SASS Wire Forum

Bloody Hell!

Subdeacon Joe

U.S. Soldier Draws Fire Away From Squad

I got hit a total of four times. My helmet cam died and I made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT when we got hit. The rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn’t start the video until a few minutes into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety. A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal. bullet hole in it and was rendered useless. This footage is part of an ongoing documentation of the war in Afghanistan.

The video in the link has some pungent language in it.

I guess he was successful in drawing fire. :wacko: It's kind of hard to tell but it looks like our troops had the high ground and there looked like lots of cover was available. What purpose did waltzing down the side of hillside serve? <_< When the rounds are popping rocks all around you, it's time to pick up the pace or get behind something. :FlagAm:

?I have to call into question this soldiers level of intelligence. As a recent soldier myself, I would be scared to fight beside this man. Where were the tactics? Where was the suppressing fire? Why wasn't he using the 203 from cover? You can see rounds impacting feet from him and he lays there, or moves about in the open. Pick a target, light it up.

:o

Not having a military background, I have no comment about what or why the soldier was out in the open. I found it amazing as to how slow everything seemed to be moving, and thinking to myself "darn good thing the enemy did not have a good sniper". I could not see where the enemy was firing from, I am just guessing that it must have been 100s of yards away.

?I have to call into question this soldiers level of intelligence. As a recent soldier myself, I would be scared to fight beside this man. Where were the tactics? Where was the suppressing fire? Why wasn't he using the 203 from cover? You can see rounds impacting feet from him and he lays there, or moves about in the open. Pick a target, light it up.

Not really enough info to assess the tactical situation for me.

Not really enough info to assess the tactical situation for me.

This is true to a point. It is clear to me however, that the stress of the situation has made him forget all his training. You see further into the video that cover is mere yards away, but it takes him halfway through the video to make it there. You can also see from the way he is popping off rounds ( watching the way he moves his muzzle shot to shot in a string) that he has no idea where the enemy is holed up and he is just throwing out rounds hoping to keep heads down. I have seen many soldiers react this same way even just in high stress training simulators.

Archived