SASS Wire Forum

Tornados from the barrel

Why wouldn't water in the barrel work like any other obstruction and endanger the gun and shooter?

Water is not an obstruction, it is an impediment. It will slow the projectile down but not block it. Because my old agency used watercraft a lot, our Glocks had the maritime spring cups mod which allowed the firing pin to move at normal speed and avoid light primer strikes due to hydraulic pressure. The main purpose was to allow the gun to fire not necessarily completely submerged but in an emergency if your barrel might be full of water and you had no time to clear it. We did test fire them underwater and they worked fine.

It will create higher pressures. I was told less than a proof load though.

A cheap gun would probably self destruct.

Water is not an obstruction, it is an impediment. It will slow the projectile down but not block it. Because my old agency used watercraft a lot, our Glocks had the maritime spring cups mod which allowed the firing pin to move at normal speed and avoid light primer strikes due to hydraulic pressure. The main purpose was to allow the gun to fire not necessarily completely submerged but in an emergency if your barrel might be full of water and you had no time to clear it. We did test fire them underwater and they worked fine.

Add to that that the water is all around everything so it is just a different medium for the projectile to move through. Not as if the projectile moved through air and then slowed down, trapping the already expanding gasses.

Neat - yet there is probably a lot of stress beyond the norm when firing in the water as attested to the recoil mentioned. Sure makes for some fine 'splatter jewelry' though....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks. Very clear explanation for a novice in underwater stuff.

(I always thought those Glocks lacked only a blue plastic plug on the back of the slide to look like a squirt gun. :D)

I suspect it's a matter of the water getting out of the way before dangerous pressures build up. Water at 100 ft depth might have an entirely different outcome.

The water in a 4" 45 caliber barrel in front of the bullet weighs about 36 grains. Firing the Glock under water, assuming a 230 grain bullet, would be as if he fired the same round with a 276 grain bullet.

I think the videos are cool and all, but I think he's about one step from being featured in a Darwin Award. The water would probably prevent any pieces from leaving the pool, but his hand will feel it.

The instructors we had test the underwater functioning said the recoil was stiff but not hideous.

You do need earpugs and muffs though.;)

Archived