right to state them freely and with equal conviction for so long as I have breath. So, let's hear 'em.

(Edited to note: the above is predicated on the interpretation that you want to allow a CC to NOT use a chain, but allow the substitution of a simple fob... as the current rules do not preclude you from adding a fob to your chain).

Ah wear da watch with da button hole anchor and da Fob(a dummy round).....................

Keep da chain or I might loose either da Fob or da watch ....... Keeps me connected .....

Jabez Cowboy

But I want more!

Ringer:)

Braces

chaps/leggin's/botas

knife

spurs

cuffs

watch & CHAIN

garters

scarf

vest

drink cup

cigar nipper

quirt

stampede string

leather gloves

duster/sheepskin/slicker/capote

fur hat (winter allowable at most Rocky Mtn clubs)

Braces

chaps/leggin's/botas

knife

spurs

cuffs

watch & CHAIN

garters

scarf

vest

drink cup

cigar nipper

quirt

stampede string

leather gloves

duster/sheepskin/slicker/capote

fur hat (winter allowable at most Rocky Mtn clubs)

Now that's better!

Thanks Brother.

[HIJACK MODE ON] Real Classic Cowboys do shoot black powder!![HIJACK MODE OFF]

There's nothing at all keeping all y'all from shooting. Holy Crap, except that you'd like to FORCE it on everyone else first.

Classic Cowboy as Ghost is proud to remind us, is abput being "willin'". Walk the talk or get back on the bench?

Cowhand- sure would love to see you lead the charge (pun intended).

Yep... I could get worked up over the all-fired want to allow moccasins and my buckskins in CC also. But... then again, it ain't very comfortable to wear spurs on moccasins, and chaps or botas suddenly take on a redundancy that borders on stoopid, a vest with full bucksins (including war shirt), is sorta "out in left field" also. The watch chain requirement vs a simple fob is deliberate. A watch with fob is easy enough to wear, and just as easily documented as being correct. However, and this is not intended as a personal insult to any single person, but as soon as you allow a watch with only a fob and remove the chain requirement there will be 100 new cowboys with a watch and a fob stuffed down in their pants pocket, where it's not a hinderance, not likely to become entangled with anything else. AND CLEARLY NOT WITHIN THE INTENT AND SPIRIT OF THIS CATEGORY! Is that what you want?

I wear Levi 501s almost all the time (no discussion of their politics allowed), and like other un-named "Johnny come latelys", they have a nifty pocket over the right front pocket that many in today's world assume is for their coins. No, it was initially included as a convenience to place a "pocket watch". As men ceased wearing vests, and the "wrist watch" was not yet in vogue, workin' fellars needed a place to store their watch as they toiled at whatever labor they did. And while that may constitute compliance with the requirement to wear said accroutement as it was intended, it is, according to my research, a practice that came a bit later than the period the Classic Cowboy is intended to represent. Which is of the cattle drive era following the War of Northern Aggression thru the 1880s. A chain provides one thing that a fob doesn't, security. A good chain, with a good button-hole anchor will keep your watch with your person. a fob is just a simple means of pullin' your watch from your pocket. It really provides no security from droppin' the watch. A working cowboy of this era that was rich enough to own a watch, doing strenous, physical labor, was very likely to remove his vest, (and/or watch) and leave it in a saddle bag or on a corral post as they went about their labors. Someplace where it wasn't going to get "in the way".

The watch chain is most certainly a consideration in one's gun handling. In fast movements and quick gun handling, one needs to be cognizant of its presence and avoid entanglement with things like the hammers on your double, barrels on your six-guns as you go stuffin' 'em in your holsters, why even your own thumbs can get entangled as you go reachin' into your vest pocket for more shotshells... No, fobs alone would lead to a ever increasing slippery slope diluting the intent and spirit of this noble category.

Others are welcome to their opinions and I'll protect their right to state them freely and with equal conviction for so long as I have breath. So, let's hear 'em.

(Edited to note: the above is predicated on the interpretation that you want to allow a CC to NOT use a chain, but allow the substitution of a simple fob... as the current rules do not preclude you from adding a fob to your chain).

And here I thought that "nifty litle pocket" over the right front pocket was for the old time cowboys to keep their cell phones in!

I'm new to the game, and shoot 38s, so classic is out for me, but I do enjoy checking ut the classic garb on the guys that choose it. Heck, I may even dress CC, but still just shoot 49er, just because I like the way it looks! Back in my misspent youth, I spent a lot of time on horseback, used to go to the barn early, feed and sometimes ride a little, then go to school. On more than one occasion, I wound up at school with my spurs still on.

Brother King I wouldn't FORCE anything on anyone. Im for leaving things as they are. If there were a change such as watch chain, powder or who knows what. I would adapt or shoot another category.

But still I'm surprised this category isn't using the black stuff.

You know, mixing gunfighter in the category would be fun!

Let it be, there are enough other items to choose from to meet minimum costuming requirements!

TB

Brother King I wouldn't FORCE anything on anyone. Im for leaving things as they are. If there were a change such as watch chain, powder or who knows what. I would adapt or shoot another category.

But still I'm surprised this category isn't using the black stuff.

You know, mixing gunfighter in the category would be fun!

SO DO I! but, without the HC... I'm just too lazy to clean guns every-dang-day and three times on the weekend. You know that I think you could probably win shooting spitwads thru a TP holder.

But, that black ring around your lips is gonna leave a mark! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :lol:

Nothing says ya can't shoot BP in CLASSIC COWBOY, if ya meet all the other reqirements, ya just can't shoot GUNFIGHTER STYLE.

Why heck, I shoot BP once a year at TRAILHEAD (Columbus,TX) using my '51 Navies.

Ya just have ta be willin'.

Ghost

I, too, would change Classic to bp if it were up to me. I'd also support a power factor similar to Wild Bunch specs. Ain't never gonna happen. :angry:

:ph34r: works for me too!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Wow......I wonder how many CC shooters there would be? If black powder and gunfighter where originally installed in the category. I don't know but sure would look cool. I can see it now.....the crowd going wild as you walk to the unload table. The sky filled with smoke andTex laughing in the background.........lol....

Now that we've wandered away from the original post, I'll put in my two cents worth: I shot CC with black for quite a while, but decided to go to smokeless this year, and guess what? My times decreased by an average of ten seconds per stage. I didn't know I could shoot that fast! :D I even managed to win CC at the Idaho State Championship, but since I'm from that heathen state across the river to the west of there, my good pard GrubSlinger is the Idaho State Champion Classic Cowboy :D

Re. the watch fob thing: Like Boothill Bandit said, just put on your five costume items then add the fob. Couldn't be easier!

I would like to see a minium power factor increace for CC for those using Cartridge Guns ,,,, Say to 120 ....

And I would like to see "Gunfighter" style allowed in CC ....

And for My third Wish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I wish "0" bama was Gone !!!

Jabez Cowboy

I, too, would change Classic to bp if it were up to me. I'd also support a power factor similar to Wild Bunch specs.

All for it, BD and CH! Have shot CC that way several times. Always lots of fun.

The WB power factor (150) makes a lot of sense - it's set at a level that is easily obtainable by CC caliber guns, and means you would load (rifle) ammo to the same level for CC or WB.

In fact, I'm already at those PF levels, come to think of it. ;)

Good luck, GJ

Yep, GJ... and I think most who shoot CC are already at the 150 PF levels. I chron'ed my WB,CC loads the same day rifle and pistol before going to EOT. Even my 'loaded down' 180gr were cookin' 1000+ fps rifle and PF 165 /1911 and 171/ SAA. Guess I could save on some TB?

Yep, GJ... and I think most who shoot CC are already at the 150 PF levels. I chron'ed my WB,CC loads the same day rifle and pistol before going to EOT. Even my 'loaded down' 180gr were cookin' 1000+ fps rifle and PF 165 /1911 and 171/ SAA. Guess I could save on some TB?

You're correct Brother King, I just chrono-ed my CC loads (200gr .45 LC) at an avg. of 755 fps in my pistol and avg. of 795 fps in my '73. Both over the 150 pF. I dare say that alot of .38 shooters are way below that. I would also dare say that most CLASSIC COWBOYS are at the 150 PF or at least close.

Ghost

When I shoot my "Open-Top" in duelist I use a 160 gr, RNFP bullet in .38 special that clears the muzzle at 960 Fps. making the 150 + a little ....

My .45s are all over the 235 PF.... And my .44s are all over 220 PF ....

But You can shoot what you want ................................

Jabez Cowboy

When I shoot my "Open-Top" in duelist I use a 160 gr, RNFP bullet in .38 special that clears the muzzle at 960 Fps. making the 150 + a little ....

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks for beatin the crap out of club's targets...all for your enjoyment....but besides, do you think we care????

Got some coffee brewin...

:mellow:

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks for beatin the crap out of club's targets...all for your enjoyment....but besides, do you think we care????

Got some coffee brewin...

:mellow:

Actually, I wondered if this wasn't the result of having two browser windows open simultaneously... and although I agree with Phantom-borg (somewhat), I wonder if this doesn't belong on another, yet similar topic... step back from the computer... sensory overload is near... :ph34r:

Archived